Private Transfer Service

fsa1155

Hello,

We are thinking about taking a cruise out of New York's Manhattan Cruise Terminal but are flying into Newark NJ airport the day before. Has anyone had any experience with private transfers from Newark to the cruise terminal? I found one limo service called "American Empire Limo" Has anyone used them?

Any information would be great. We have never been to New York or New Jersey in the past.

Thanks,

Karen :)

Are you staying in Newark? Newark is not a nice city and if you want to try to see any part of New York, then it may be best to get to the city straight from the airport. Depending on time of year, staying in Hells Kitchen/Theater District is really expensive. However the good news is that the manhattan cruise port is walking distance to Times Square so getting there from a hotel is easy.

I agree a private car is best if you have 5 people. Taking NJ transit to Penn Station would be expensive with five people.

Are you staying in Newark? Newark is not a nice city and if you want to try to see any part of New York, then it may be best to get to the city straight from the airport. Depending on time of year, staying in Hells Kitchen/Theater District is really expensive. However the good news is that the manhattan cruise port is walking distance to Times Square so getting there from a hotel is easy.

I agree a private car is best if you have 5 people. Taking NJ transit to Penn Station would be expensive with five people.

Might be hard finding a hotel room in the city for 5.

We were thinking about the New England/Canada cruise in the fall of next year. Our party of 5 is actually 2 families. ( 3 and 2 ) so we can get two hotel rooms. I was thinking about staying at the Newark International Marriott which is right at the Newark airport and then having the transport company pick us up the next morning and take us to the port.

Do you think we would be okay staying there? I don't want to be in a dangerous location. I figured it would be better than staying in NYC. I'm from a small town in the mid west and big cities scare me. ha ha I did look at the Carmel Limo Service and they had reasonable prices.

Thanks for the help,

You are fine staying at the Newark Airport Marriott. It is walking distance to the airport terminals across a parking lot (although I don't think there are any sidewalks connecting the hotel). Don't worry about safety there. The airport hotels for the most part are fine as long as you are staying at a decent one. Just don't go stay at a cheap motel in the city of Newark. Also don't hang out in parking lots or try to wander around the neighborhood searching for a restaurant.

If you want to see Times Square and walk around New York city, the Manhattan pier that Norwegian uses is easy walking distance. Times Square is 5-10 blocks from the pier. If you want to experience the city, there are dozens of hotels in and near times square/theater district that your families can stay at. If you watch out for pickpockets and leave your valuables in your hotel room you are perfectly safe walking around that part of New York at almost any time of the day. That area is really a crossroads of the world and filled with people around the clock (most of the people are tourists since New Yorkers avoid Times Square if at all possible since it is jam packed). It might be outside your comfort zone, but if you have never been to New York, I encourage you to consider being a bit adventurous and not just simply stay at the airport. The Manhattan pier is in one of the nicest parts of Manhattan (much better location than Brooklyn pier for Carnival/Cunard or Bayonne for RCCL). Hells Kitchen, Theater District and Upper West Side are all safe and about as clean as New York gets. I highly encourage you to get a private car from Newark airport and stay in that area if it is in your budget. You can spend a couple hours walking to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, and Central Park in the morning before getting on your cruise.

We were thinking about the New England/Canada cruise in the fall of next year. Our party of 5 is actually 2 families. ( 3 and 2 ) so we can get two hotel rooms. I was thinking about staying at the Newark International Marriott which is right at the Newark airport and then having the transport company pick us up the next morning and take us to the port.

Do you think we would be okay staying there? I don't want to be in a dangerous location. I figured it would be better than staying in NYC. I'm from a small town in the mid west and big cities scare me. ha ha I did look at the Carmel Limo Service and they had reasonable prices.

Thanks for the help,

Don't be afraid. To spend the afternoon and evening in an airport hotel (any hotel but especially Newark) when you can just as easily spend some time in NYC is just ridiculous. Book a car service, probably a van is best for 5 people and all their luggage, check into your hotel and then take a look at NYC.

First night, go to the observation deck of the Empire State Bldg. Next morning, get up early and take the subway (yes the subway - most efficient way to travel in NYC) to the 911 memorial site. (a must). From there, at least walk over to Battery Park to see the Statue of Liberty. Take the subway back up to your hotel where you have stored your luggage and then take a cab over to your ship. Its not that expensive and personally it drives me crazy to see people "schlepping" their luggage all over the streets.

There are several less expensive chain hotels in the West 30's. Choose one of those. Be prepared for some sticker shock, but after all its NYC. At least its not London prices.

Have a great time!

Thanks for the help,

I like the suggestions that folks are making about going out of your comfort zone and staying in Manhattan, but if that doesn't suit, I would be looking at the hotels on International Blvd ( formerly Glimcher Realty Way) - Courtyard Elizabeth, Embassy Suites, Country Inns, or Residence Inn. This is the only area at the airport that offers non-hotel dining (Ruby Tuesdays, IHOP, Applebee's, Johnny Rockets, food court) and the Jersey Gardens Mall.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will definitely try to step out of my comfort zone. I truly enjoy researching a trip so I will definitely look into all these ideas. Hopefully, this small town girl can go and enjoy a big city.

Thanks again,