Wine List

Travelcat--

Thank you for the information. As expected, an upcharge.

We will be on Voyager 24 August Southampton to Stockholm.

We really enjoyed our cruise to Antarctica on Crystal. It was nice to never have to pull out our card. Shore Excursions were not, of course, included but we only did one -- in The Falklands.

I'm curious about your comment about "True Open Seating". We had no problem eating where and when we wanted. A couple of nights it took some flexibility but it always worked out.

Frank in dark and damp SBA:cool:

The Voyager is our favorite Regent ship (but I suspect that it will be replaced by the Explorer:P-)

Regarding "True Open Seating", in Compass Rose (Main Dining Room) or Sette Mari (Italian restaurant with a antipasti buffet, served dinner and buffet dessert), you can arrive any time you wish and request a table for two, a table for four (or more) or a table where you can share. From what I have read, this is not how it is on Crystal. I do understand that Crystal's current two ships cannot accommodate the type of open seating that Regent has.

Okay - have to ask..... what is "Frank in dark and damp"?

Okay - have to ask..... what is "Frank in dark and damp"?

The signature started when someone, a long time ago, said that the weather must always be perfect in Santa Barbara (SBA). I started posting what it REALLY was and people seemed to enjoy that. Summer here is usually June Gloom, July Grey and August Yuck. The best time to come is November when the crowds are gone and you can "count the sheep" on the Channel Islands.

We really had no trouble getting in to the places we wanted for dinner on Crystal. We had "0" status with Crystal but we knew the key words -- "Please", "If it's possible" and "Thank You".

We are a bit concerned about this cruise because the price we paid is SO much below the "Brochure Price". Have things changed that much since NCL took over? We've only done one cruise with NCL -- actually NCLA -- on Pride of Hawai'i now Norwegian Jade and it was a disaster. Beautiful ship but 90% of the crew were most recently employed by McDonald's.

Frank in dark and cool (60ºF) SBA:cool:

The signature started when someone, a long time ago, said that the weather must always be perfect in Santa Barbara (SBA). I started posting what it REALLY was and people seemed to enjoy that. Summer here is usually June Gloom, July Grey and August Yuck. The best time to come is November when the crowds are gone and you can "count the sheep" on the Channel Islands.

We really had no trouble getting in to the places we wanted for dinner on Crystal. We had "0" status with Crystal but we knew the key words -- "Please", "If it's possible" and "Thank You".

We are a bit concerned about this cruise because the price we paid is SO much below the "Brochure Price". Have things changed that much since NCL took over? We've only done one cruise with NCL -- actually NCLA -- on Pride of Hawai'i now Norwegian Jade and it was a disaster. Beautiful ship but 90% of the crew were most recently employed by McDonald's.

Frank in dark and cool (60ºF) SBA:cool:

Thanks so much for the explanation. I was raised in L.A. and we loved going to Santa Barbara for the weekend.

Appreciate the fact that you have the same polite attitude that we do. It's no wonder that you had no difficulty getting into restaurants on Crystal.

We have sailed on Regent since 2004. While there were some changes when Regent was purchased approximately 8 yrs. ago, there has been no changes since NCHL purchased Regent. In fact, Regent is still managed by the same people. You won't see any former McDonald's employees on Regent:D

Greetings from rainy Washington (which isn't true ... when we moved here we were told to tell people that it rains every day.)

Edited by Travelcat2

Cat and Dave--

Thanks for your responses and help. It's kind of fun to be a "newbie" again!

There are some very nice wines at good prices on that list. I may have to stray from the everyday offerings. I have to say, though, that I was introduced to Bogle Chard on Azamara where it was an everyday pour. It's now MY everyday pour at home thanks to Trader Joe's where it's $6.99.

I have a question about the mini-bar. We don't drink beer (Except with Mexican food.). Can we ask for wine instead? That was an option on Crystal and Azamara (In a Suite on Azamara.).

Frank in overcast and cool SBA:cool:

You can absolutely ask for wine - no problem! Also, passengers in a PH or above suite can order in-suite munchies, alcohol, etc. online. Passengers in a Grand, Master or "Regent" suite (Regent suite only on the Explorer) can have a in suite party for yourselves and three other couples. Your butler will handle it.

It is a good idea to set up your account on the Regent website sooner rather than later as it will give you the dates you can make excursion and dining reservations as well as filling out the butler form.

• 2 years later...

As has been said, included wine lists are not often given out.  Whatever is posted on this thread is no doubt obsolete (from 2016).  Hopefully someone will post photos of the connoisseur list.  Even better - why not start a new thread "2019 Regent wine lists"

Edited by Travelcat2

On 6/11/2016 at 7:49 PM, sbalax said:

Travelcat--

Thank you for the information. As expected, an upcharge.

We will be on Voyager 24 August Southampton to Stockholm.

We really enjoyed our cruise to Antarctica on Crystal. It was nice to never have to pull out our card. Shore Excursions were not, of course, included but we only did one -- in The Falklands.

I'm curious about your comment about "True Open Seating". We had no problem eating where and when we wanted. A couple of nights it took some flexibility but it always worked out.

Frank in dark and damp SBA:cool:

Happy to answer your question.  Prior to Crystal's refurbishment of their two ships they had set seating and open seating by reservation (assuming the open seating by reservation is correct - we have not sailed on Crystal yet).  Some posters state that they had no difficulty getting a seat in the dining room whenever they wanted to and others disagree.  

Most Regent passengers enjoy open seating which means that you can show up at the door of Compass Rose (main dining room) or Sette Mari (Italian restaurant - no reservations taken - open at night) and you will be seated whether you are a couple, a foursome or have a larger group (there are limits to the size of the tables).  Flexibility is not an issue but, if you go to Compass Rose after an event (like the Captain's Reception), there could be a short wait.   

I assume that Crystal now has open seating that is the same as Regent, Seabourn and Silversea.  The thought of having to sit at a table with the same people every night put us off of Crystal (in addition to their small suites).  

You will not need your keycard on any luxury cruise line unless you wish to purchase something at the boutique or purchase a premium wine/alcohol (and of course, to board or disembark the ship).  The alcohol (spirits) selection is quite high end so most people do not even think about purchasing a bottle (think Patron tequila, Grey Goose vodka, etc.).  Interestingly, I was looking at the Crystal alcohol list today and noticed that they charge $10 for Don Julio anejo tequila while on Regent there is no uncharge.  On the other hand, they have Talisker whiskey at no charge and Regent has a charge.

Think that you will love your cruise.  We did that itinerary in 2006 on Voyager and enjoyed it very much.  Voyager was our favorite ship for years but has not been replaced with Explorer.  The suites on Voyager are a good size (larger and better laid out than on Mariner).  Anyway, enjoy the anticipation of your cruise! 

On 1/13/2019 at 9:28 PM, Travelcat2 said:

Happy to answer your question.  Prior to Crystal's refurbishment of their two ships they had set seating and open seating by reservation (assuming the open seating by reservation is correct - we have not sailed on Crystal yet).  Some posters state that they had no difficulty getting a seat in the dining room whenever they wanted to and others disagree. 

You just re-answered a question from 2-1/2 years ago.