Questions about freestyle dining.

shoafmom

We've cruised on other "non-freestyle" mass lines with fixed dining before NCL and those are fine - and, we've done a few since then (RCI & CCL) and they've discovered / added in their own variants of "freestyle" dining, terms like "MyTime Dining" or "AnyTime Dining" ... and, some liked it while others preferred the "other" ways, nothing being the "right" way to dine on a cruise ship. Then, what about those that rather eat in the buffet or call/use room service - far from anti-social, IMHO.

On one of our RCI sailing's lunch, we walked into the MDR that was open with our party of 5 people and were asked by the host to share/joint a table ... a single ? mom eating with her 2 small children (perhaps dad was busy) - fine, guess how much of a conversation she was interested in having with us with her little ones ... nothing beyond a cordial smile & hello. They could've have given us a small round table that seat 5 to 6 and gave them a table of 4. On a different CCL cruise, we had a group of 9 among us and thankfully, the hostess didn't seat a solo/single traveler with us for lunch, as our table capacity was for 10 ... with one empty chair. Yes, for dinner - we sticked with fixed dining option, late & "our" own table of 9 each night ... nobody asked to join us or asked to sit with us.

Is there formal nights in the main dining room with that freestyle dining on NCL ?

One of the MDRs is more "formal" than the other (no shorts) but there is never a "formal" night as experienced on other lines. Some people appear more "formal" than others every night. There is one night usually when lots of people dress a little more "formally", usually on the night the Captain makes himself available for photos.

I've gone on only two NCL cruises, and I cruised solo on both of them. The only time I was ever asked if I wanted to share was a couple of visit to O'Sheehan's. Never in an MDR.

As others have said, I find nothing anti-social about NCL. I've met great people on both my NCL cruises with whom I'm still in touch. I just didn't meet them in the dining room. :D

"Dining with different people every time you go to the MDR is, for us, torture. We meet people & have made some great friends, but when we sit down to a meal............ we'll choose who we're dining with & you can bet it won't be someonewe we've never met![/color]

"

Exactly! I never understood why we paid many$$ to sit with strangers. I am going on vacation to be with my family.

Others like to eat with table mates -more power to you! Several times on RCL we were out at huge tables with our three then-toddlers and several couples.

Who wants to eat with someone else's small kiddos? We have also been at a table where the husband and wife from another couple were fighting- that's not uncomfortable- and with several overly -sauced cruisers.

We now choose the"My Time " dining on RCL .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by DrNora