Starboard vs port side

foxcent

Port (left side facing towards the front of the ship) is left, and Starboard is the right side. Cabin numbers on the Port side are even, Starboard are odd numbers. As far as which side to see pier runners, that is impossible to determine, as the ship can dock on either side depending on the port of call.

Forgive the stupid question, but... what are the runners?:confused:

I thought that too! Hopefully someone can say?

OP look on the deck pictures for the ship - they are available on the site. Look at the route you are taking. If you are wanting to see coastline and your route hugs say, the Italian coastline, check the direction you are taking and chose based on what you want.

Mine on the 26th is leaving Barca for Sicily, then hugging the Italian coast all the way round to Marseille, so I've chosen a right sided (Starboard) room.

Edited by les37b

Pier runners are guests returning late to the ship.

You can find many videos on YouTube on pier runners - especially Cozumel is a famous port for them.

But to book a specific cabin just for watching pier runners? Blows my mind.:D

My husband and I enjoy watching for pier runners (people running frantically down the pier to make it back to the ship in time before sailing). It's best to be on the side of the ship that is next to the dock, but as already mentioned, it's no longer guaranteed that it is "port" side.

I wouldn't pick a side based on this, but instead choose for other location (near/far from stair/elevators, what's above or below, connecting rooms, etc) and just cross your fingers that you "win" in docking randomness.

-Sarah

Pier runners are guests returning late to the ship.

You can find many videos on YouTube on pier runners - especially Cozumel is a famous port for them.

But to book a specific cabin just for watching pier runners? Blows my mind.:D

Haha... Ok, had they prefixed runners with pier, I probably would have worked it out. Yes I've seen people frantically running to get back in clips. I'm always punctual (read that as early in case of eventualities) so I'd like to think I'd not going to appear on YouTube in that capacity! Lol

That said, I'd be at the bar making sure I get my 15 drinks in to worry about late comers and a room based on spotting them. :D

Like others have said, you cannot be guaranteed a pier view from your cabin based on the side of the ship that you book. The nice thing with the Vista is that there is plenty of open deck space on the Promenade deck (5) from which you can watch the runners, although I believe there are tall plexiglas windows so yelling at them would lose the effect.:)

Port (left side facing towards the front of the ship) is left, and Starboard is the right side. Cabin numbers on the Port side are even, Starboard are odd numbers. As far as which side to see pier runners, that is impossible to determine, as the ship can dock on either side depending on the port of call.

^^^ This. and a ship can pull in or back in depending on circumstances.

The guaranteed place to see a pier runner is to be chasing one.

My husband and I enjoy watching for pier runners (people running frantically down the pier to make it back to the ship in time before sailing). It's best to be on the side of the ship that is next to the dock, but as already mentioned, it's no longer guaranteed that it is "port" side.

I wouldn't pick a side based on this, but instead choose for other location (near/far from stair/elevators, what's above or below, connecting rooms, etc) and just cross your fingers that you "win" in docking randomness.

-Sarah

Yes laundrygal you are right, I may have to go up a few decks and check both sides then come back and enjoy my balcony

Oooooh I am on the port side right at the front... I should have a great view of the runners:D.... just hope I'm never one of them!:eek:

Yes you would, you have an excellent room. Do you have a periscope???? I'm looking for someone to periscope from the ship??????

-Sarah

Yes it is a done deal anyway I was just wondering I have my Balcony room already.....

like others have said, you cannot be guaranteed a pier view from your cabin based on the side of the ship that you book. The nice thing with the vista is that there is plenty of open deck space on the promenade deck (5) from which you can watch the runners, although i believe there are tall plexiglas windows so yelling at them would lose the effect.:)

lol

Edited by foxcent

Forgive the stupid question, but... what are the runners?:confused:

runners are the late guests scrambling to get back to the ship before it leaves them at port. We usually get back on ship with time to shower and get a beverage, then sit on our balcony to watch the runners. :)