Taormina

jimb98

How easy is it to get there on public transport from Messina port ?

Not very easy....but doable :). There are public buses (you can Google the schedule) which usually run from Messina Centrale (its a hike from the port) but these public buses make other stops and take 1:15 - 1:40 versus about 40 minutes for a car or tour bus. It is also possible by train, but the train station is located below the city of Taormina...so once off the train you still need to find transportation up to Taormina via taxi or local bus. There is also a cable car that can get you up to Taormina....but the station (located near Mazzaro Beach, is not convenient to the train station.

Hank

Here's the bus schedule from the train station in Giardini Naxos to Taormina: http://www.interbus.it/Orarietariffe.aspx?locPartenza=3127&locArrivo=0%287155&DataPartenza=13/08/2016

There is also a local bus line but they only run a few times each day: http://www.taorminaservizipubblici.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=216&Itemid=57

We were in this port last year. Hired a taxi for 6 of us. We got together with two other couples from the ship and it was a pleasant drive uphill to old town. I don't think you really need a tour. Just walk around old town, sit in a nice cafe, shop and look around. It's beautiful and relaxing. The only thing is, you need to arrange for the driver to come get you because sometimes it's hard to get a ride back. Luckily, the driver left his card with us and I went to the local bar, asked for the phone and with my broken Italian was able to find out that he is sending another driver for us since something came up and he couldn't make it. They are not very accurate with time overthere. We really enjoyed this port.

A couple of years ago we did a private tour via Sicily Tours and Taxis with Roberto. We did the Taormina and Godfather tour and it was excellent! 2 years ago it was 400 Euros for the day.. there were 4 of us. There are a lot of good reviews on Tripadvisor (including mine).

we did the train two weeks ago. It is actually easy. First, the Messina station is only about ten minutes walk from the port. It is about five euros for the trip. Yes, you do have to take a bus up to Taormina, but they were frequent. The return trip was also easy

I wouldn't hesitate in doing by train

we did the train two weeks ago. It is actually easy. First, the Messina station is only about ten minutes walk from the port. It is about five euros for the trip. Yes, you do have to take a bus up to Taormina, but they were frequent. The return trip was also easy

I wouldn't hesitate in doing by train

We'll be there 10/1/16 on Saturday from 10am-7pm. Do you think we have enough time to go to Taormina by train since the next train leave at 12:15 and get there at 13:23?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

We also used Roberto a few weeks ago and our group of 7 had a wonderful day!

We were met at the port (sign with our name) - then off to the sea-port village below Taormina.....then up to Taormina.

PLEASE do not miss going into the amphitheater at the end of town - the views are absolutely spectacular!

Then we walked down to the gardens (such a pretty place....big trees, beautiful views, and pretty buildings). Then we walked to the town center area....down along the cobble streets, past stores and outdoor cafes.

After Taormina we drove up for some quick views from Castelmola Village. WOW......I thought we were high looking down from the Amphitheater....now the Amphitheater was WAY below us!!

It was a great day - highly recommended. Our driver drove us through town on the way back to the ship and we stopped to get some great pictures of the ship from a church up on the hill above town.

Judy

Great! We will go to Taormina and have lunch there too. Thanks.

So, we cannot let the food issue pass without a comment. Arguably, Taormina has the best cannolis on earth. So make sure you have dessert :).

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
So, we cannot let the food issue pass without a comment. Arguably, Taormina has the best cannolis on earth. So make sure you have dessert :).

Hank

Best cannoli ever!! We are returning in a few weeks and I'm counting the days!!

a406bbf21962743371a1721856ec3069.jpg

This is at the Etna Pasticceria.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app