Dining Issues...Explorer to Alaska May 20-27

I dont think I have ever seen a breakfast offering in cafe promenade... It's not what they do... Your complaining like you have tons of experience with these ships, and yet everything you are describing is 100% normal ?? So there is no excuse for bad food ( and everyone knows the sweets on RCCL are horrible) However, to claim to understand what the norm is and then complain about it when you get the norm? OMG

Truth - Don't be so harsh.

Maybe you sleep late and don't eat there, but EVERY Voyager class or higher Royal ship we've sailed offered breakfast at the cafe. It IS part of "what they do". It's not pancakes and omelets, but donuts, danish and rolls still meet the definition of a continental breakfast.

In the not so distant past when Explorer sailed out of Bayonne (sigh), my insomniac dw would sit at the cafe at 4-5 am each morning. She'd sip her coffee and watch the crew wash storefront windows, polish the floors, make coffee, and swap out the late night sandwiches for breakfast danish.

On Quantum last spring they tried to totally close the cafe for cleaning at 5am one day. There were over a hundred angry folks lined up outside. And this was in NJ, with most folks not adjusting to a new time zone. Totally sympathize with the early risers.

Heard the same announcements at the buffet on my last half dozen Royal and X cruises. Most folks understand why they have to make them, so no big deal.

The coke machines have been breaking down ever since they were first installed. Adding a few more machines per ship would help greatly.

Oh, by the way, we've sailed Explorer a dozen or so times. Does that meet your threshold for "a ton of experience" and permit us to voice an opinion?

We too were on the 4 night Explorer and the 7 night Alaska last week, have to agree the first day of the four night was awful in the windjammer, but we were told that the board of health and other government were on the ship for inspection since it was out of the States for almost a year, I think it would have helped passengers moods if a letter was sent to the cabin explaining the situation!!

As far as the Alaska week have no complains on food was find for us, my only thought was that a ship this size was not good for when everyone had to be indoors, lots and lots of crowds, no one outside or even in the adults only area. They held everything in the prom. area and was too crowded for us.

All in all it was a great week, but if we every cruise Alaska again it will not be on a ship of this size.

when you have lemons made lemonade

We were also on this same sailing and after 9 cruises, all RCCL, it was our least favorite by far. As is with a large ship, different people can have vastly different experiences. We found the staff to be the least friendly we've ever encountered. The food was the least impressive of all our trips. And the ship just felt...boring, especially on sea days. Yes, it was very cold on most days so the outdoor areas were pretty much unavailable. I guess I just expected there to be more going on indoors to compensate. We won't be cruising again for a while, and when we do, it's back to warm weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow...if announcements like that are totally normal I guess I've been living under a rock for the past 50 years...as have our fellow passengers. I vote with my money. Maybe Royal Caribbean just isn't the line for us. I'm not much on paying money to be treated like cattle on a feed lot.

And I don't think it's unreasonable to anticipate a pastry offering at 5 or 6 a.m. cruise ship time. Call me crazy, but how many over 20s eat subs during breakfast hours?

You are going to see this crowding on any cruise ship. If you want to see crowding see Island or Coral Princess on Alaska routes. The buffet is in the bow and people park there for the whole day. We just carry our plates out on deck. By the way, Princess has an International Cafe on all their ships that serves really great pastries even early in the morning...

We agree, the food was passable but underwhelming. WJ was okayj. MDR was decent the two nights we ate there. Izumi was very nice. Chops was very good but not up to par compared to Chops on Indy, and Giovanni's was the worst we've had (and we've eaten at Chops and Giovanni's on Indy about 10-12 times each just in the last six months).

When we were in WJ, I was able to find plenty of fresh fruit - the pineapple was some of the best we've had in a long time (I'm thinking maybe they stocked up while they were in Hawaii?!), and the cantaloupe and honey dew were actually nice and ripe. And the bananas were right where they should be - next to the ketchup LOLOL

The scenery was amazing, 99% of the staff were great, and we still had an awesome cruise!