On Board Constellation Detailed Planning Questions

BOUQUET

Thanks in advance for any help on these trivial, but important to us items.

1. What brand of bottled water is served on board?

2. Are there any (plastic) bottled soft drinks available on board?

3. What are the balcony (not concierge class) cabin closets like (drawers, shelves, hanging areas, how many hangers)?

4. Does the air conditioning work well (we like it cold)? Does it work with the balcony door open (heard some ships have a switch on the edge of the door that keeps the A/C off when the door is open)?

5. At Bayonne, how long are the lines to get through security with carry-on bags (minutes, 1/2 hour)? Do they make you take off shoes and look through every bag like at the airport (we want to allow plenty of time but not get on the ship way before our cabin might be ready)?

6. Are formal nights on the non shore days (12 nights from Cape Liberty)?

7. What's available in the gift shop? Paperbacks, magazines, chocolate bars (Hersheys, etc. not fancy brands), toiletries, film, batteries, etc.? We know most ships have designer things, jewelry, clothes. We're wondering if we will be able to find the things we forgot to pack.

8. Is there room on the bus (from the check-in to the ship itself) for carry-ons in our laps or over head (we don't want our carry-ons thrown in a big baggage hold on the outside of the bus and fragile things smashed)?

9. Are the internet prices as advertised at $.50 a minute (best price) when you buy the largest "package"? Are there any better rates? Princess was less than advertised in the pre-boarding papers.

9. For room service, how long before you want the food do you need to order it? Was hot food hot, cold food cold? Any one try room service pizza? Was it good, hot? Are they mini pizzas or large ones to share if you want them?

Thanks for any and all help.

Boquet -

This could be as much fun as a trivia contest. Let me see what pops up in my memory bank.

1. Bottled water - In the rooms they have bottles of something in a blue bottle. I know they often sell Evian on shore excursion days. I seem to remember Pelagrino in Ocean Liner.

2. I don't recall ever seeing soft drinks in plast bottles. Generally they are shot from a gun in the bars.

3. CC class cabins are a combination of shelves drawers and hangers. I would estimate about a dozen hangers - If you need more just ask your cabin attendant for them.

Hope this helps.

4. Air Conditioning works very well. I generally find it to be on the very cold side and harder to get the room on the warmer side. The air conditioning runs regardless of the door being open. There is not a sensor on the door.

5. Boarding at Bayone is rather quick especially if you pre-print your boarding pass. 10 minutes - 20 minutes max. They have aiport type metal detectors - I have had to remove my jacket but never my shoes. I have never had my baggage gone through by hand and was not required to take out laptop like airports.

6. Formal nights are on the evenings of At Sea days. That way you have plenty of time to spend in the spa and beauty salons.

7. The shopping area is rather extensive. Everything you mentioned is available. They even have shampoo, shaving cream, and about anything else you might need. If they don't have it ask the cabin attendant and they will probably come up with it for you.

8. The shuttle from check in to the ship is about 1 mile and is an airport type shuttle - More standing area then sit down and plenty of space for your carryon. There is no uderbelly storage.

9. Internet charges - 50c / minute is cheapest see - http://www.celebrityatsea.com/index.aspx?value=6

If you only want to send e-mail there is a per e-mail charge with no charge per minute.

10. I have never used regular room service - we usually travel in suites and have the butler bring food when we want it. I have always received food piping hot. I have read complaints on the temperature of food from room service.

I don't have all the answers but will offer a few answers.

1. What brand of bottled water is served on board?

didn't use.

Not to my knowledge. But you can bring it aboard.

3. What are the balcony (not concierge class) cabin closets like (drawers, shelves, hanging areas, how many hangers)?

All the rooms, inside, outside, balcony and CC are the same closet wise. there are 2 hanging closets which are about 2 1/2 feet each. There will be a few hangers. Your steward can get you more, or you may want to bring some clothes on hangers in a garment bag. One closet (a 3rd one) has 4 drawers about 7" in height, 15" wide &15" deep. On top of the drawers is a big shelf. there is also a drawer or two in each of two night stands. there are shelves to the side of the "desk" in the room, also. there are shelves under the sink in the bathroom. There is a shelf above the mini bar/fridge, and above the hanging closet where the life vests are kept. There's lots of room. Suitcases can be put under the bed.

4. Does the air conditioning work well (we like it cold)? Does it work with the balcony door open (heard some ships have a switch on the edge of the door that keeps the A/C off when the door is open)?

The air on Summit worked well. Each cabin is individually controlled. It works with the balcony door open but our steward and the Celebrity Today asked that we not do so. It creates a great suction for the main cabin door (hard to open under those conditions). I do not know of a switch at the edge of the door. After we were asked, I always closed the balcony door.

5. At Bayonne, how long are the lines to get through security with carry-on bags (minutes, 1/2 hour)? Do they make you take off shoes and look through every bag like at the airport (we want to allow plenty of time but not get on the ship way before our cabin might be ready)?

Don't know about Bayonne, but at Ft Lauderdale and Seward we did not have to take our shoes off nor did they look in carry on bags. The bags are xrayed as they are at the airport, however. Security is not the time consumer it is at an airport. the time consumption is in waiting to get into the lines for getting your sea pass. If you board before the cabin is ready, go directly to the buffet or pool etc. they will tell you at what time the cabins will be ready for occupancy, usually 1 p.m. I understand.

6. Are formal nights on the non shore days (12 nights from Cape Liberty)?

Generally that's the way it is but on our Alaska cruise there was a port day that was formal! So you USUALLY have plenty of time to prepare but not always the same amount of time. One of those port days was over at 2 p.m.

7. What's available in the gift shop? Paperbacks, magazines, chocolate bars (Hersheys, etc. not fancy brands), toiletries, film, batteries, etc.? We know most ships have designer things, jewelry, clothes. We're wondering if we will be able to find the things we forgot to pack.

Not necessarily. Read these boards and you'll find they are not like a drug store or kmart.

8. Is there room on the bus (from the check-in to the ship itself) for carry-ons in our laps or over head (we don't want our carry-ons thrown in a big baggage hold on the outside of the bus and fragile things smashed)?

On a different bus to the ship, not to Bayonne, they encouraged us to put them under the bus but some people kept them on their laps or on the floor. there were no overhead bins like on a Trailways or Greyhound. Our trip was 3 hours from Anchorage to Seward, so it was more comfortable without the carry ons.

9. Are the internet prices as advertised at $.50 a minute (best price) when you buy the largest "package"? Are there any better rates? Princess was less than advertised in the pre-boarding papers.

don't know of any.

9. For room service, how long before you want the food do you need to order it? Was hot food hot, cold food cold? Any one try room service pizza? Was it good, hot? Are they mini pizzas or large ones to share if you want them?

if it is breakfast, you can put out an order form on your door knob the night before, but by 4 a.m. If you are using the tv channel "room service" or calling on the phone, you can either designate a time you'd like it, and it will be prompt, or if you are ordering when you are already hungry, it will depend upon whether you are ordering from the dining room menu during meal time, or just the short menu of soup/sandwiches/salads/cakes/cookies etc. It is faster if it is just the sandwich and not at dinner/lunch meal times when they are really busy and may already have pre-orders. For a pizza etc. it is fast, but unless it is a dinner from the dining room it will not be red hot.

i tried to submit this and twice got the message "your message is too short." So I probably didn't do it right inserting an answer inbetween your questions. now it may be long enough.

In addition to the hosed soft drinks at the bars there are cans for sale ($1.95) at the Hamburger, Hot Dog, Pizza grill.

Six drawers on bottom behind the closet door where the safe is located above a shelf. About 12-14 wooden hangers, some with pant clips.

The library has paperbacks and magazines. The cabin has soap, shampoo, q-tips, shower caps.

Room service breakfast can be ordered the night before. Fill out order form and give to steward or hang on outside of door, or order off inter-active TV menu or call room service. Specify time, i.e. between 6:30-7:00. They will call you to say it's on the way. Have your robe handy - it will be there in a minute or two. You can call room service in the morning if you wish.

During the day, it depends on how busy they are and what is ordered as to how long delivery time is. I ordered dinner one night and it came about an hour later. Never ordered during day other than breakfast.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks for all the help.

We feel better able to and organized for packing. We will bring some bottled soft drinks, hangers and our favorite toiletries.

Thanks again for taking the time to give the details we wanted.

Water - you can get evian, pelligrino and another kind of bottled water. But the water on the ship is actually very good and purified and filtered. Your room steward will keep a pitcher full, and the tap water is good too. We used to buy bottled water, but on our last cruise used the tap water and found it very nice.

I seem to be the only one who's observed something different, but when we were in a balcony cabin in 2003 on Connie our aircon switched off when the balcony door was open.

We ordered 1 pizza from room sevice, it was the size of a sauce!:D So if you are hungry order at least 2 per person. Never thought to ask if they would send a larger one like they make at the pizza bar.

Archived