When does the Captain board?

eddiesgal

He is pretty much there 24 by 7.

Part of the job description.

He also carries the key to start the enguines.

And the one that opens the liquor cabinet. :D

So if I befriend the captain I maybe could borrow the key, that is the one to the liquor cabinet LOL :D

Is there perhaps a person that gets on the ship via pilot boat right after the ship begins to sail that carries the ships records or important documents?

These are interesting questions, and if you don't mind me asking, why are you asking?

I don't mind you asking at all.......when I was on the Grand last year, we saw a pilot boat pull up and an officer jump off with documents.....the couple I was sitting with told me that it was the ships records that never leave until the ship has set sail.....I was just curious if anyone else is familiar with this..... pure curiosity is the reason for the post:)

From what I understand, and I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me, is that the Pilot is someone familar with the navigating the waters of the harbor or waters where the port is. Also I belive that in some countries and ports a Customs Official who boards with the Pilot and starts the Imigration and Customs procedure before the ship gets to Port.

Is there perhaps a person that gets on the ship via pilot boat right after the ship begins to sail that carries the ships records or important documents?

eddiesgal, it's not a ship's officer you see jumping to and from the pilot boat, it's actually a pilot navigator who assists the captain in navigating the ship through local waters. It's the law in many ports for a local pilot to navigate the ship to the local dock and then back out again to open waters. What you probably saw him carrying is navigational charts to assist everyone on the bridge. What often happens is ship lanes can change from week to week because of changes in tides or if there's a big storm, sand bars could be in the path the ship normally takes. That's why a local pilot has to come on board when arriving or departing a port.

Archived