Platinum cabin / non-platinum cabin check in

jocko4279

I can't seem to find the answer to this question in my searching. For my upcoming cruise, my buddy is coming along and bringing his daughter and her friend. He is platinum, daughter & friend are not (they are both 15). He has his own cabin, and they have their own cabin & booking # linked to his reservation. Everything was paid for with his CC and all online accounts for the party are linked to his card. When you go to print out their boarding pass it does not have the "priority" label on it, whereas his does. I'm thinking they should still be able to check in with him since they are minors and everything is linked to his account. Am I wrong?

The minor thing might make a difference,

but normally only the people in the platinum cabin get priority boarding

It has happened with us.

We usually just wait and board with our non platinum friends.

I paid and linked everything thru me but it didn't matter.

Also your S&S cards will be in 2 different locations.

We would each check in different locations and meet back up in the waiting room.

If I had kids i would do them first and have them follow me to the P&D check in.

He will have to check in with them at there status. If who ever is sharing a cabin with him is Platnum then he could put one of the girl's in each cabin and then they would be able to have Platnum check in. Then switch up once on board.

I can't seem to find the answer to this question in my searching. For my upcoming cruise, my buddy is coming along and bringing his daughter and her friend. He is platinum, daughter & friend are not (they are both 15). He has his own cabin, and they have their own cabin & booking # linked to his reservation. Everything was paid for with his CC and all online accounts for the party are linked to his card. When you go to print out their boarding pass it does not have the "priority" label on it, whereas his does. I'm thinking they should still be able to check in with him since they are minors and everything is linked to his account. Am I wrong?

ONLY because they are minors will they be allowed to check in with the Platinum passenger... Being linked or using the same credit card does not matter anymore as too many people were trying "to beat the system" by booking like that and then changing once on board... Tell your buddy not to worry... they will not separate him from his daughter and her friend....

ONLY because they are minors will they be allowed to check in with the Platinum passenger... Being linked or using the same credit card does not matter anymore as too many people were trying "to beat the system" by booking like that and then changing once on board... Tell your buddy not to worry... they will not separate him from his daughter and her friend....

Thanks!

This isn't necessarily true. I believe they follow the same rules as FTTF when it comes to this and here is what's listed under FAQs:

Q: We have two staterooms, but only our minor children, in the second stateroom. Do we still need to book FTTF for their stateroom also?

A: Yes, all cabins regardless of occupants will require a FTTF ticket to be able to receive the benefits

This isn't necessarily true. I believe they follow the same rules as FTTF when it comes to this and here is what's listed under FAQs:

Q: We have two staterooms, but only our minor children, in the second stateroom. Do we still need to book FTTF for their stateroom also?

A: Yes, all cabins regardless of occupants will require a FTTF ticket to be able to receive the benefits

we'll see what happens, no big deal either way. I just find it kind of hard to believe they would split up minor children from the guardian.

This question has been asked a bunch of times, mostly about FTTF and then Plat/Diamond status gets pulled into it. Since both are minors in the second cabin He should not have any problems with them accompanying him... the problem will be when you check in. Their cards may be at another station and they will have to be retrieved by the person (or someone) checking you in and that will delay the process... BUT if HE goes with them and does not use his "priority" status the same thing may happen in that his card may be at the P/D waiting area and again someone may have to go get it.

His best bet is to show his priority boarding pass and explain it to the person on the ground at the terminal, do whatever they ask him to do. Be kind to them and nice things may happen....

we'll see what happens, no big deal either way. I just find it kind of hard to believe they would split up minor children from the guardian.

Well really they're not. The parents are by booking them in a separate room. There's nothing wrong with having the Priority parent check in and get on with the minor children in the non Priority lines except for the fact that their card may be in a different location. If it were me I would go through the regular line. And I can say that as I am now Platinum myself.

I don't think they would - I think they'd tell you that you have to wait with them until they can get on board.

Glad you have a cool head and realize it's no big deal - get there early enough, maybe a 5 minute difference or maybe an extra time in line (come...mingle with the masses). Once you get onboard, they can throw their junk in your room until theirs is ready so it all works out :)

Let us know how it goes!

Many posters state that S&S cards are at "different stations", meaning they have been pre-printed and sorted prior to check in.

I realize that is the old way of doing things that many have experienced, but I can't help but think that with a little techno advance, my S&S card gets initialized during my check in process. For example, if they have my S&S card at the P&D check in, why can I get a card when I use the MIA airport Carnival check in counter?

Sure the check in clerk walks away for a sec to get the card, but just like at a hotel, the S&S card is probably keyed during the check in process.

Edited by evandbob

Many posters state that S&S cards are at "different stations", meaning they have been pre-printed and sorted prior to check in.

I realize that is the old way of doing things that many have experienced, but I can't help but think that with a little techno advance, my S&S card gets initialized during my check in process. For example, if they have my S&S card at the P&D check in, why can I get a card when I use the MIA airport Carnival check in counter?

Sure the check in clerk walks away for a sec to get the card, but just like at a hotel, the S&S card is probably keyed during the check in process.

They are all printed a day or 2 before. Hence they are already in the envelopes and all the CSR does is go over and take the envelope out. When you check in at the airport they are simply reprinting your S&S card.

I changed cabins the night before my last cruise and when I received my S&S card and it was keyed for my original one. I know because I couldn't get into my new one and it worked in the old one. Had to go to GS. My info was correct in the computer, mind you.

Edited by firemanbobswife

They are all printed a day or 2 before. Hence they are already in the envelopes and all the CSR does is go over and take the envelope out. When you check in at the airport they are simply reprinting your S&S card.

I changed cabins the night before my last cruise and when I received my S&S card it em was keyed for my original one. I know blues it couldn't get into my new one and it worked in the old one. Had to go to GS. My info was correct in the computer, mind you.

Seems so 19th century to pre-print and sort S&S cards though. Even a Motel 6 can key a new card in secs with one swipe.

am I reading this wrong? doesn't there have to be a legal adult (25+) booked into a cabin with minor children?

No that's only to travel alone. As long as a Parent or Guardian is with them it's fine.

MINOR GUEST POLICY

Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own. Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided at embarkation.

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian.

The bookings must be cross-referenced with the relative or guardian’s stateroom and documented properly.

When minors (18 and under) are not traveling with a relative, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel.

Guests who are 21 to 24 years of age may travel with their minor children.

Minors Traveling as a Group: The policy is slightly different because of stricter group terms and conditions as follows:

Must have 1 chaperone for every 8 minors

Prepaid gratuities per minor are due at final payment

8 or more staterooms must be booked through the Group Department and a $100 damage deposit per minor will be charged.

Guests 12 and younger

If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).

Guests 13 - 17 years of age

Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).

Guests 18 – 20 years of age

Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Seems so 19th century to pre-print and sort S&S cards though. Even a Motel 6 can key a new card in secs with one swipe.

Couple potential guesses

Most of your departures are on certain days, which gives a lot of downtime during the week for the Carnival port workers. So they can handle this during downtime when you don't have 3000 guests waiting for you. Don't know if it's a full time job or just a part-time, a few days a week for those workers.

It could also be so you can work around issues with the card printers. While I'm sure they have multiple, they can batch them up and whatever fails on one can quickly be moved to another.

Would also reduce the amount of printers needed - instead of having one at each one or two stations, you can have a couple hefty ones. That's the IT person in me thinking of easier to support.

Will have to pay a little more attention when I check in next time. Will also have to bring my card in and swipe it on the a magstrip reader at work to see what it pulls off.

As for re-keying them, typically those systems don't have room numbers on the magstripe. The card has an identifier. There is a central system the doors communicate with that says what stripe can open what door. They can be preprogrammed, they can be forced to look for update, or they can be real-time linked up with the computer. Obviously they get more expensive when you have real-time interaction. Don't know how they do it there, but I would guess they have the cards assigned to rooms and after they clear the ship, they force the readers to update (some do whenever they record and log a swipe - ie stewards going in). However any changes need to be forced in - could be that checkin has the changes recorded, but it didn't make it to the ship computer so the door knows.

The more I read and think about it, the logistics of how they pull off this off becomes more and more fascinating!

Couple potential guesses

Most of your departures are on certain days, which gives a lot of downtime during the week for the Carnival port workers. So they can handle this during downtime when you don't have 3000 guests waiting for you. Don't know if it's a full time job or just a part-time, a few days a week for those workers.

It could also be so you can work around issues with the card printers. While I'm sure they have multiple, they can batch them up and whatever fails on one can quickly be moved to another.

Would also reduce the amount of printers needed - instead of having one at each one or two stations, you can have a couple hefty ones. That's the IT person in me thinking of easier to support.

Will have to pay a little more attention when I check in next time. Will also have to bring my card in and swipe it on the a magstrip reader at work to see what it pulls off.

As for re-keying them, typically those systems don't have room numbers on the magstripe. The card has an identifier. There is a central system the doors communicate with that says what stripe can open what door. They can be preprogrammed, they can be forced to look for update, or they can be real-time linked up with the computer. Obviously they get more expensive when you have real-time interaction. Don't know how they do it there, but I would guess they have the cards assigned to rooms and after they clear the ship, they force the readers to update (some do whenever they record and log a swipe - ie stewards going in). However any changes need to be forced in - could be that checkin has the changes recorded, but it didn't make it to the ship computer so the door knows.

The more I read and think about it, the logistics of how they pull off this off becomes more and more fascinating!

You're right it is kind of neat when you think about it. So based on what I experienced it appears they don't have real time linking or mine would have been right.

I just always thought that the cards were programmed for certain locks. I never gave it much thought until now. Interesting stuff.

You're right it is kind of neat when you think about it. So based on what I experienced it appears they don't have real time linking or mine would have been right.

I just always thought that the cards were programmed for certain locks. I never gave it much thought until now. Interesting stuff.

The mag strip is what controls most things still, hence not putting it near a magnet or certain types of leather. Some purses/wallets can DE-magnetize a card, even walking in an environment that is low humidity because you cause static electricity. Real-time updating only works if the strip still contains the data.

The mag strip is what controls most things still, hence not putting it near a magnet or certain types of leather. Some purses/wallets can DE-magnetize a card, even walking in an environment that is low humidity because you cause static electricity. Real-time updating only works if the strip still contains the data.

Thanks for the info.

We had exactly the same situation last July. My 15 year old son and friend in one room. I am platinum in another room. We ALL boarded as platinum because they are minors. Maybe they had to get the boys cards from somewhere else but there was not a question about doing. Their room was not ready upon boarding so they dumped their stuff in my room.

For luggage, we put my platinum tags on all the bags so they arrived early. The boys just grabbed theirs from in front of my room.

This is from Carnival's web site.

Priority Check-In Program

Carnival’s Priority Check-In is an exclusive service designed to afford our Platinum and Diamond guests and those traveling in deluxe suite accommodations with special check-in privileges. Cruise documents are stamped, PRIORITY and state, “If you have priority check-in (listed on your documents), please proceed to the Priority Lounge.”

Please Note:

We offer Priority Check-In at all embarkation ports.

Deluxe Suite Accommodations include the following categories: CS ES GS SS VS FS HS SS OS JS OB

For those guests traveling with minor children alone (without an adult) in separate staterooms that do not fall into one of the three categories above, these additional staterooms may check in through the Priority Check-In Program as well.

Guests who have purchased the Faster to the Fun package do not have access to the Priority Check-In Lounge.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1380

• 3 weeks later...

Here is Carnival link - appears to me they go with adult Platinum.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1380/~/priority-check-in-program