How Many Of You Have......

MILEMRKR63

booked a cruise and did not get off the ship at the ports of call other than to stretch you legs on land.

I am sailing in Dec on the Dawn for 11 days (first NCL ruise) and other than Cozumel, I don't think I will be getting off the ship in ports because I have been to them all many times previously. I do plan on leaving the ship in Cozumel because I enjoy the beaches there.

Does this sound crazy??? I think the notion of having the ship pretty empty in ports will add to my cruise experience.

I am looking forward to comments from others.

I usually take shore excursions at only half the ports on a cruise.

At the others, I just stroll around the dock or pier area looking for deals on souvenirs.

But I never have stayed on the ship, unless it was raining, at any port. If its a dry day, I'm going ashore, if only for a very short time.

Last cruise on the Dawn we only got off to buy a gift for our son in Nassau. We had done the cruise before and had gotten a great upsell on an Owner's Suite and really never wanted to leave the ship, none the less our cabin.

We both now enjoy the cruise itself. It was so relaxing. My wife has always been a sightseer and I like to get away and relax. I think I have finally showed her the way:)

The pool & hot tubs are less crowded. Shuffle board is open. Just walking around the deck is less hectic.

We're going back for a 10 day in December and have 4 excursions booked, but will still have enough time to relax.

Happy Sailing

I book cruises for the ship, not the ports. I've gone on several cruises where I've been to the ports before and have never gotten off the ship the entire cruise! I would much rather "stretch my legs" on the SHIP rather than land! ;)

Port days are a fantastic time to be on the ship. I tend to only go ashore at about half of the ports. It gives me the best opportunikty to enjoy some of the wonderful things on the ship.

As Polish Falcon mentioned, having a leisurely time at lunch in the dining room is great. You get a chance to chat with your waiter more since they are less busy.

The pool and hot tubs are virtually empty. On one cruise, my DH and I had the pool to ourselves for nearly two hours.

There are also activities aboard while in port that tend to be small gatherings of people. One example is on my last Celebrity cruise there was a golf putting tournament that I played in. There were only about 10 of us playing. It was very nice.

Not to mention the spa specials while in port. :)

Kelly

We to do not have to leave the confines of the somewhat quiet:) surroundings when at port we'll spent the day at the pool, eating lunch, etc.
I also frequently don't bother to get off the ship at a port, and once got off at only one port in a week-long cruise. That was Cozumel, as it happens. Otherwise, I'm cruising to be at sea and on a ship, not to go to the ports that the ship stops at.

My feelings are like most of those who have already posted - we book a cruise for the ship and the cruise itself, not the ports of call (as we have been to most ports in the caribbean by land or sea already). I can live vicariously through acquaintances I have met on the ship and have enjoyed the cruiseship while they were in port (best of both worlds).

We are going on the Sun out of Houston in December and will be visiting Playa Del Carmen/Cozumel (been there done that and unfortunately don't think there will be much left after Wilma to see/do anyway), Belize (never been there), and Roatan (never been there either) - so I guess we will get off the ship for 2 of the 3 ports of call for at least awhile but the thought of spending 4 days on the ship without stepping off sounds glorious to us.

Enjoy your long cruise and stay onboard - have a great time!!!

I guess, for us, it depends on where the ports are. We have a little local cruise, 4 days has 3 port stops, San Diego, Catalina and Ensenada. Since it's a bit ambitious for a 4 night cruise, we always stay aboard the last day, in Ensenada. We have the ship virtually to ourselves and do not miss the port in the least.

If we are in a port and not on an excursion, we can hardly stand to stay in town for long. It's too crowded with other cruise pax and we don't much care for tourist shopping. We have gotten off for an hour, then gotten right back on for the day.

Archived