Skagway WP&Y Train #1 Loading Area

Heartgrove

We are leaving soon for our cruise and I am trying to determine where the bus and train meet in the morning in Skagway for Carcross. It is the first train of the day. I know we will ride a bus to the shop area to board the train. Looking at Google Earth, it appears there is a roadway off of Main St. that parallels the NB track. Does anyone know if this the boarding area used?

Seriously, don't try to figure this out thousands of miles away. You can bet your bottom dollar there will be signs and people willing to assist.

I'm just trying to plan ahead for seating on the train.

The engine will be in the front of the train. The bus will drop you off right by the passenger cars. You'll have seats available to you. You'll perhaps be told which cars to remain in; I've heard that the private operators get an assigned car, but don't remember being told to stay out of a particular when we did it via the cruise line.

As RuthlessBoss said, you're overthinking this. When we did it, we picked (or were led to) the last car, and it was maybe 40% full. My wife and I were easily able to each get a seat to ourselves, so we did opposite sides. Everyone who went out on the aft platform was super-willing to rotate so everyone could get good shots. Relax and enjoy your vacation.

I do not understand how the location of the boarding area affects where you sit on the train. Also, what effect does your seat location have on the train trip. You are not chained to your seat and you can get up and walk around. When we did the train trip, i constantly changed my location to get the best view even including standing in the vestibule between the cars.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

It seems hard for others to grasp but I'm just trying to do some logistical pre-planning. In hindsight I realize that this question should have been posted on a rail forum. I do appreciate these honest responses though

I have participated on too many rail excursions where it has been elbows-to-elbows - and non-moving railing huggers. Of course, being a train we are free to move about. Hopefully I have some nice fellow passengers as peety3 had.

Did the train to Carcross July, 2014 through Chilkoot Charters and Tours. They met us at the foot of the pier and drove us to our (Chilkoot) railcar. Chilkoot had one car exclusive just for their group...there were no more than 24 in our group so our car was probably no more than half occupied. I spent the whole journey outside anyway!

The same driver met us in Carcross and drove us back to Skagway with plenty of stops including those larger busses could not accommodate.

Relax, enjoy the day!

Edited by TinCan782

My concern was if the train needed to use the reverse loop at the shops to leave. That would skew the side to sit on.

Hence the reason I started my reply with the most important piece you needed to know: the engine will be in the front of the train. If you're concerned about sides, sit with your left shoulder closer to a window than your right shoulder if your eyes are looking toward the engine.. It's a century+ old rail line, and the other end of the line has a reversing wye, so the engine remains in front so they can see what they're about to hit (a joke, but you hopefully understand the reference).

• 3 weeks later...

Just a followup after our cruise and excursion. My question came from the perceived congestion of the multiple trains involved with 10K ship passengers off four cruise ships in Skagway that day.

The day was clear but cool. We were shuttled, by the bus that would bring us back from Carcross, YT, from the ship to the depot in the downtown area. We didn't leave from the shops area like I thought would happen. The train was more popular than I expected and longer with seven passenger cars, a baggage car, and two locomotives. We rode in one of the Hamilton-built cars for our trip.

The scenery on the ride up could not have been better with mirror images of the mountains reflected in the water. Normally, I guess, it could be small whitecaps. Our narrator commented that he had seen this only a handful of times before! WP&Y must clean the car windows religiously as they were spotless.

The only disappointment was the box lunch provided instead of the served meal as in years past. We received a rather lame letter the night before on the ship apologizing for the substitution by the tour operator. My wife is gluten-intolerant so the box lunch's sandwich was a poor choice for her.

Edited by Heartgrove

The only disappointment was the box lunch provided instead of the served meal as in years past. We received a rather lame letter the night before on the ship apologizing for the substitution by the tour operator. My wife is gluten-intolerant so the box lunch's sandwich was a poor choice for her.

This has been known and discussed here for months. Surely it shouldn't have been a surprise to the "ship". They should have notified you long before the actual trip, and then you could have requested a special meal for your wife.

This has been known and discussed here for months. Surely it shouldn't have been a surprise to the "ship". They should have notified you long before the actual trip, and then you could have requested a special meal for your wife.

Right, I recall reading it here as well. But with the excitement of the cruise I blew following through. :o However, if there was to be a known substitution there should have been a checklist with options available. Not that the meal is a large part of the cost (not cheap!) but it should provide some satisfaction.