Secret to an upgrade, I found it!!!!!!!!!

Well I think I have found out on way to get a upgrade for sure. I booked a Aft cabin in Legend of the Seas 12/3/05 way back on Jan. 05. This is our 10th cruise. We wanted a aft cabin and chose one that looked as if it had a larger balcony. Very happy with this choice. In Sept. while doing the on line reg. with RCL I noticed our cabin had been upgraded to a JS on the port side.

Well, I was outraged. We only chose this ship because we could get a aft cabin at a very reasonable rate. (never had aft before). It was Labor Day weekend TA was closed. RCL refused to talk to me because we booked thru a TA. Had to wait till tues. after holiday to try and solve this. And they did give us back our cabin. Since then I keep a close eye in it though the web site to make sure no one else moved us.

This past sunday I checked again. We still okay. (TA has noted in our reservation, DO NOT UPGRADE!) Then on monday I get home from work and I get a e-mail that congratulations you have been upgraded to a JS portside. I am FURIOUS, raging mad woman. Call the TA, he's not there. Leave 2 messages. Call back and speak to someone who is there in the eve. to field phone calls. She tried to help me but of course that department at RCL was closed for the day. I ranted for awhile, she was nice enough to listen. I expressed that in all of our cruises I have never experienced such a thing with any cruise line. She then expalined that our cabin has a connecting door. So RCL is now trying to place GTY passengers. They want our room so they can accomadate another booking. The ship is full. Well the next morning I did get a call from the owner of the Agency and she said she called RCL and they moved us back. What a nightmare

So the secret to get a upgrade is always book a room with a connecting door. Even if you choose your cabin and RCL wants it , they will boot you right out and give you a upgrade.

But if you really want that cabin you will have to fight like a mad dog to keep it.!!!! grrrrrrrrrrr

Wow, glad you got your original cabin back. I recently read here about something similar happening to someone else. We have an aft balcony booked for our Hawaii cruise on the Radiance next May...I'm not sure I'd want an upgrade either. I guess it depends where on the ship it was.

Z- I'm glad you fought to get your cabin back -- and won!

I've been thinking about that happening. I've heard before about couples in Aft cabins getting "upgraded" so that RCL can put groups of 3 or 4 in those cabins.

We booked the corner aft on Rhapsody for our upcoming March cruise... but we booked it back in April of last year! I too would be pretty upset if they took it away from us.

We kind of have a saying in our house: Either we get an aft balcony or we just save the $$$ and do without a balcony. Putting me on the side - even in a Jr. Suite - wouldn't make me too happy either.

Have a great cruise!

I agree with JSR. Seems like if you really, really don't want an upgrade, you'll get one. By the way, JMHO -- I've had the much sought after Voyager class 1688 aft corner and I've had a side JS. I'd take the side JS over an aft D-1 (even 1288 and 1688) every time. The OP must never have had a JS!! And, to have deliberately selected a cabin with a connecting door . . . . well, to each his own!

I must admit, I'm surprised at what LynCruiser said. I've had a corner aft JS, a D and a side JS on Rhapsody - and I would never trade an corner D aft cabin for a side JS! The aft cabin was the best - I would be devastated to be "upgraded"!

I guess it's just my preference, but a JS is sooo much nicer than any D1 including 1688 (at least on Voyager class ships) that I'd jump at the chance for a free upgrade to a JS. I wouldn't care where it was. The aft is nice, but we found engine vibrations to be quite strong back there, especially coming into ports. It's also a very long walk every time you want to go to your cabin. Plus, the larger balcony doesn't seem that much larger to us that a big side JS balcony.

A JS has tons of room, the sitting area is by the sliding glass doors (instead of the bed being there), you get a much upgraded bathroom with a tub, and a huge (I mean huge) walk-in closet. The furniture is nicer, too -- a big comfy chair with ottoman and a much nicer, much easier to sleep on sofa bed.

Those are the reasons I'd take a side JS over an aft D1 any day if they were the same price!

I guess next time I'll book an aft D1 and hope for an upgrade (or downgrade depending on your point of view) to a side JS!

"Hope this is not contagious to other cruise lines. DH and I have an aft extended balcony booked for our Carnival Spirit cruise to Alaska. If they even dream about upgrading me out of that cabin, they'd better wake up and apologize :D"

Unfortunately it IS! I had booked a corner aft (7440) on Carnival's Glory as a surprise for DH. We received our Doc's & everything was fine except for missing our Bahama Immigration card. When I called to ask if they could send us one they said sure. A few days later we received a whole new set of Doc's. I thought that was a little "overkill" until I started checking the luggage tags & found out we'd been upgraded to a Cat. 11 Suite! DH, thought I had gone off the deep end when I got upset over the upgrade, until I finally broke down & showed him the deck plan & the cabin I had booked. It took some fighting but we DID get our cabin back too. The balcony was AWESOME, but if I had it to do over, I'd go with the Suite!

Just got back from the Jewel. We had booked the corner Js cabin 1100 a year ago. Got to the ship early, checked in, went and got something to eat. Finally went to the room & the cabin attendant was just finishing up. We decided to take a nap. We were laying in bed & someone opened the door & was saying how nice the room was & how big the cabin was. Then they noticed we were in the bed & left. We got up & said did we just hear someone in the cabin. Tried our seapass & they would not open the door. Down to the Purser's desk. The other couple reconized my clothes which had been on the chair. They told us we had been "up graded " to a grand suite. My wife wanted to look at the new cabin before accepting. The purser told us 1100 was no longer our cabin. WRONG I informed him we had booked this cabin over a year ago & if we wanted it we would have it. The grand suite was a larger room but the balcony was much smaller & had an over hang. We went back & told him we wanted 1100. This time he was nice & gave us no hassles(think he noticed this was our 22 cruise with RCCL).

Moral of the story if you want upgraded book a great room.

Hi:

Is the only way to check and see if you have been bumped and upgraded by registering? We have an aft cabin on a Med cruise 2006 and there are no balconies available on that cruise and it's 11 months away. Want to keep our cabin even though it's on deck 7.

Snowbird

WOW Foxtrot, that is unreal. What did you cruise docs say your cabin number was? And what did your seapass card say? (Cant remember if your Cabin number is on your sea pass card?) I really hope I do not have anymore problems with RCL on this. They are my favorite cruise lines, I would hate to have to change out of frustration. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Thats exaclty what this board is all about. Hope you had a wonderful cruise.

Our documents said cabin 1100. Your sea pass only has the last 3 digits of your room number, ours said 100. We left out of Boston & for 1 1/2 days had a storm. Waves 30+ & winds reached 108 mph. The capt. said it was the worst storm he has seen. After that the weather was very nice. We had a fantastic time. Life is an adventure, these just add 2 more chapters to the book of life.

The same thing happened to a couple who booked the aft balcony cabin on JOS for Nov 1. They did not want the upgrade and had to fight to get the cabin they booked back. They also booked over a year in advance.

Hope this is not contagious to other cruise lines. DH and I have an aft extended balcony booked for our Carnival Spirit cruise to Alaska. If they even dream about upgrading me out of that cabin, they'd better wake up and apologize :D

I agree. We have a connecting door in our JS, aft on the Inaugural sailing on the Freedom...let's hope this isn’t the secret to an upgrade! And this would not be the time nor the place to upgrade us…lol!

Good news that you were able to keep your original booking!

C

The same thing happened to a couple who booked the aft balcony cabin on JOS for Nov 1. They did not want the upgrade and had to fight to get the cabin they booked back. They also booked over a year in advance.

You know, I heard the JOS November 1st passengers are not ones which like to have their feathers ruffled…lol! :p

C

Ya know, it seems that people that have picked aft cabins have chose it a year or more in advance. The first cabins to go usually. And it seems that you have to throw a fit to keep it. So you would think that RCL would stop putting there staff, TA's and more importantly their paying consumer though so much to keep what they paid for.

There was another couple with an aft cabin who got up graded. They called the Miami office to straighten things out. I did email RCL to let them know what happened. Let them know they should not up grade people with aft cabins. Also suggested they could up grade us on our next 2 cruises (not aft cabin).

Archived