Grand Cayman Dock Now?

JT1962

Has a dock been added in Grand Cayman? I just booked a cruise on Carnival Splendor for December and the confirmation email says Dock. It's been a few years since I was there, but I thought they were still a tender port. Belize does show Tender on the itinerary (copy from email shown below).

Itinerary

Departure Port Date Arrival Time Departure Time

MIAMI, FL DOCK 12-10-2016 04:00 PM

FUN DAY AT SEA FUN AT SEA 12-11-2016

COZUMEL, MEXICO DOCK 12-12-2016 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

BELIZE TENDER 12-13-2016 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

MAHOGANY BAY, ISLA ROATAN DOCK 12-14-2016 10:00 AM 06:00 PM

COSTA MAYA, MEXICO DOCK 12-15-2016 07:00 AM 03:00 PM

GRAND CAYMAN, CAYMAN ISLANDS DOCK 12-16-2016 10:00 AM 06:00 PM

FUN DAY AT SEA FUN AT SEA 12-17-2016

MIAMI, FL DOCK 12-18-2016 08:00 AM

Not to my knowledge! They've been talking about a dock for years, but it's a no-go....I assume they are referring to the tender dock.

Thanks. Probably just a misprint from Carnival. I did find some articles online that say the Gov't approved the building of a dock last October, but I could not find anything showing that construction had actually started. I could not imagine they would have it ready by December, but thought we might actually be some of the first to use it.

Not one shovel of dirt or bag of cement has been moved in furtherance of building a dock as of yet.

The initial proposal raised considerable concerns about the amount of damage to the marine environment that would result. Government is now evaluating other design options.

Not one shovel of dirt or bag of cement has been moved in furtherance of building a dock as of yet.

The initial proposal raised considerable concerns about the amount of damage to the marine environment that would result. Government is now evaluating other design options.

Thanks. I thought maybe Carnival was involved in the construction and might have some inside information.

I did a couple of searches online and saw one proposal was to build a dock off shore and have cable cars transport people to shore. It looked kind of cool, but I am not sure that would be any faster than tenders. I guess it could solve the issue of having to miss the port due to rough seas.

Edited by JT1962

• 2 weeks later...