Princess Grand Class Door Width & Scooter Question

cherylandtk

I've just convinced my friends to take their first cruise on Princess, and we have a question we hope the experts on this board can address. She uses a scooter to go long distances, but can walk shorter distances. She would really rather leave the HA cabins for those who need to use the ramps and roll-in access, but we are trying to find out the door width of the non-access standard staterooms on the Grand Princess. Anyone? (We will be calling Princess special services dept. for more information, too.)

The doors are 22 inches but isn't there a secret mini suite I think on the emerald deck on that ship that isn't marked as a handicap cabin but has a wider door and bigger bathroom? Call princess and ask them about door widths and they should be able to tell you.

Those rooms on the Emerald deck you are talking about do have the larger bathroom with rails and ramps for the balcony, but the room and bathroom doorways are standard size. This is why they had to reclassify them as standard cabins rather than HC cabins.

There are some scooters that can enter the standard size doorways. Does your friend have the scooter already (and if so, is the the larger one which requires the larger doorway) or is it possible if the friend is going to rent one, that she rent the one that will fit within the standard size doorway? If so, then if you got a minisuite or larger, there would be room for the scooter. I think it is tight in the balcony rooms or outside/inside rooms.

Also, there are some suites which have the larger doorway. Of course, I wouldn't get a suite just for this purpose, but if they happen to be getting a suite, then they should try to get one of those suites.

Anyway, just a couple of options to avoid having to get a HC room, which can be difficult to get if the cruise is within the few couple of months.

Archived