Final thoughts and assessments -Mariner Alaska to Vancouver

We are spending our final full day at Victoria and tomorrow morning will disembark at Vancouver where we shall stay a couple of days on our dime. So here are my thoughts an experiences of the last week aimed at those considering Regent as well as to those awaiting your travel date. It will be old news for the seasoned Regent travelers.

First off, Alaska is spectacularly beautiful. If you are blessed to have the virtual 100% wonderful weather we experienced on this cruise, you simply cannot be unhappy with anything Alaska has to offer. Every tour the wife and I as well as our traveling partners partook in was great, well organized and fun. I will comment that the "jet boat" optional tour at Prince Rupert was not really worth the cost of $150@. But nonetheless, it was enjoyable and the venue site was beautiful and the tour staff were great folks.

The Mariner is a wonderful vessel, perfect size with 700 or so passengers. Nothing is overwhelming on this ship, it is easy to navigate once you get the lay of the land. There is nothing over the top opulent on board, it is all simply comfortable to simply elegant (depending what venues you visit), very nice, you will not be disappointed in the least. My favorite cocktail lounge is just outside the Compass Rose and Seven Steakhouse, it is very warm and quite comfortable. I'm not sure when the Mariner is scheduled for interior refurbishment, but it is probably about due. Regardless, I will gladly travel on this tub any day. I will be interested in seeing video and photographs of the new Regent vessel to be launched shortly. But to those awaiting your first Mariner cruise, I trust you will love it as much as the wife and I have.

Every staff member has been nothing less than outstanding. Besides satisfied customers like myself, staff are the greatest emissaries of any company and service organization. Our butler our stewards have been absolutely a delightful and most accommodating in every way. I told all three of them on day one that the wife and I are very low maintenance and there were only a couple of things we asked for each day. All of our requests were on-time and done perfectly. I know tipping is not expected, but I greased all three of them today exceptionally generously and simply thanked them for their hard work and attention to detail. I asked that they use the money to do something nice for themselves or to send home to their spouses for the same. That is how exceptional my service experience has been.

Food as mentioned has been very good, no complaints worth harping on, some meals better than others, but no bad meals. As I mentioned earlier, my only slight disappointment was the Seven Steakhouse, the beef simply was not to par with an actual Prime grade, and Prime beef I know well. In speaking with four other couples, they shared the opinion that the "Prime" beef, "wasn't all that." But it was good, don't get me wrong. Actually, the hands down best steak I had was last night at the Veranda Italian restaurant. They were serving Filet Mignon with shrimp and it was outstanding, I reordered the beef alone, it was that good and the first reorder I had done. We cancelled our reservations at Signatures, only because the French fare they offered just didn't float my boat, but to each their own. BTW, the Compass Rose provides a very elegant venue and menus for lunch, casual dress, very nice. Wished we had dined their more often for lunch, but we were on excursions. The CR dinners were all good to excellent, depending on their menu. The Veranda was always excellent. All of the restaurants offering of wines were outstanding, never a need to venture into the Premium wine list.

I had an opportunity to visit one of the standard room suits, very nice. If it works for you, it is the biggest bang for the buck. We had the Penthouse and we are very, very happy with the room, perfect in every way. So if it fits into your budget, or you are offered an upgrade, don't shy away from a Penthouse room. But you will not be disappointed in a standard room at all. Do your research because to some, size matters, to others, it is irrelevant, to each their own.

Shows were all pretty good. Last night was the "Crew Show," it was a riot and well choreographed. Yes, waiters can sing and dance. Laundromats were great and they even provide the soap along with ironing boards and television, now how cool is that? Fitness gym, excellent, we worked out just about every day. Bartenders are on their game, and don't miss out on high tea, well done.

Ok folks, that's about it for me. To all those before me who helped with my questions and guidance, thank you. This is for those who follow me. I will answer any questions to help. BTW, all the passengers I interacted with were fun loving, down to earth and wonderful people, not one snob encountered.

LLL also enjoyed all your updates and posts. Very pleased to hear you enjoyed yourselves and had a great cruise. A well written honest account of your cruise which is very welcome here. Thanks, Jean. PS we have also found some of our best meals are in Sette Marie in the evening.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent review, LLL. I enjoyed reading it, and am pleased that you and yours so thoroughly enjoyed Alaska and your experience on Mariner. My impressions were somewhat different from yours, but our great pleasure in the trip was no less. How fortunate we all are!

Many happy future sailings to you.

Edited by poss