Crusin for a bruisin'

IndyDenise

sounds like you need to cut those people out of your life. If they respond to happy vacation news with negative remarks for no real reason except probably jealousy, I can't even imagine how they respond to something more important. cut 'em loose and move on with the happy people in your life!

I personally find it amazing, not in a bad way, that anyone can take 10 cruises ..... 20, 30 cruises on one cruise line and no others....

We like variety (see signature below), but I understand being loyal to a particular cruise line. All the perks we get for being Diamond Plus on RCI make it pretty compelling to sail on them all the time....but we don't. Last two cruises were on Carnival, the one before was on NCL. The next one is on RCI...the one after that is on Avalon (river cruise).

However, what I don't understand -- and this was the OP's point, I believe -- is people bad-mouthing a cruise line that they've never been on (what's the purpose of doing that?). Why in the world would I listen to someone who has no personal experience with the cruise line?

I have cruised on Princess and Royal. For my 5th cruise I am going on Carnival. Yes, I've heard about the passengers, the "Wal-mart quality" product, etc., etc.

There are things I like about Royal, there are things I like about Princess. I am an itinerary cruiser so I look for the ports I want to go to and pick the best value for me.

I am keeping an open mind about Carnival and will decide for myself if I will sail it again. I think it would have to be absolutely horrendous for me to not go again (if the itinerary was right).

You haven't experienced real service on and cruise line of ship till you sail Disney. Blows everyone else out of the water.

Done them 4 times, sorry, but I don't find them to be all that and far from blowing everyone else out of the water. But, to each their own.

I personally find it amazing, not in a bad way, that anyone can take 10 cruises ..... 20, 30 cruises on one cruise line and no others. With so many other ships, ports, and competitive pricing on others I found it strange that people don't spread their wings. I find it even more bizarre when I look at people's cruise signatures and see some of these one line passengers have been on the same ship 16 times and have done the exact same itinerary 6 or 7 times on these ships. What gives? I can't understand it. That would be about is exciting to me as reading the US tax code with an anticipation level of minus 10.

Well, I think a big part of this is that people often cruise on the ship assigned close to home so they don't have added expense of flying somewhere else. I am going on the Breeze for a second time (different itinerary) because I happen to like that ship a lot. As far as similar itinerary, well, being based in California, if I don't want to fly across the country, I am limited to the Mexican riviera, so I have done that a couple times on different ships.

In general, though, I agree. I want to see more ports and a variety of ships and lines.

I have a friend who has cruised before who I won't talk to about cruising. He has never been anywhere near a CCL ship yet always refers to Carnival as the "Poop cruise line" after Triumph's issues in 2013. He won't hear anything positive about Carnival because he's built an image in his head and doesn't want to hear anything that could dispel it. His experience is a single cruise on Princess about fifteen years ago.

A co-worker of my father's is like that. Swears by RCI and every other cruise line is inferior by default even though he's never sailed with them.

Edited by lizzyplague

We've only cruised Disney, Carnival, and the Grand Celebration. Our last big cruise was on the Conquest and we met an older couple who were on their 99th cruise. So, if Carnival is so bad, why would THEY still be choosing Carnival?

When we were in Grand Turk, we were next to a HAL ship. There was a couple on their balcony of the HAL ship that started up a conversation with us. After talking about the itineraries and life on board they told us that they "wish they were on (our) ship." They told us that their ship shuts down around 10 PM.

Now all of this may be just a few people's opinion, and everyone has their preferences, but it sounds like we are getting a good deal. We enjoy saving some money and upgrading to a nicer room and we always get a ship full of all kinds of people. it really is a "fun" ship.

Was recently on rccl oasis.

23rd cruise cruise mostly with carnival have always been told food and service and entertainment is amazing on royal. Entertainment was better for sure I did miss the party vibe a little but I knew that going in. Food and service was terrible that's not to say carnival is much better if at all. After being told for ten years it awesome definitely not what I expected. Carnival quality of food is the same as all cruise food is just ok. But carnivals selection in mdr and buffet is better and actual food as apposed to the slop they put together on rccl. Did also do specialty dining chops grille and Izumi they again were ok but not great. Service was the worst I've ever had on any cruise ship maybe there's too many people but I don't believe in excuses so... Ask waiter 4 to 5 times for lemon for water , etc.. Room steward had some kind of problem with providing towels we shower a lot so we want extra Towels. Anyway despite my rant really on people talking up rccl it didn't affect my vacation. Had a great time and will sail again freedom dec4 and harmony jan14 just now knowing it's all about the same.

We like variety (see signature below), but I understand being loyal to a particular cruise line. All the perks we get for being Diamond Plus on RCI make it pretty compelling to sail on them all the time....but we don't. Last two cruises were on Carnival, the one before was on NCL. The next one is on RCI...the one after that is on Avalon (river cruise).

However, what I don't understand -- and this was the OP's point, I believe -- is people bad-mouthing a cruise line that they've never been on (what's the purpose of doing that?). Why in the world would I listen to someone who has no personal experience with the cruise line?

Yes, this is my point. I don't understand why people, who have never stepped foot on Carnival, feel the need to "warn me".

No one warned me about HAL. No one warned me about Jamaica two months ago. No one is warning me about my trip to Cancun this Saturday ( except for the weather man ). No one warned me about visits to Vegas, Paris, or London.

But Heaven forbid you book a Carnival cruise and you would think I was joining Tom Cruise in Going clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As you can see, we are not loyal to any line. We enjoy variety. Many well-meaning people warned us to avoid cruising on Carnival, RC and Princess because they "heard" about that or that not being as good. And these were people who had never set foot on any of them.

Now, after having experienced these cruise lines for ourselves, I can say we enjoy them all!

In August we will be on a 14 day HAL cruise. I have heard over and over again to avoid this line because of the "older" passengers. I booked this cruise for our anniversary due to it's unique itinerary. We will be so busy having a great time, we won't even notice the other passengers! :D

Cruising is a great way to travel regardless of which cruise line you prefer. Happy cruising everyone!

Edited by JimAOk1945

You haven't experienced real service on and cruise line of ship till you sail Disney. Blows everyone else out of the water.

And their ships rival Royal Caribbean.

Disney does awesome cruises, and would say my favorite ships have been the Oasis class, and the Disney Dream class. The problem is while their ships rival Royal Caribbean, their prices rival Oceania!

We have a good friend who loves to cruise and when she found out we prefer to cruise Carnival, even though we have cruised other lines, most recently Celebrity, she just couldn't understand how we could possibly cruise Carnival though she has never been on a Carnival cruise. I will give her the benefit of the doubt that we are in California, so most of the opportunities for Carnival in California are the booze cruises down to Mexico. Anyway....a month or so ago she did a Mediterranean cruise on one of Vikings first non river cruises, and compared it to our upcoming Vista cruise...she was shocked that she paid 4 times the price of our cruise for her interior while we are in a balcony, and after comparing amenities, she is now considering that maybe she should try a Carnival cruise. We never argued with her, or told her how wrong she was, just shared our experiences....I do believe we may have a convert on our hands. She is now exploring the Hawaiian cruises on the Miracle.

Carnival? Well I HEARD they have drunks and low life's onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think I would say "Yup- them is my kind of peoples. Wanna see my new thongs and cut offs? Little Johnny's been working on his keg stand after Kindergarten each day and can't wait to show it off."