Voom the same has a cruise package through ATT?

Hi, I will be on Freedom of the Seas this December. I have been reading about Zoom and thought I knew enough about "gadgets" to figure this out but obviously I dont :confused:

I plan on getting Voom surf/stream. Would I still need to get the cruise package from ATT for my talk/texting back to home? I do not plan on a bunch of texting/calls but I do not want to incur per minute charges. My last cruise I got a 50 call/50 text plan for $60 and it was plenty.

Also, if myself and my husband (he will be in CT) have Iphones does that make a difference if we used the iphone messenger?

Can anyone help me out Thanks!

Edited by junior8

I have AT&T and an IPhone 6. I received and made calls with NO charge when on airplane mode and RCCL wifi. So messaging and and calls a have been free[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I will be on Freedom of the Seas this December. I have been reading about Zoom and thought I knew enough about "gadgets" to figure this out but obviously I dont :confused:

I plan on getting Voom surf/stream. Would I still need to get the cruise package from ATT for my talk/texting back to home? I do not plan on a bunch of texting/calls but I do not want to incur per minute charges. My last cruise I got a 50 call/50 text plan for $60 and it was plenty.

Also, if myself and my husband (he will be in CT) have Iphones does that make a difference if we used the iphone messenger?

Can anyone help me out Thanks!

If you have iPhone 6/6s's and you have wifi calling enabled, you will be able to make regular cell phone calls and SMS texts (not FaceTime or iMessage) over the ship's wifi at no additional cost and you won't need the cruise ship package. You can of course also do FaceTime calls and send/receive iMessages over the ship's wifi. If you don't have wifi calling enabled, then you will need the ATT cruise ship package for non FaceTime calls and SMS texts.

Try it out at home before you ever get on the ship. Put your phone in Airplane mode and then turn on WiFi only (just as you would on the ship). See what works - it will be the same on the ship (with perhaps slightly less performance).

If you are an AT&T customer with Mobile Value Share of at least 5GB/month (I think that's the min) then you can use your phone in Mexico for texts, talk and up to 1GB of data for free. Just add it to your plan via the website.

BTW, once you bring your phone out of airplane mode it will connect to a local provider (not AT&T) but there is no roaming or extra charges.

So as others said. If you have an iPhone 6/6s with wifi calling enabled, you can make and receive calls over Voom. You can also txt other iPhones. You can face time. If you tell them to add Mexico to your plan it should be free when you are off the ship in a Mexican port.

If you need or want the use of your phone in a non-Mexican port while off the ship, or you need to get texts from other types of phones (and people who don't know about the wifi txt apps) you need an ATT package.

Edited by MattInFLL