cruise elegant nights

Thanks. We usually don't do short cruises and I like to be prepared. I was really hoping someone would say no.

You always have the option not to go to Formal Night. It isn't required.

Why do people always complain about these things? There are plenty of other options for dinner without the horror of dressing nice for one night. Get over it!

We personally love the Formal Nights and dressing up. Let the flaming begin! :cool:

Why do people always complain about these things? There are plenty of other options for dinner without the horror of dressing nice for one night. Get over it!

We personally love the Formal Nights and dressing up. Let the flaming begin! :cool:

Exactly. DW and I don't eat out often, (and when we do, it's nothing fancier than Texas Roadhouse) so we enjoy dressing up on the ship for Elegant Night. Personally, I think of it as a sign of respect for my wife, to be dressed well and not embarrass her by looking like a bum. YMMV...

"Elegant" night on Carnival is whatever you make it!

That's one reason we cruise on Carnival.

No jackets or ties are required for men, just slacks and a shirt with a collar so not really a big deal.

Women can wear a nice dress or slacks with a nice top.

No one will say anything to you if you are not dressed in something "elegant"!

You can choose not to go to the MDR that night too and just wear what you like and eat on the Lido. It is all an individual choice.

On my recent 5 night out of Jax, "Elegant" night was the 2nd night. You had some women in full gowns and men in suits. I personally didn't wear a jacket, but had on Khaki slacks, a long sleeved collared shirt and dress shoes and my wife had on a nice dress. I will go a step further and say i wish that Carnival would implement a dress code for the MDR. For elegant night, men should have to wear dress slacks at a minimum and collared shirts. Any other night, you should be in dress shorts and a collared shirt. i was a bit surprised how many people strutted in wearing bathing suits/cargo shorts, tank tops or t shirts and flip flops. I get you are on vacation, and if you want to wear that at dinner, go to the Lido deck and enjoy the dinner buffet. For a more formal setting in the MDR, i believe you should have to dress accordingly (I can feel the flames already :D)

Edited by First and Ten

On my recent 5 night out of Jax, "Elegant" night was the 2nd night. You had some women in full gowns and men in suits. I personally didn't wear a jacket, but had on Khaki slacks, a long sleeved collared shirt and dress shoes and my wife had on a nice dress. I will go a step further and say i wish that Carnival would implement a dress code for the MDR. For elegant night, men should have to wear dress slacks at a minimum and collared shirts. Any other night, you should be in dress shorts and a collared shirt. i was a bit surprised how many people strutted in wearing bathing suits/cargo shorts, tank tops or t shirts and flip flops. I get you are on vacation, and if you want to wear that at dinner, go to the Lido deck and enjoy the dinner buffet. For a more formal setting in the MDR, i believe you should have to dress accordingly (I can feel the flames already :D)

The problem is, Carnival likes to make rules, but hardly ever tries to enforce them, lest someone get offended. I will say that the Matre D

in the Crimson restaurant on our Dream cruise, did announce on the evening prior to the first Elegant Night, that he would not be allowing people in that were wearing shorts or t-shirts. Good on Devore for enforcing the rules in "his" restaurant.

The problem is, Carnival likes to make rules, but hardly ever tries to enforce them, lest someone get offended. I will say that the Matre D

in the Crimson restaurant on our Dream cruise, did announce on the evening prior to the first Elegant Night, that he would not be allowing people in that were wearing shorts or t-shirts. Good on Devore for enforcing the rules in "his" restaurant.

I like Devores style….i just wish people would use common sense and be aware of the surroundings….maybe i am expecting to much :rolleyes:

Edited by First and Ten

Carnival has relaxed formal attire. A collared shirt shies and khakis good enough.

Since they also eliminated the filet and lobster unless pay surcharge. Seems fair.

And with the high cost of checked baggage a gown and suit takes up way too much space

Personally I like Elegant nights. I even enjoyed it was Formal nights. I would carry my tux and DW a gown. This past trip I wore a suit and tie one night and the other night a tie with the same dress coat and dress khakis. It's two nights out of the entire cruise and you are told that from the beginning. If you don't want to dress up there are plenty of other dining options as a PP said.

Personally I like Elegant nights. I even enjoyed it was Formal nights. I would carry my tux and DW a gown. This past trip I wore a suit and tie one night and the other night a tie with the same dress coat and dress khakis. It's two nights out of the entire cruise and you are told that from the beginning. If you don't want to dress up there are plenty of other dining options as a PP said.

Agree....I get some people feel because they are on vacation and don't want to dress up. If you want to stay in your cargo shorts/swim suit and tank tops, I think you should. Just eat on the Lido deck at the buffet....win/win for everyone

Edited by First and Ten

I wasn't complaining, I just wanted to be prepared. I just didn't want to pack it and not use it. Relax, I dress nice for dinner every night.

"Elegant" night on Carnival is whatever you make it!

That's one reason we cruise on Carnival.

No jackets or ties are required for men, just slacks and a shirt with a collar so not really a big deal.

Women can wear a nice dress or slacks with a nice top.

No one will say anything to you if you are not dressed in something "elegant"!

You can choose not to go to the MDR that night too and just wear what you like and eat on the Lido. It is all an individual choice.

Thank you for your answer!

Thank you, I agree.

Edited by Put Me On A Boat
signature

I have to add something about my last cruise. I don't bring cruise elegant clothes so I always eat in the lido deck on that night, and most of other nights for that matter. But I wore an nba jersey on elegant night as I don't really pay attention to the dress code because I don't do the MDR much. Man did I feel out of place at the shows that night sitting next to people in gowns/suits in my jersey/cargo shorts. If I wasn't feeling a nice buzz from drinking I might have felt too self-conscience and changed.