Are the glacier areas and rainy hours colder than the weather forcast?

budmeister

We are going next week. The forcasts, and recent temps, have been low 50s up to 70.We will be going to 2 glaciers- Mendenhall ,and I think Davis, as well as where the dog sledding/riding is. Do we need to be prepared for 40s in those locations? Also, I see a lot of people talking about cold and rainy. When it rains, does it generally get into the 40s if it was a 50-60 degree day?

In my experience from last week, the rainy/misty Alaska weather is colder than what was predicted. Walking on the Glacier was even colder. Regardless of the weather we had tons of fun.

Edited by Grog5

Thanks! Aside from deciding what to bring, I wondered how the glaciers could stay frozen in 50 degree weather.

They do melt. Rivers run a murky gray, with glacial silt. Even small glaciers are too large to melt away in a single season. Hubbard Glacier, for example is over 70 miles long, and where it meets the water, is nearly 7 miles wide, and 1200 feet high, with a full 400 feet above the waterline. Mendenhall is considerably smaller, but is still quite massive. You'll have a better appreciation for the scale once you see it in person. The day we were there, it was 20 colder in the park than in town, because of the air coming off the glacier.

It's a breathtaking site to behold. Hope you enjoy it.