Breakfast suggestion needed

Hello,

We will be arriving late via Amtrak June 3rd for our Niewu Amsterdam cruise the next day. We are staying at the Empire Landmark Hotel. Looking for suggestions for a light breakfast. Needs to be within walking distance.

Urban Fare. It's about a 6 minute walk (600m) from your hotel on Alberni St. It's an upscale market, but it has an upstairs dining area. Good coffee and breakfast offerings. This place has the bonus of you being able to pick up any last-minute things for your cruise. I stayed at the Westin Bayshore my last cruise from Vancouver. Did my breakfast there, and then shopped for some take aboard munchies and a bouquet of flowers (gerberas and greens) to keep in my cabin (I have a blowup vase for travel).

Or, you can always do Tim Horton's - Canada's answer to Dunkin' Donuts. You can't swing a dead cat in Vancouver without hitting a Tim Horton's ;)

Edited by slidergirl

Forage, in the Listel a block down the street, offers quite Portlandian-style locavore sit-down breakfasts. Unfortunately we don't have a donuterie even close to Voodoo in quality, let alone Blue Star, so Timmies is your best bet for a really light coffee & pastry nibble near your hotel. I'd also happily second Cora's, especially if you like fruit with breakfast.

If you want to walk to go to the pier to drop luggage first then go for breakfast, Scoozis is excellent value and just a couple of blocks away. De Dutch just along from the pier at the west convention centre is just the job if you feel like a bigger brekky on the day.

• 2 weeks later...
Urban Fare. It's about a 6 minute walk (600m) from your hotel on Alberni St. It's an upscale market, but it has an upstairs dining area. Good coffee and breakfast offerings. This place has the bonus of you being able to pick up any last-minute things for your cruise. I stayed at the Westin Bayshore my last cruise from Vancouver. Did my breakfast there, and then shopped for some take aboard munchies and a bouquet of flowers (gerberas and greens) to keep in my cabin (I have a blowup vase for travel).

Or, you can always do Tim Horton's - Canada's answer to Dunkin' Donuts. You can't swing a dead cat in Vancouver without hitting a Tim Horton's ;)

hi, I was reading this thread and noticed you stayed at the Westin Bayshore, my Hubby and I leave in 2 weeks for a cruise and are staying 2 nights at the Bayshore. Is there a drug store to buy last minute toiletries and a grocery to buy our allowed 2 bottles of wine.

thanks in adavance!!

hi, I was reading this thread and noticed you stayed at the Westin Bayshore, my Hubby and I leave in 2 weeks for a cruise and are staying 2 nights at the Bayshore. Is there a drug store to buy last minute toiletries and a grocery to buy our allowed 2 bottles of wine.

thanks in adavance!!

I'm sorry but I can't help with those in a "done that" way. I cannot remember if Urban Fare had wine or not… A quick cruise with Google Maps finds Coal Harbor Liquor Store on Pender St. about a 6 minute walk away from the Westin. And, based on visiting various Whole Foods stores around the US, you might find some at the Whole Foods about a 5 minute walk up on Robson St.

According to Google Maps, there is also a Shoppers Drug Mart (kind of like a CVS/Walgreens) on Pender St. near that liquor store, maybe the same block and mini-mall...

Edited by slidergirl

thanks in adavance!!

No booze in grocery stores. In theory the rules changed to allow it to happen, but in practise the restrictions (distance to schools, distance to other liquor licensees) mean IIRC there are no stores anywhere in Vancouver that can actually meet the criteria without buying someone else's license out.

Nearest liquor store to the pier (should have less total walking than going to one near Bayshore and back to hotel, os this is the most efficient way to pick up your wine) is the BC Liquor in the Harbour Centre (enter from Cordova, across from Waterfront Station, only 4 blocks walk) but this one isn't open Sundays.

No booze in grocery stores. In theory the rules changed to allow it to happen, but in practise the restrictions (distance to schools, distance to other liquor licensees) mean IIRC there are no stores anywhere in Vancouver that can actually meet the criteria without buying someone else's license out.

Nearest liquor store to the pier (should have less total walking than going to one near Bayshore and back to hotel, os this is the most efficient way to pick up your wine) is the BC Liquor in the Harbour Centre (enter from Cordova, across from Waterfront Station, only 4 blocks walk) but this one isn't open Sundays.

thanks for the update. I live in a state where there is no booze in grocery stores, also. I am always so happy when I go somewhere and find wine and wine and wine in a grocery store. I couldn't remember if it was there in BC or not.

For a liquor store near the Westin Bayshore, is it still Coal Harbor???

thanks for the update. I live in a state where there is no booze in grocery stores, also. I am always so happy when I go somewhere and find wine and wine and wine in a grocery store. I couldn't remember if it was there in BC or not.

For a liquor store near the Westin Bayshore, is it still Coal Harbor???

The Coal Harbour private store is closest - but it's only 100 metres further to the provincial liquor store at Alberni & Bute, which is cheaper and has a better selection.

Hello,

We will be arriving late via Amtrak June 3rd for our Niewu Amsterdam cruise the next day. We are staying at the Empire Landmark Hotel. Looking for suggestions for a light breakfast. Needs to be within walking distance.

We stayed at the Empire Landmark Hotel as well (loved it!). Your trip is past it looks like, but for others' sake, there is a Whole Foods and a Safeway both just a couple of blocks away, and we stopped at both to pick up some items for breakfast. We wanted something quick and portable so we could enjoy it in the room, didn't really want to do a sit-down meal. These are always great options, especially if you want some fresh fruit.

Edited by tree.star