1st time solo cruiser for Epic from Barcelona July 31st

Hunterw0026

I have quite a few questions please. Bit nervous as a sigle woman traveling alone.

My flight lands in Barcelona from Atlanta to 8.25am. I want to just go to the ship. I see some say then can embark as early as 11.00am. Is this true?

When I get back I have a hotel for one night but can not check in until 1pm. I bought a hop on hop off bus pass but they do not start until 9am. Could I say on the boat that long?

I plan on having just a decent sized backpack but will have to have that on the bus until 1pm. Am I a target in Barcelona with it?

Is there any way to take fruit from the boat to have as snacks on excursions?

Thank you all so much!!!

Wendy

When going on excursion yes you can take fruit and snack, just don't let anyone see it. Technically you are not allowed to take anything unsealed, but everybody does it, trust me. I am also a solo cruiser, have done a lot of cruising on my own but never to Europe. You are brave. Enjoy!

Take zip lock bags from home and then what ever you want to take with you, bring in to your room and then you can put it in your zip lock bag.

I did the same cruise, solo, last June. It was wonderful and the weather and scenery were gorgeous. I agree with the other posters who said that is kind of expensive for Naples/Amalfi coast. I did a private tour with a couple of families I met on the roll call here, and we had a wonderful tour of Positano/Sorrento/Pompeii for around $120 each. The price didn't include lunch, but I picked up a slice of pizza on my own. And a few shots of limoncello....

Whatever you do, do NOT miss Positano. It is picturesque...just incredible to see.

Edited by Jules**

You've had great suggestions from the people on this board. I think you'll love Barcelona. Really an exciting city. I think your only disappointment will be that you only scheduled one day there. There's just too much to see.

If you want fruit to eat while you are walking there is a great market that you can buy all sorts at.

Careful. If it's the market I'm thinking of, you can end up spending half a day there. I was lucky we arrived at the market late in the day and they were packing up. Of course, half of my pictures of Europe are of food.

Just a quick couple of points from my recent trip on the Epic:

Re disembarking - as I've mentioned before on here, as the ship has 3 cities of embarkation (Barcelona, Rome, Marseille) I don't see how they can keep an eye on everyone when people are leaving at all different times. We joined/left at Marseille and whilst waiting for our taxi after we left, we saw people leisurely walking off right up to 11.00 to collect their suitcases and walk away. I know that's not the official thing to do but they did! So don't panic about rushing off. No-one chased us out (not to say they won't need you out of your cabin but they can't keep an eye on everyone on the ship).

Re food - having to eat gluten free meant I was finding it hard to get snacks at the various ports of call during the day so every now and again I found I could easily sneak a little GF muffin or orange or banana out of the buffet in a napkin or your handbag. If anyone challenges you just say it's for your cabin. Sometimes it is! I know it's not the done thing but come on, if you have a specific reason...

I paid $369 to NCL for a tour from Naples to Sorrento and Positino then lunch and tour through Pompeii. I fear I was taken!

I have posted the following into the 'roll call' for our cruise on Epic on 2nd October:-

NCL's own excursions seem overpriced. Best I have found independently is http://www.cruisingexcursions.com This website allows you to enter your ship/itinerary and then tells you all of the excursions that are available for every day of your trip.

They also do discounts for 'packages' - for example a package of Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Naples (Pompeii, Sorrento, Positano) and Marseille (Aix) - all three for £164

Rome tour - £64

We're considering Florence - just coach returns - £42 - and then use Hop on/Hop off bus (which is £18) and a good guidebook!

Just to ease your mind, we chose to do all NCL excursions on the Epic. DH is a bit of a worrier and it was best for the sanity of all. They are a little more expensive, however if you book before you go you pay in dollars, saving the euro exchange rate which is about ten percent. For us, two years ago, it was thirty percent. We enjoyed all of our excursions. We met many people, and found them to be well organized and just plain fun. Regardless of what you chose, relax, have fun! It was by far our favorite vacation. One more tip, when in Barcelona have the name of your hotel and its address written out on a small piece of paper. If you get lost you can simply hand this to a taxi driver, and voila, you're back. Our drivers appreciated the written address as my Spanish is limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app