First Time to Alaska

LilDesertGirl

I want to book a surprise cruise for my husbands 40th. I'm think of July 2018. Any recommendations? Which ports are best? Which excursions? A loop or point to point? We have never been north of Oregon, so any and all recommendations are welcome. Our parents and our daughter will be joining us. She will be almost 5 when we do this cruise. When will summer 2018 be posted?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I want to book a surprise cruise for my husbands 40th. I'm think of July 2018. Any recommendations? Which ports are best? Which excursions? A loop or point to point? We have never been north of Oregon, so any and all recommendations are welcome. Our parents and our daughter will be joining us. She will be almost 5 when we do this cruise. When will summer 2018 be posted?

Summer 2018 will be posted about this time in 2017.

First all the cruises to Alaska do the same three ports. These are Ketchican , Juneau and Skagway . Some cruises (Holland America) stop in Haines instead of Skagway . Some stop in Sitka or Icy Point .

All will visit at least one glacier .

Departure ports are San Francisco , Seattle , Anchorage (Whittier or Seward) and Vancouver BC.

Look at 2017 cruises to see what is offered . Many will be the same except for different ships.

I would talk to a travel agent about options for Alaska.

As mentioned, almost all Alaska cruises will stop in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway.

However, you will want to decide how important it is for you to have a day in Glacier Bay. Not all lines have permits to enter the bay. I believe Holland America, Princess, and Norwegian have permits. Maybe Royal Caribbean does as well? I'm not as sure about that one. I know that Disney does not.

Trips that don't include Glacier Bay often go to Tracy Arm Fjord instead. People have their different preferences, but from my research and my own personal experience, Glacier Bay is the most recommended. Read up on both of these locations and find out which you want to do. If Glacier Bay is important to you, that will narrow down your cruise line and itinerary options.

One way cruises are a possibility, but round trip makes airfare a little easier and cheaper. Round trips are out of either Seattle or Vancouver. Leaving from Vancouver you will have a more scenic trip on your first sea day, as they travel on the east side of Vancouver Island. Trips leaving from Seattle will travel on the west side of of the island, so it will mostly be open ocean. Also consider whether you want to spend any time in either Seattle or Vancouver before/after the trip. I will throw in my recommendation for time spent in Vancouver - it's one of my favorite cities after visiting last month!

Also keep in mind that roundtrips are typically 7 days. If you want to go longer than that, a one way trip would be needed.

Once you have narrowed down based on these factors, look at individual itineraries from the different cruise lines and compare the other ports they will stop in. I really enjoyed stopping in Sitka and Icy Strait Point, and would highly recommend them, but most itineraries don't stop there. Also compare time spent in port. For example, many ships stop in Victoria for just the evening, arriving around 6 pm. I wanted more time there, so I went with an itinerary that had us getting into Victoria at noon.

And finally, if you have a preference for a specific cruise line, then seriously consider that. It's funny, for other types of cruises I would be looking at cruise line as a top factor for my decision, but for an Alaska cruise it's just the opposite. The cruise is all about the itinerary and ports, and the cruise line itself does not have a huge impact to me. No matter what line you choose, you will enjoy Alaska.

Edited by tree.star

If you opt for a one way trip, I recommend going northbound from Vancouver. The views get more spectacular as you head north. If you can afford the balcony, do it. Buy a good set of binoculars for the trip. You get to see a fair amount of the shoreline. Book early for best selection.

We will be going on our first cruise to Alaska in 2017. If you are not a regular cruiser, I would suggest getting a book like Frommer's Alaska Cruises and ports of call to sort things out. There is a ton of information to sort through, and this book does a good idea of explaining the different types of cruises (round trip vs one way). It also breaks down the cruise lines and gives a better idea of what to expect with each. For the initial decision of which cruise to take, I found it more helpful than these boards. However, I found the boards EXTREMELY helpful (and still do) for some of the more detailed decisions I've been making since booking like which excursions to take.

I definitely would not wait until this time of year in 2017 to book for 2018. Fares for many cruise lines for 2017 Alaska came out in December 2015. Once you pick a cruise line, you can check with them when they think fares will be released, check the cruise line boards here on CC (I know the Princess board does a great job of keeping up with release dates and fares ...in fact, there is a new itinerary from Los Angeles to Alaska round trip for April 2018 that was already released), or just regularly check the cruise line's website.

I hope you are able to wade through the massive info and find just the right plan for your family!:)

Options to consider..... one way or round trip ? ( do you have time for any land travel in Alaska pre or post cruise)

Vancouver or Seattle? Vancouver sailings are more scenic in that they travel between Vancouver Island and the BC mainland, whereas Seattle ships travel on the west side of Vanc Island which is basically open seas.

There are books specific to Alaska cruises .... Fodor has Alaska ports of call, and Ann Vipond has Alaska by Cruiseship. Maybe your library has them? Both books discuss cruiselines, itineraries, ports, excursions, DIY etc.

There is also a wealth of info in past trip reports posted in STICKYs near the top of the page. Many are photojournals with info on sights, activites, vendors, lodging, etc

Have fun with your research and planning!