What are formal nights like on Jewel?

mandiecandie5

Hi looking into a cruise on this ship, but weighing it against Caribbean Princess. After searching through some threads I'm still not clear about the dining room dress code situation and have lots of other questions. Sounds like its hardly enforced so what is formal night honestly like? Because we really look forward to this.

Do most dress up? Do men wear tuxes/dark suits? Do people stay dressed up after dinner or change to go to shows, etc. Are there formal photo areas set up? Is there a captains party before dinner with free drinks (where everyone on the ship is invited non of this vip stuff). :confused: :confused:

Hi looking into a cruise on this ship, but weighing it against Caribbean Princess. After searching through some threads I'm still not clear about the dining room dress code situation and have lots of other questions. Sounds like its hardly enforced so what is formal night honestly like? Because we really look forward to this.

Do most dress up? Do men wear tuxes/dark suits? Do people stay dressed up after dinner or change to go to shows, etc. Are there formal photo areas set up? Is there a captains party before dinner with free drinks (where everyone on the ship is invited non of this vip stuff). :confused: :confused:

Wow, so many questions: formal nights are optional but you will find at least 50% or more of the men in dark suits or Tuxes and the gals dressed to the nines. There will always be a few who choose to totally dress down. As for dress codes being enforced: read the other boards, this seems to be a concern on all lines lately. Some people, mostly the younger crowd can not see why they should have to dress according to the dress code. Many times I have seen people turned away for not following what has been suggested for the evening and just as often seen diners slip in unnoticed.

Yes, there are areas for formal night pictures and many will take advantage of this.

NMnita

I just got off the Norwegian Star. The dress code is basically resort casual. However, I would guess that about 50% of the people dressed up for the formal night.

Yes, there are places to have formal pictures taken, just like any other formal night on any other ship.

Yes, there is an open captain's party and you can have your picture taken with the captain.

Maybe it's the older age of the pax on this cruise, but about 80% dressed up on opt. formal nights. There were sev eral tuxes, the rest suits, a few blazers and very few "dressed down". Some of the women had evening gowns even and there are lots of sparkles and beads as well.

From the Caribbean cruises on, things might be more casual.

Have fun. The ship is phenomenal, the food fantastic and the staff is superb!

I have been on four NCL cruises and I have never seen more than 50% of the people dressing up, even on formal night. About 50% will be in resort casual (polo shirts, sun dresses, pants, etc.). The 50% or less that dresses up will range from those in tuxes to those in suits to those in just shirt and tie. This has been true in both specialty and main restaurants on the cruises that I have been on.

The dress code this past summer on the Star was ignored by many and the dining staffs did nothing to enforce it.

As far as pictures are concerned, my best suggestion is to plan to dress up another night for pictures instead of formal night. The line for pictures on formal night is very long, but short on other nights. We got dressed up about three days after formal night and had hardly any wait for our pictures. We have been on the Star twice (a ship similar to the Jewel) and they took formal pictures each night in the Grand Atrium. A very beautiful setting.

Archived