Yukon Rail & Bus w/ Dogcart Experience

jackie101

anyone do this one? Did a search but could not find anything

You probably won't find that combination. The Road & Rail is probably a full day in Skagway. I would also post on the forum for your cruise line and roll call for your cruise .

I did this same tour through the cruise line (NCL), so I can't comment specifically on the tour company, but I can speak generally that this is a great excursion. It was my favorite experience of the whole trip. The bus portion was excellent, and the train ride was even better. We did the bus part first, then train back down to Skagway. On the bus we saw several mountain goats as well as four different bear sightings. We stopped at the Yukon sign, Carcoss, and Emerald Lake for a few minutes.

Lunch at Caribou Crossing was barbecue chicken and potato salad. Nothing amazing, but not bad. They also have some little homemade donuts for free.

We didn't participate in the dog sledding at Caribou Crossing, but did watch others ride. To be honest, it didn't look that interesting to me. You sit on a wooden platform and dogs pull you around on a gravel road. But, I'm not really a dog person, so others might find it more appealing. It also seemed like some construction was going on in this area, like they were building a couple of new structures for the dog sledding team.

I did this same tour through the cruise line (NCL), so I can't comment specifically on the tour company, but I can speak generally that this is a great excursion. It was my favorite experience of the whole trip. The bus portion was excellent, and the train ride was even better. We did the bus part first, then train back down to Skagway. On the bus we saw several mountain goats as well as four different bear sightings. We stopped at the Yukon sign, Carcoss, and Emerald Lake for a few minutes.

Lunch at Caribou Crossing was barbecue chicken and potato salad. Nothing amazing, but not bad. They also have some little homemade donuts for free.

We didn't participate in the dog sledding at Caribou Crossing, but did watch others ride. To be honest, it didn't look that interesting to me. You sit on a wooden platform and dogs pull you around on a gravel road. But, I'm not really a dog person, so others might find it more appealing. It also seemed like some construction was going on in this area, like they were building a couple of new structures for the dog sledding team.

awesome, thanks

I've done this tour with Chilkoot and enjoyed it. The advantage to doing it through Chilkoot (or other independent companies) is that they use much smaller buses than the cruise line tours. You can stop in places that the big buses cannot, and unloading/loading at each stop is much quicker with fewer people.

I too went on the Yukon tour with DCL. I too skipped the dog cart.... but it's more popular with the kids. Here's a short video on what to see what's at Cariboo Crossing.

[YOUTUBE]rvbqT7ox7UM[/YOUTUBE]

While other parts of Alaska are further North..... I loved this Yukon tour to see what life was like North of Skagway.

Edited by xlxo