I got a steal of a deal today!

Jane110

Hi all,

I happened upon a steal of a deal today and just had to share it!

I'm going to a non-formal wedding this Sunday afternoon and will be wearing a black velvet and lace skirt that I bought in Paris last year.

About 3 weeks ago, I was in the DKNY store and bought a beautiful green lace blouse to wear with it. When I got it home and put it on with the skirt, I realized that I had two other gorgeous silk and lace blouses (one blk, one ivory) that would go just as well. Since the blouse was $245. + tax, I decided to return it and wear one of my others. Just didn't feel like spending that at this time, as I have some other more important purchases to make.

Today, I went into Lord & Taylor to buy some new hosiery and a cashmere sweater, since they sent me a 20% off coupon. As I wandered around the store for a while, I came upon the DKNY dept and there was the same blouse! Armed with my 20% coupon, I was now a bit tempted. Ss I got closer, I saw that it had already been marked down to $150. and with my 20% coupon, the blouse would now be $120.00!!!! $130. less and still in time to wear to the wedding! I'm thrilled.:D

Here's a link to the blouse, shown under a suit. If you click on it, you can see the blouse. However, I did *not* get the gold/ochre color. Mine is a bold, dark green. A bit hard to describe - not as screaming bright as emerald, not as dark as forest, darker than lime - just a gorgeous jewel toned green lace. It fits me percectly and looks so pretty!

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?cmCat=search&itemId=prod24190061

Jane

The blouse is fab!

I do like the color shown, but I bet the green is gorgeous on you.

Ok...you described the outfit....what shoes will you be wearing?

~e

The ochre color shown in the photo is extremely pretty, however, with my coloring, I looked absolutely dead in it. I have dark red hair and very pale skin, and when I tried on that color, it blended in so well I disappeared. It would look smashing on a blonde or dark brunette, but was just awful on me.

Haven't decided on shoes yet. The skirt is full and mid calf length and made from heavy velvet. My choices are a black leather D'Orsay cut pump w/ a 3" heel, a black suede slingback w/ a strap over the instep and a 2.5" heel or a delicate black leather boot that almost reaches the skirt hem & has a black leather bow on the outside edge and has a 3" shiny black sculpted heel.

I like the boot best, but worried that even though it's a delicate boot, it might look too casual. I'm leaning towards the D'Orsay pump. Any opinions?

I have a green snakeskin bag which I thought wouldn't match, but when I got home and put the two next to each other, it seems the greens really blend and compliment each other. Mrs Moose, you saw my green snakeskin bag, what do you think of it with that blouse? I have a dressy black silk bag with a silk rope handle fastened with black silk tassles that also is dressy so I'll use that if I don't like the green bag.

It's chilly here, but not wintercoat weather. I'll be wearing a black wool cape with a beautiful draping hood w/ ribbon that I bought in Australia a few years ago. And green gloves, of course!

Jane

Hi Jane,

Ok, first, I want to say that the snakeskin bag is georgeous, absoultely fantastic.

That said, I would go for the black purse because you are wearing green gloves and considering the occasion/event. I would probably go for the pump or the boot, the boot giving the outfit more of an edge, and I would guess ok consdiering it's an "afternoon affair". You would know more about the wedding considering the location of the affair etc, but I would definitely go with the black bag with the green gloves. You must think three shades of green even if they blend, not sure how it would look. Of course I could be off since I haven't seen it all together.

Also if I may say, I love that bag, it is so beautiful, but I'm not sure if it is as dressy as the black one you describe. Judging from the picture I saw of the blouse and the heavy velvet, and the look you are trying to achieve with the cape I would say a black bag is more elegant. If it were black velvet pants then I would say the snakeskin, but with the skirt I would go with the black bag again.

The cape sounds fantastic. I love those capes with the hoods on them but am a bit to short for myself but I love the look and you will look wonderful in it with your height and great figure.

Also if there is dancing at the affair you may be more comfortable in the pump than the boot, but again depends on the boot and the look you wish to achieve.

Thanks Mrs Moose.

Actually, don't figure the gloves into the equation, since I'll only have them on when outdoors for a few minutes and my blouse would not be showing then anyway. So there would never be 3 greens showing at the same time.

My black bag is gorgeous so I'll probably wear it. I'm one of those people who decides at the last minute.

I thought about dancing and have no idea if there will be any.

But the more I think about it, I think I'll go with the pumps. The boots look more "edgy" or as DH says, "very Left Bank", which is a look I love, but probably not best for a Sunday afternoon wedding.

I'm thrilled to be able to wear my cape as there are so few days of the year when I can wear it. It's not warm enough for winter and too dramatic for an afternoon stroll in the fall.

Happy K's, I searched other sites for the blouse in green but couldn't find it. I know it sounds unattractive, but it's kind of a fresh picked pea green.

Thanks for the opinions!

Ah ok, I understand about the green gloves. Gloves for me are strictly for warmth. I don't like wearing them and only wear them when the climate necessitates. I figured it's much warmer in NYC than here and since I'm still not wearing them, it would be a fashion item. I agree with your DH about the boots about being left bank and edgy.

You cape sounds lovely. I know you will look absoultely perfect and georgeous.

Hi all,

The wedding reception was wonderful and everyone had a great time.

However, the green blouse just doesn't seem to work with any of my skirts. The sash looks bulky and I thought about having the dressmaker take it off, but it seems that DH likes the blouse, but he doesn't Love it.

Instead, I wore an ivory silk blouse that we both agreed looked a lot better.

So the green blouse went back to the store today. I tend to like sexier knit tops, but I like to buy one new dressy conservative blouse every year to wear to work related holiday parties that DH and I get invited to - places where sexy things just wouldn't be appropriate. So, I returned the green blouse, and here's what I got......oh and it was on sale too! :)

Just so happens I have a very formal burgundy evening bag that's all ribbons and beads that looks perfect with it too! (oh and I won't be wearing the sash. The blouse is a bit more conservative that I usually dress, but the sash, IMO, makes it even more so)

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?cmCat=search&itemId=prod21790091

Jane

Very pretty Jane!

Don't you just love these wonderful holiday rich jewel tones?

All the beautiful silks, satins, and velvets!

Thanks for the compliment.

Yes, I'm such a sucker for that stuff. Such a great thing to wear in the winter. The photo of the blouse does it no justice. The "medallions" are pieces of thin ribbon sewn on and then there are tiny bugle beads between the ribbons. Also, the blouse is shaped nicely - not straight, but nicely tapered through the torso and buttons are closed by little loops that go around the buttons. Also, it comes with solid silk camisole of the same color so I don't have to shop around for one.

Our anniversary is in two weeks and we have resy's at one of our favorite formal restaurants, so I'll probably wear it then. It's definitely not cruisewear!

Jane

Archived