Entourage on the Dawn?

Stace894

Really looking forward to our Dawn cruise planned for the end of August. Can't wait to see her all decked out after her Drydock. I would like to get some reviews of the Teen Club Entourage on the Dawn from families who have traveled on her during the summer in the past. I know the Dawn is not one of these new "Super Ships" with the ropes courses and slides. They don't even have a large Movie Screen outside. My husband and I sailed on her last October and really enjoyed the trip but when we went to check out the Teen club, planning a family trip for this summer, it was totally empty and kind of depressing. As this was an October cruise I know that kids were all in school and summer will be different but just wanted some opinions of those who have traveled on her during the summer in the past with teens. He's cruised with Disney before, but too young for teen clubs and didn't like the kids club. Had a blast on Carnival and with the kid's he met in the teen club there. Hope the Dawn provides him with a great last hurrah for the summer before starting High School. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Teens don't generally USE the clubs...they will meet others of their age, and sort of "hang out" elsewhere. There is plenty to keep them busy, but most kids over 13 don't want to do "organized" activities.

Granted, my teen's experience was during Thanksgiving week (very crowded), but he had a blast. He's not an athletic kid, so he didn't participate in basketball and it seems like there was another sport. He did go for the air hockey, the movie nights, and a bunch of other stuff I don't remember. From what I remember, they weren't in the teen club much during the day. They were out and about with friends either at the pool, in the game room or doing other things.

Keep in mind that the staff moves around from ship to ship, and also come and go so the staff varies. Some of what the teens get out of it are due to the staff, but also what they themselves put into it.

That is the experience we had on our last cruise. He went the first night and met some people and then they just hung out together. Did a few of the organized activities like video game tournaments and a scavenger hunt. I pretty much only saw him when I told him we had "family time" planned and for meals.

No experience with Dawn, but we are just off the Pearl with our 2 sons 15 and 13. They initially did not want to sign up, but met some other kids that were part of entourage, so they signed up about half way through our cruise so they could participate in the activities. They ended up having a great time at the group events, and being bummed out that they didn't sign up sooner!

My daughter was 13 last year when we did the Boston to Bermuda in July on the Dawn. She went to the teen club every day. She was by herself on the trip, but she made friends with a ton of the other kids. They would hang out during the day at sea when the club wasn't happening. They enjoyed playing games and going to the shows together. At one point I had to tell her to come to bed because they were staying up late and I wanted to go to sleep! Every kid is different, but she definitely had a good time.

Teens don't generally USE the clubs...they will meet others of their age, and sort of "hang out" elsewhere. There is plenty to keep them busy, but most kids over 13 don't want to do "organized" activities.

Our experience has been the complete opposite. My boys, now 15 and 17 have had a blast in Entourage on our NCL sailings. They were in the club itself every night for at least a while and then did spend time with friends eating, in the pool etc. but they participated in a lot of activities by the Entourage staff.

We are considering a Dawn cruise in December and were wondering how the Dawns Entourage will compare to our last on the Getaway.

The "bedtime" thing worked ok for us on our last trip. With so many of the activities running until 12:30am or 1am, I told him that he needed to be back in the cabin within 20min of the club or activity ending. I would set my phone alarm for me to wake up when he should be home in case he missed curfew. I have to say, it never went off the whole trip. He made it home every night on time and with no issues. This was the first vacation where he had some real freedom and he handled it just fine. I think the IConcierge app will make this even easier for us this summer.

In regards to a December Trip, if you are going during a time when kids are off of school, then they should be fine. If your trying to do before vacations then there might be not much to do. As I said in an earlier post, my husband and I went in Late October and I think there were maybe 30 kids under the age of 17 on the entire trip and I think I saw maybe one other kid who would have been my sons age. Entourage seemed to be shut down.

Thank you for these posts as they are SO encouraging! We will be on the Dawn in August with our 14 and 16 year old sons. We SO hope they have a great time and are able to enjoy time with kids their ages. Sounds like we can put our fears to rest.