Breakaway Med Evac

evandbob

Just off the B/A Bermuda cruise, on our sea day back to NYC, the Captain informed us that there would be a deviation in course to meet a helicoptor from the Carolinas - someone needed urgent medical care.

He thoroughly warned everyone not to use flash photography or lasers when the heli approached, as this could adversely affect the heli pilot and crew members, even in daylight hours.

Rather than join the crowd, I elected to watch the evac from my cabin on the TV forward deck cam. The heli never landed, but hovered exactly over the bow as we cruised at 12 knots. It dropped a crew member down 1st, then an empty basket for the ill passenger. This was repeated for a 2nd passenger, and then just a cable was lowered for the original crew member.

The whole procedure was done in maybe 20 minutes. The heli was painted a yellow/orange/gold color to honor the 100 years of service the Coast Guard provided.

Kudos to the CG crew as well as the B/A's crew and passengers during the evac. I hope the 2 EVACed pax got the care they needed.

I had a pass to the Thermal Suite and was able to get some great pictures of the helicopter. I didn't take any of them airlifting the sick passengers. Only of the Coast Guard being hoisted down out of respect to the family. The entire operation was handled with precision and both NCL and the U.S. Coast Guard should be commended! I hope the sick passengers are OK

Relatives of the woman posted on Cruise Law News.

They are thrilled that she was safely taken to the hospital.

She had been in the ship's infirmary for 2 days!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app