Hamburg to Berlin?

We will be spending a few pre-cruise days in Hamburg and are wondering if it's worth going to Berlin for a day. Train seems pretty expensive. Bus would be cheaper but takes longer. Suggestions? Or should we just spend the time in Hamburg and save Berlin for another time?

We will be spending a few pre-cruise days in Hamburg and are wondering if it's worth going to Berlin for a day. Train seems pretty expensive. Bus would be cheaper but takes longer. Suggestions? Or should we just spend the time in Hamburg and save Berlin for another time?

Never been in Berlin but i love Hamburg.

Some words to the DB Bahn. They sell cheap tickets, you can find them with the saver fare finder

https://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/index.shtml

they sell cheap tickets beginning three month in advance on internet. and if you have no luck they are sold out or you get only some bad times with cheap prices. i´m not sure if you can buy the from other countrys, maybe with credit card.

For example two person at juni 8. for 90 EURO both ways.can´t copy the link, doesn´t work, sorry.

p.s. visit the miniatur wunderland in hamburg, you can do ticket reservation on their homepage. And you can see the queen marry II at the blohm&voss dock.

Edited by Steff79

I used to live in Berlin and I actually can't imagine going there for fewer than 3 days. (That's why, even though we love Berlin, we chose not to do a day trip there last year on our Baltic cruise.)

I think your time would be better spent in Hamburg (or nearby) especially since it sounds as if you'll be returning to Germany and can devote more time to Berlin then.

(FWIW, instead of spending a day in Hamburg, you might enjoy Luebeck, which is a quick, easy and not-so-expensive trip on the train. We visited Luebeck last summer and found it fabulous! It's just the right size (and distance) for a day trip.)

There is so much to see and experience in beautiful and maritime Hamburg, 3 days is a minimum, and if you have sunny days, you will be lucky one's ...

Train to Berlin does not only mean spending a half a valuable day in trains, additionally, I find train service in Germany not very reliable ...