Alaska cruise/Tracy Arm/Small boat excursion

limoncello07

We are booked to do this on the Ruby Princess at the end of July; I'm wondering if someone who has previously booked this catamaran excursion through Princess could provide some details on logistics, particularly regarding disembarkation in Juneau. (Other tips welcome too!)

As I understand it, we will board the catamaran at Tracy Arm directly from the Ruby at approximately 7:30 am, and are scheduled to arrive in Juneau at approximately 1:30 pm. I know the excursion boat can run late, but once it does arrive in Juneau, I'm trying to get a better handle on how the disembarkation process works, and how long we can expect it to take. Certain language in the description suggests that we will disembark from catamaran back onto the Ruby Princess in order to get into port (which sounds like a long process). Other language and online reports suggest that passengers disembark directly from the catamaran without a need to return to the ship.

I'm seeking this information to try to establish a realistic sense of how much remaining time we are likely to have in Juneau for sightseeing before our “all aboard.” Many thanks in advance for your assistance!

We've done this twice, on the Grand (2014) and Ruby (2015). I had a conversation with the crew last time, and learned some valuable insights regarding the excursion. Yes, you will need to reboard the cruise ship before going anywhere else, and this can take 20-30 minutes for the whole gaggle of people, as you'll need to pass through a ship security scan as though you were returning from a day in port. Once every passenger is aboard, the excursion's crew must bag up ALL garbage and toss it aboard the cruise ship for incineration by the ship. I presume much or all of this is due to the fact that the cruise ship, being non-US-flagged, cannot allow passengers to receive transit between US cities, and perhaps the same goes for their trash.

Here's the biggest key to look out for: you'll gather in the Princess Theater too early (and play a game of hurry-up-and-wait). When we did it from the Grand in 2014, there was one boat, so logistics were easy. From the Ruby in 2015, there were two boats, and here's the rub: both boats board at the same time (forward and midship tender platform), BUT only one boat can return to the ship at a time, as they only have enough security scanners to bring one boat's pax onboard while also having capacity to get passengers back onto the ship from Juneau. If there are two boats, you'll get directed to a particular boat if you have a Juneau excursion that starts between X and Y time (doesn't matter if it's ship-sponsored or independent; they don't care), as that boat will be the first to reboard the ship through that one tender platform. My advice? Take whatever start time you have for your Juneau excursion, subtract 30 minutes from it, and LIE. If that "fake" start time falls between X and Y, they'll put you on that boat, and you'll be back aboard earlier than if you were on the other boat.

Based on my notes, our 2014 excursion was scheduled for 0830-1400, and we got back to the ship right about on time. My wife was one of the first off, and managed to get up to the cabin before the boat pulled away. I was one of the last off the boat, and got up to our cabin around 2:25. We had a 3:15-8:15 whale watch/photo safari, and had time to change clothes (taking off the cold clothes and putting on fresh clothes was such a refreshing thing!), head to the buffet with all of our photo gear for a late lunch, and get off the ship for our 3:15 meet time.

Our 2015 excursion was scheduled 0730-1300 (according to the cruise personalizer). I took better notes this time around, and our report time to the theater was 0645 (yuck!). Entering the theater, they asked if anyone had an excursion between 1:00 and 1:30; those people were sent to boat 1. (Our excursion was published as 1:45-6:45, but our tickets said to be on the dock at 1:35. Since 1:35 was after 1:30, we didn't lie, and got assigned to the second boat. Bad, very bad...) Somehow between there and Juneau, the excursion got stretched to a 1:30 finish time. The first boat got to the Ruby at about 1:30, and we got to the Ruby at about 1:50. We dashed across, exited, and found that our tour bus had already left, but we knew how to play the game and the bus happily returned for us.

Three more suggestions for you:

The free snacks are very minimal. There is a cash/charge bar/galley, but if you want a full selection, order/eat early, otherwise they could end up with a very limited choice.

Regardless of how many boats there are, if you're smooth with people, I'd encourage you to coax everyone to "line up like school children", based on the ACTUAL TIME they need to be in Juneau. We dashed up towards the door as soon as they suggested folks line up if they had tight times, but some folks in front of us had over an hour to burn whereas we were late. I should have helped to arrange the line, but felt it'd be awkward given how much camera gear I was carrying.

When you get on board, learn the hours of the shore excursions desk, and hunt down the manager. Tell her/him that you're on this tour, and you've heard the reports of how long the wait is in the Princess Theater (yes, we really did wait for about 35 minutes). Be explicit with this request: "Please arrange to have the bridge cam video feed patched into the video projector(s) in the Princess Theater while we're waiting." When we were on the Grand, there was nothing on the screens (boring, but it could be worse). When we were on the Ruby, it was a three-minute Princess promotional video ON REPEAT. Gee, let us count how long we're sitting here based on your silly video.

Don't let that get you down - it's a fantastic tour and one of the best we've ever done in Alaska.

Great job explaining the debark/embark process, Peety3! My husband and I did this exact excursion in 2014 and I'd forgotten all about gathering in the theatre, etc. I guess that's just testament to the fact that we had such an incredible, breathtaking day, I forgot the few pain in the butt parts ;) To the OP, I hope you have just as incredible an experience as we did! We saw so much wildlife, including a humpback and calf in the fjord (our guide was quite surprised) and hundreds of seals...it stands out as one of my favourite memories in all our trips (we just finished #3!) to Alaska. Enjoy!

We took this excursion in 2014 and our estimated arrival time back in Juneau was 12:30, and we pretty much made it back on time. And this was considering the fact that the excursion boat crew saw a bear on shore on the way back to Juneau and was able to get very close to it for pictures.

Not related to your question, but here is what we were able to see in Tracy Arm. First is a picture of North Sayer Glacier, and then a wide angle picture of South Sayer Clacier.

AlaskaJune2013041_zps5574943a.jpg

AlaskaJune2013062_zpsbb2a1f2e.jpg

Wow, thanks for all of the replies, including the beautiful photos. peety3 I really appreciate your time in reviewing and summarizing your notes. The information is very helpful not only for thinking about our afternoon in Juneau, but for managing the expectations of the two teenagers with whom I'm sailing -- forewarned is forearmed in those circumstances! Ginnyfyr and Near PDX, it's great to hear/see how much you enjoyed the excursion as well.

With respect to the issue of multiple boats, interestingly my cruise has 2 separate departure times for purchase, one at 7:30 and one at 7:35. I originally assumed this was a meaningless distinction; however, the travel agent pointed out that the 7:30 departure is actually priced $10 more per person than the 7:35 departure. On the hope that means the 7:30 departure will get priority for disembarkation, I bit the bullet and paid the extra $10. We'll see if that proves to be a wise investment -- I'll try to remember to report back on that point. While I'm planning to allow some breathing room between excursions, I still want to make to most of every minute in port!

For Red Rock, I'm a first-time cruiser and don't know the answer to your question about the Grand, maybe someone else does.

Thanks again to all!

Does the Grand Princess offer this excursion for the July 10, 2016 cruise?

It should. Check the excursions in your personalizer. It will be listed, if offered. Checking your personalizer is a must. A lot of information can be found there. If you haven't booked yet, check the excursions on the Princess website. Again, lots of great information there.

You could also go to the roll call for the cruise. Research is truly a great thing.

Thanks everyone, sounds like a great excursion, I didn't see it in my cruise personalizer for the Grand.

We have made all of our off ship excursions through princess.

We are just going to walk around and shop in Ketcikan.

Maybe do the lumber jack show.

Thanks everyone, sounds like a great excursion, I didn't see it in my cruise personalizer for the Grand.

We have made all of our off ship excursions through princess.

We are just going to walk around and shop in Ketcikan.

Maybe do the lumber jack show.

Did you check excursions for Tracy Arm? It won't be listed under Juneau, but Tracy Arm. Ketchikan is great!

We have done this excursion twice. 2013 & 2014. 2013 was a nice sunny day. 2014 was cloudy, raining & cold. So bring layers. The best view was the 2014. The blue's of the glacier was awesome. We plan to do again in 2016

Did you check excursions for Tracy Arm? It won't be listed under Juneau, but Tracy Arm. Ketchikan is great!

I looked at your Alaska pics on shutterfly; very nice