Caribbean Cruise Vaccinations Question

Ajw123

Hi everyone. My daughter and her dad are joining the MSC Divina for a 14 night Caribbean cruise from 9th July. We only booked it yesterday so are short on time to get everything prepared but I am struggling to get info on vaccinations. Can anyone here please assist? Even the Internet is a bit vague and the doctor needs a gazillion forms filled in prior to a consultation with the nurse etc, etc!

They start at Miami and visit Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Mexico, Bahamas, St Maarten, Puerto Rico (overnight) then back to Miami.

Many thanks. Arlene

Hi everyone. My daughter and her dad are joining the MSC Divina for a 14 night Caribbean cruise from 9th July. We only booked it yesterday so are short on time to get everything prepared but I am struggling to get info on vaccinations. Can anyone here please assist? Even the Internet is a bit vague and the doctor needs a gazillion forms filled in prior to a consultation with the nurse etc, etc!

They start at Miami and visit Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Mexico, Bahamas, St Maarten, Puerto Rico (overnight) then back to Miami.

Many thanks. Arlene

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-03%20at%2011.02.26%20AM_zpslwjbqa72.png

You may want to check with your Government Health Organization regarding any vaccinations you may need while visiting those particular islands. Though you are traveling from Scotland,,I am posting the United States CDC Health link so you can at least see what and if there are any health risks for the areas you are traveling to. Please keep in mind,,,the Zika virus does exist in the Caribbean so if you or anyone in your party is pregnant,,you may want to re-consider traveling to this area,,,:)http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel

Edited by Mikesa1721

Many thanks. Arlene

You don't need any. It's a Caribbean not Africa .

Hi

I'm am from the uk and have travelled numerous times to various Caribbean islands. Some trips have been cruises and some land based I have always consulted my GP before and have been inoculated against diphtheria, polio, typhoid, tetanus and hepatitis A. It's worth a telephone call to your doctors surgery because if you need them and don't have them you will not be covered by your travel insurance if you were to catch, however small the risk, one of the diseases.

Hi

I'm am from the uk and have travelled numerous times to various Caribbean islands. Some trips have been cruises and some land based I have always consulted my GP before and have been inoculated against diphtheria, polio, typhoid, tetanus and hepatitis A. It's worth a telephone call to your doctors surgery because if you need them and don't have them you will not be covered by your travel insurance if you were to catch, however small the risk, one of the diseases.

I'm curious; aren't these vaccinations standard in the UK for everyone?

Except for the typhoid, the rest are standard immunizations in the USA that are given in childhood and booster shots throughout adulthood (the hepatitis series wasn't introduced until somewhere around 2000 for the children so some of us adults have played catch-up based on our treavel needs).

We had the injections before travelling from the UK last month. The ones we had were all free, I can't remember all of them but we each had 4. Also worth buying some deet spray (a strong one)for when off the boat

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm curious; aren't these vaccinations standard in the UK for everyone?

Except for the typhoid, the rest are standard immunizations in the USA that are given in childhood and booster shots throughout adulthood (the hepatitis series wasn't introduced until somewhere around 2000 for the children so some of us adults have played catch-up based on our treavel needs).

In childhood the tetanus, polio, diphtheria are standard immunisations, but not offered as standard in adulthood. These are however free if needed if you are traveling to areas where the disease exist.

Thanks everyone who replied. We don't get the same vaccines as routine as US citizens seem to get. Most websites do recommend certain vaccines such as Hep A and Typhoid but I will just wait and see what the nurse says I guess. Cheers folks.