Local craft Sujggestions

Jan_In_Maine

I am looking for ideas on local crafts to look for that will remind us of our visit. Anyone have any ideas. Also does anyone know shops and a price range on santos (I thought that might be a possibility).

Any and all ideas/suggestions would be welcome. Thanks, Jan

Quoted out of my Frommers Caribbean Ports of Call book.

If you are in port on Sunday - it states most stores will be closed.

El Alcazar: 103 Calle San Jose - antique furniture, silver and art objects. this store is several buildings (just my cup of tea ;) )

Ole: 105 Calle Fortaleza - antique santos, coins and silver - also the only place to get a fitted panama hat.

Puerto Rican Arts & Crafts: 204 Calle Fortaleza - authenic handicrafts including papier-mache carnival masks from the town of Ponce.

There are more listed but you need to pick up the book. Be sure and get 5th edition (latest printing)

I collect masks (mostly carved) but am looking forward to finding a santos to remember my trip by - we leave for San Juan 5 weeks from today !:D

I have the book (Per your suggestion) - I was just hoping that others might have more ideas - I'm really not looking to spend a lot of money - so am also hoping that someone would give me an idea on santos (not antiques)

Please Keep me in mind when you are in San Juan and let me know other ideas. Thanks, Jan

When are you going ???? I will post when I get back if I am going before you ??????? We will be spending 3 days (2 nights) precruise in old san juan at the Hotel El Convento right in the thick of all the shops - so plan to check them all out (IF POSSIBLE :)

ps Sorry, I keep telling everyone to get this book - but it has so much good stuff in it....

I LOVE the book - I am so glad that you mentioned it - I have been underlining - making notes, etc.

We will not be going for another year (I like to plan!) So anything you discover and would like to share would be wonderful!!

From "The Book" I've decided that we will do OSJ on our own - it does have a really good map for walking. Jan

I know....why pay someone $30.00 a piece to walk ? Also was told that the tourist board has good stuff ie: brochures etc. right near osj docks. We will stop by there too and pick up all the info. I will surely post on my shopping experiences. We plan to have one afternoon JUST TO SHOP.

Jan ~

Here is one other shop La Casa de las Casitas Handcrafts ~ they are located at 250 Cristo Street. I purchased a handmade hammock a few years ago. It was around $130.00 but they shipped it home for me so I didn't have to worry about lugging on the plane with you. I am stopping at this same shop before my cruise and having two of them shipped home.

texancruser - One whole afternoon of shopping sounds wonderful!

Thanks alb38 - I have a word document going that I cut and paste all sorts of useful information for these boards into - (that way I don't forget!) I'll add this shop information. Thanks again, Jan.

• 2 weeks later...

Jan

When we strolled around Old San Juan there were artisans selling handmade items. We picked up some beautiful hand painted tiles. I think this was in the $10 range. I was going to give it away, but decided to keep it for myself. I get to look at it every day in my kitchen.

Scott & Barb - Nice to hear from others from Maine - I keep running into all sorts of people - guess we all need to get away from the long winters. March would be a nice break from the weather - something to look forward to over the winter months - then returning and knowing that spring will be just around the corner sounds wonderful.

RNay - hand painted tiles sounds like a really good idea - thanks for the suggestion! I'll add it to my list.

More ideas would be wonderful. Jan

Jan

When we strolled around Old San Juan there were artisans selling handmade items. We picked up some beautiful hand painted tiles. I think this was in the $10 range. I was going to give it away, but decided to keep it for myself. I get to look at it every day in my kitchen.

We loved the local artisans. I collect Nativity sets and were able to find several in OSJ. There were lots of craft items and it is close to the pier.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived