Paris during a planned strike

desertmom

We are going to be in Paris on June 14, 2016. I just found out there will be a planned nationwide strike that day. We had planned on going to Versailles that day but now I am not sure about the transportation from Paris. Any ideas on what we can expect that day? We are also flying the next day to meet our cruise, is it likely there will be delays due to the strike the previous day?

We are going to be in Paris on June 14, 2016. I just found out there will be a planned nationwide strike that day. We had planned on going to Versailles that day but now I am not sure about the transportation from Paris. Any ideas on what we can expect that day? We are also flying the next day to meet our cruise, is it likely there will be delays due to the strike the previous day?

Oh no! I am sorry I have no answers for you. We are to land in Marseilles the day the air traffic controllers will strike.Train strike on our day to get to Paris for our flight home the next day.I feel a bit of panic coming on!

There are many news articles, including one dated 27 May 2016 indicating that so far there are only threats of a strike ahead of the June 2016 Euro 2016 Soccer/Football Cup in France - quite attention getting but then it's a very high stakes Labor vote happening in the French Senate this June. There have been various work stoppages throughout the country but more so, demonstrations, so that people, particularly the young can be heard...long term secure jobs for young adults in the EU are scarce it seems. Thus, not even sure if there will be a strike. If there is a partial or full stoppage the day before, likely to be only little or no delay the day after the stoppage.

I found a company called Versailles Express that offers coach tours departing from right near the Eiffel Tower - it would be a possible option in the event of a strike but do check the ratings though the reviews on their site seem positive. There are public buses (near Pont de Sevres) as well but if there's a stoppage, they might be affected too. Another option might be Uber although I don't know that Uber could return you from Versailles. Possibly too you could select a "Plan B" for Versailles - unless you are a repeat Paris visitor and have seen much of the city - there are countless riches within for you to see/do/eat/enjoy - the Louvre was a palace too!

I have been to Paris many times and have only ever been affected once by a strike - even that was a partial strike - but there was an effect however that day, it was one of those days when nearly everything went wrong! And still....I did OK. You will too. It's Paris :)

We are scheduled to fly to Paris this weekend.

Right now we are waiting to see what happens with the planned Air Traffic Controller strike planned for this weekend. June 3-5.

SCNF is on a rolling strike right now effecting 40% of the TGV trains.

Paris Metro is planning to go on strike tomorrow. From what I have read, most metro will should be fine, but only 1 out of 3 per hour for RER train B from CDG will be running.

Not the kind of news I want to read before flying to Europe.

I registered with STEP and I was emailed about a small riot in Paris over a week ago but nothing too serious. I am going there at end of June and not planning on changing anything other than trying to pay attention on what's going on around me

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just sharing a NY Times article I read the other day that might help shed a bit more light on what is happening (& why) in France so that people will understand. Knowing helps to better inform choices and decisions as well as curb gossip/rumours and mis-information. Of course, as ever - personal choice prevails but more awareness is never a bad thing.

There have NOT been any reports that these demonstrations have affected travelers. Bon voyage :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/28/world/europe/france-unions.html?_r=0

(in case you prefer another press outlet, here is the BBC)

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36279257