7 Day Adriatic vs 7 Day Western Mediterranean

Wawa18

We recently received a complimentary 7 day cruise with Norwegian and have never been to Europe and we have the choice to do the 7-day Western Mediterranean or the 7 day Adriatic, Greece & Turkey from Venice or the 7 day Greek Isles from Venice.

We can even do the two Greek Isles or Adriatic back to back if we want to because we received two offers.

I really would like to see Italy and France so the 7 day Western from Barcelona sounds great but being we have never been to Europe any cruise would be wonderful. Would anyone that has been on these cruises have a preference or advise on what would be a better option for us. We really are torn and any input would be so much appreciated.

Thank You.:):)

Edited by Wawa18

We recently received a complimentary 7 day cruise with Norwegian and have never been to Europe and we have the choice to do the 7-day Western Mediterranean or the 7 day Adriatic, Greece & Turkey from Venice or the 7 day Greek Isles from Venice.

We can even do the two Greek Isles or Adriatic back to back if we want to because we received two offers.

I really would like to see Italy and France so the 7 day Western from Barcelona sounds great but being we have never been to Europe any cruise would be wonderful. Would anyone that has been on these cruises have a preference or advise on what would be a better option for us. We really are torn and any input would be so much appreciated.

Thank You.:):)

Both itineraries are great and you will not go wrong picking either of them. But your choice probably will come down to a matter of personal preferences, related costs the cruise line is not covering, possible hesitancy toward visiting some locations due to possible safety considerations, and/or airfare and hotel considerations.

If money and time is not a consideration, you could consider doing both if the calendar aligns. You could fly from Barcelona to Venice in not much more than an hour or 2 for not much money.

I would research the various ports of both and decide what interests you most.

Some ports are easy to do and don't require anyone else to be involved. Some ports will require you to arrange significant public or private transportation to get to major sites (Rome, Livorno, etc.). I would research flight cost and availability and factor that in.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

What a great problem to have! Either itinerary would be great. We did a Western Med cruise and loved the ports. We spent an extra 3 days in Rome and ended with 2 days in Barcelona. We met up with people we met here on CC on our roll call to split the costs of the excursions to make it more affordable. Some of the excursions required a deposit or the total paid up front. It made me nervous to pay it, but no problems at all. We usually had between 5 and 10 on each excursion and everyone paid their portion. I was shocked that we didn't have any no shows or anyone who didn't pay their portion. Guess CC people are honest!

If I had the time/money to do both I would! Airfare and excursions were the major costs for Europe. Hotels in Rome were high. The cruise was the cheapest part!

Having done the Med on both sides of Italy, I would say that the western side is more historic and the eastern side is more picturesque. Doing the western side from Barcelona is an easier board as there is a significant journey from Rome to Civitevechia. On the other hand, if you set off from Rome/Civitevechia you can have pre-cruise time in Rome if you have never been there before and you will be able to see Barcelona easily from the dock there.

The eastern cruise has the outrageous benefit of a sail-away from Venice - an absolutely lifetime event. There are usually stops in the Adriatic as well that are beautiful, plus usual day to see Athens and probably have the chance to see the gorgeous Santorini.

You pays your money and takes the choice. Both are great in their own way.

I don't know what the details of your offer are, but some of the promos are only valid for an outside or above, so we booked our last two cruises in an Oceanview as the value of the perks we received cancelled out the increased cost for the upgrade. We saw it as a free window. If you get the upgrade perks, and depending on pricing, it might be something to think about?

I'm sure someone else can chime in with how much you see from the ship/how worth it they think it is for those particular itineraries...

Having done the Med on both sides of Italy, I would say that the western side is more historic and the eastern side is more picturesque.

The eastern cruise has the outrageous benefit of a sail-away from Venice - an absolutely lifetime event. There are usually stops in the Adriatic as well that are beautiful, plus usual day to see Athens and probably have the chance to see the gorgeous Santorini.

You pays your money and takes the choice. Both are great in their own way.

I like your comparison of East and Western Med - and agree. The great ports of NAples Rome and Livorno and somewhere in Provence make for a wonderful cruise, but Greece is lovely. Either way you will have an interesting holiday.

I thought Venice had banned giant cruise ships. I really want to do that sailaway myself but DH will not fly so I am stuck with Barcelona (not really so much of a hardship though!!)

Booked the 7 day Western and paid for balcony upgrade. I thought since it's the first time it may be worth it. The Ocean view wasn't an option?. Maybe the ship? EPIC? We were also able to get promos too "Free at Sea". I love scenery so I am hoping that wasn't a mistake. We will sail in September. Your advise is invalid me..so greatful.