Advice Requested: Alaska Cruise Booking Strategy

PNResearch

Good evening! Long-time reader posting for the first time. Thank you, very much, for all the great advice and congeniality on these boards. I've only taken one other cruise, which was not on HAL.

I am hoping to book the Westerdam's Alaska 7-day r/t from Seattle departing 24 August. Hoping, because it's dependent on my work schedule. If I'll be in SEA on business the week before, I'm going to take my vacation on the Westerdam. The very idea is exciting, but I won't know for a couple of weeks (at least).

Now to the questions!

How long can I reasonably wait to book? I've been tracking rates at the HAL site since this became a possibility and cabins have been available even a few days before sailing in May and June.

Should I book before 1 July (when the anniversary sale ends) or push my luck into August?

How do I calculate the final payment date for this itinerary? Maybe I should put down the deposit and cancel if I cannot actually go?

My current plan is to book either G4092 or G4080. They seem to be the best partially obstructed ov cabins. (If neither is available later, I'll go with an HH.)

If HAL contacts me with an upsell offer, my best guess is that it will be for an OV--but the current ones available have some issues, imo (near galley, staff kitchen, et cetera). If one receives and upsell offer, is it for a specific cabin or just a category?

Do upsells work in steps? If I turn down the OV, will I never get an offer to buy into a verandah?

Verandah cabins are currently $500-$800 more than the partially obstructed ov, and that's more than I can spend and still have good onshore experiences. I would pay a few hundred more, but not that much.

I'm concerned if I say yes to an upsell and get an undesirable ov cabin, I might not get a chance to buy into a verandah.

What's your best advice?

Final payment date should be around June 10.

Thank you, Jemima. If I understand correctly, prices are more likely to drop after final payment, correct?

I will hold out a few more days. I appreciate your help.

You have done a lot of research. Wait until your plans firm up and then see what cabins are available. Because you have researched the locations and know that some areas of the ship are better suited to you..... I think you should book the cabin that you would be happy with.

You can choose a cabin and still accept an upsell to an acceptable cabin but if HAL makes you an upsell offer you must have your choices ready.

If you say you will accept a free upgrade the cabin they give you may not be in a location that you would choose (like under the kitchen or over the showroom)....but you could get very lucky.

If I am picky I choose my cabin and say "no upgrade", hoping that an "upsell" may become available.

My first trip to Alaska I chose a fully obstructed view (outside), accepted the free upgrade to a partially obstructed view and as long as I was on the promenade deck with light coming in a window I was a happy cruiser. The more we know the pickier we get! It's Alaska...you will be out and about most of the time.

Nobody knows when the upsell/upgrade fairy will strike, so I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about that. I suggest you book a guarantee or specific cabin that you can be comfortable in and at a price that's acceptable to you. If you're on a tight budget, go for the cheaper cabin and splurge on the shore excursions, which can be expensive--your onshore experience, as you put it.

I think this cruise is already past final payment (90 days out). So watch until you're sure of your business travel, and then if you will be in Seattle, book as soon as you know. From what I've seen, prices change a lot in the inside and ov categories, but less in the verandas and suites.

I can only speak to my recent experience. The price has dropped dramatically for my cruise and I could get the same class of room I have now for about half the price if I hadn't already made final payment (I leave Saturday, so final payment was long ago). In addition, I've gotten three upsell offers. I have a veranda room and my first offer was for Neptune. The second and third were for either Neptune or Signature Suite. I didn't take advantage of any of them because we like our current location, but the price dropped a little each time. So it IS possible you'll get offered multiple classes of upgrade at one time.

My philosophy on when to book anything is always dependent on how particular I am. If I really want specific dates or locations, I book as soon as I can. If I have more flexibility, I wait and continue to monitor availability and price. If the availability drops below my threshold, or the price stabilizes, I book then.