Packing for Alaska

lbfluffy

Everyone has given you great advice, layers are key. Do not bring a heavy winter jacket, takes up too much space, a pain to carry and layers will do the trick! The lightweight long underwear is absolutely the best, takes up no space. I live in a northern clime so I have them, not expensive and well worth it.

I took them on my recent May Baltic cruise, didn't need them as it was warmer than normal. Who would think it would be 70 in Russia in early May? However, it could have been damp, rainy and 30s, being unprepared would be bad.

Years ago I took an Alaska cruise, first of the season, we had such warm weather, I had to buy short sleeve tees. I learned my lesson that cruise, now I always plan on layers.

One thing I always do, I save my newspaper plastic sleeves and use them as a liner for my gym shoes, other type of plastic bags would work, too. I do it around here because I like to walk, weather doesn't cooperate and I don't like wearing boots all the time.

Edited by susancruzs

I'm planning to pack long johns. And I will do the layer recommendations. Thanks.

Personally I think you'd be better off going with long silks instead of standard long johns. The reason being, silk is a better insulator plus it's light weight, both for packing as well as wearing.

Yes, dress like an onion, layers.

Edited by Treven