Formal/Smart Casual on 13 nt Dawn Princess Syd to New Zealand in December

crutips4us

We like to travel as luggage light as possible but still abide by dress code. On a December ("down under" summer) cruise to New Zealand/RT from Sydney, what would be considered appropriate MDR dinner attire for gentlemen/ladies?

Are Aussie/New Zealander cruise mates likely to be more or less casual than Americans on board?

...On a December ("down under" summer) cruise to New Zealand/RT from Sydney, what would be considered appropriate MDR dinner attire for gentlemen/ladies?...

I've done a couple of 2 week New Zealand cruises from Australia and always wear a sport jacket and tie on formal nights. Some men even wear a tux. I have seen people turned away for not complying with the standard of dress.

Then again, it must depend on the ship and the crew because I have also seen people allowed into the MDR on formal nights wearing just smart casual shoes and trousers and a shirt with no tie.

I like to comply with the standard to save myself the embarrassment of being turned away. ;)

I wear a Suit on Formal nights, no more luggage space than pants and jacket. And trousers and short (long if it's cold) sleeve shirt other nights. Once in a blue moon I might take my tux.

Mrs Gut wears a dress or pants suit on formal and pants or skirt with a top or a dress other nights.

And I think you might be in for a surprise, I'd say Aussies are more likely to dress to "code" than Americans, many of US like to put on the Sunday Best once in a while and play the toff.

I have a selection of "cruise clothes" in my wardrobe at all times :D. For a 2 week cruise I would pack a few silk style caftans with sequins/jewels. They basically weigh nothing and don't take up any space in your bag at all and the sparkly caftans are appropriate for formal night.

This suggestion is probably aimed at females... but each to their own :D.

I also travel with some crush-free basic black pieces. Pants, tops, dresses and use different scarves and jewellery etc to create different "outfits". One pair of nice black shoes and you've covered off every night!

I always laugh because my mum and dad have a lot of photos around their house of the two of them at formal nights on cruises. It would be almost impossible to tell what cruise they are on because my dad always wears his dinner suit and my mum has been wearing the same cruise formal outfit for more than 20 years, so every photo looks the same :eek:. She still looks nice it in though.

I wear a Suit on Formal nights, no more luggage space than pants and jacket. And trousers and short (long if it's cold) sleeve shirt other nights. Once in a blue moon I might take my tux.

Mrs Gut wears a dress or pants suit on formal and pants or skirt with a top or a dress other nights.

And I think you might be in for a surprise, I'd say Aussies are more likely to dress to "code" than Americans, many of US like to put on the Sunday Best once in a while and play the toff.

Thanks! My husband has a tux but think he'll go with dark suit this trip.

I have a selection of "cruise clothes" in my wardrobe at all times :D. For a 2 week cruise I would pack a few silk style caftans with sequins/jewels. They basically weigh nothing and don't take up any space in your bag at all and the sparkly caftans are appropriate for formal night.

This suggestion is probably aimed at females... but each to their own :D.

I also travel with some crush-free basic black pieces. Pants, tops, dresses and use different scarves and jewellery etc to create different "outfits". One pair of nice black shoes and you've covered off every night!

I always laugh because my mum and dad have a lot of photos around their house of the two of them at formal nights on cruises. It would be almost impossible to tell what cruise they are on because my dad always wears his dinner suit and my mum has been wearing the same cruise formal outfit for more than 20 years, so every photo looks the same :eek:. She still looks nice it in though.

Thanks Libby- Good ideas. And indeed scarves and jewelry can change a look/outfit. Thanks.....My/our daughter/son in law live in Brisbane - actually Bulimba- we're meeting up with them after our NZ cruise for the Christmas/NYE holiday and travel about. 'tis a long way for the west coast of USA so we need to make the most of it when we do the long flights down and back. Best~ deb