Group booking

cbradley1209

I booked B2B for next year. I used a TA. I called into Azamara today for some help and the rep said "Oh, that's a group reservation" and I had to be transferred.

At the time of my booking, the TA didn't say anything about a group booking. Is this SOP? Does being part of a "group booking" affect my reservation in any way? Can I still apply for upgrades, etc?

Thanks-chris

I booked B2B for next year. I used a TA. I called into Azamara today for some help and the rep said "Oh, that's a group reservation" and I had to be transferred.

At the time of my booking, the TA didn't say anything about a group booking. Is this SOP? Does being part of a "group booking" affect my reservation in any way? Can I still apply for upgrades, etc?

I don't know that it's SOP, but it does seem to be common. I've booked two Az cruises B2B for next year. My TA (works for a large brand with national EXposure) sold me a fare that was part of a group booking. As I understand it, the large travel company had negotiated a group rate with Az on those two itineraries; the group rates quoted by my TA were less that what was published on the Az website. However, cabin selection was limited.

As far as I know, the fact that it's a group booking does not affect the reservation in any way. I was able to obtain the B2B booking bonus. I don't know if it will affect upgrades. Az might well de-prioritize upgrade applications since they make less margin on the group rates.

Edited by screen-gem

I received an upgrade from balcony to suite. My travel agent had group space on the cruise, so I got a great price.

Upgrades have more to do with your level in the LCV program and when you booked. I'm guessing that it also doesn't hurt to be a frequent Azamara cruiser.;)

Thanks-chris

Hi Chris,

Large travel companies with multiple offices often request a block of space (= a number of unspecified staterooms & suites) on select voyages each year..sometimes on every voyage. The TA's affiliated offices then sell into this block of space, or release space it they haven't sold it by certain milestones. From the customer view it is a normal reservation, not a group booking, and our Customer Service agent should not have alarmed you. All benefits apply.

Screen-gem wondered if we de-prioritize bookings from large agencies...absolutely not! Guests are all equally important in our eyes. We love all of you.