Ecstasy elegant night

davisbaby

It's a joke!! Wore my normal RCCL attire and and felt VERY out of place. Jeans, shorts, tank tops in the MDR. C'Mon man. If you take the time to publish rules please enforce them. If I had known that our suite experience would have been like a ride through a SC trailer park on Saturday night, we would have booked a room in Myrtle Beach. Darn it guys, this is a cruise, not a blooming block party!

It's a joke!! Wore my normal RCCL attire and and felt VERY out of place. Jeans, shorts, tank tops in the MDR. C'Mon man. If you take the time to publish rules please enforce them. If I had known that our suite experience would have been like a ride through a SC trailer park on Saturday night, we would have booked a room in Myrtle Beach. Darn it guys, this is a cruise, not a blooming block party!

Are you saying tank tops and cut-off jeans aren't appropriate? My wife was even going to shave her armpits! :rolleyes:

On regular dinner nights in the main dining rooms we saw a few people with cutoff jeans and basketball shorts, which I thought was pretty inappropriate, but hey, to each his own. I actually like dressing up and getting pretty. Elegant night was great-- it seems to me everyone that I saw participated in that and looked really nice.

I still wear a tux and will continue to do so. I will not mention anyone else's attire as long as they respect my choice. I wear a jacket and tie to dinner every other night also though.

Dress for the dinner you want, not the dinner you have!

• 2 weeks later...
I still wear a tux and will continue to do so. I will not mention anyone else's attire as long as they respect my choice. I wear a jacket and tie to dinner every other night also though.

Dress for the dinner you want, not the dinner you have!

Good for you! I was just debating if I had to spend the money on a growing teen for this one night. My husband, of course, owns everything he needs. Sounds like khakis, navy blazer, shirt/tie...will be okay for a teen?

Dress code isn't enforced at all. Khakis and a polo for guys is fine.

I beg to differ....on my last cruise, on elegant night, the gentleman in front of us came in wearing a polo shirt, jeans and shoes....he was asked to change....he didn't like it, but he left, I assume to change

Edited by First and Ten

same with us, a couple of guys came in wearing shorts and were asked to leave, their wives were so embarrassed.

its mind boggling, it really is....I get you may not want to dress up for dinner, there have been plenty of nights I feel that way....I go to the Lido deck to the buffet....I get a good meal and I am appropriately dressed, not a hard concept

Edited by First and Ten

I beg to differ....on my last cruise, on elegant night, the gentleman in front of us came in wearing a polo shirt, jeans and shoes....he was asked to change....he didn't like it, but he left, I assume to change

Jeans are allowed on elegant night, so why was he turned away?

Carnival-Victory-Funtimes-11.jpg

Edited by LMaxwell

Jeans are allowed on elegant night, so why was he turned away?

Carnival-Victory-Funtimes-11.jpg

Below is taken from the Carnival FAQ's when searching "dress codes"

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Edited by First and Ten

Below is taken from the Carnival FAQ's when searching "dress codes"

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

And the image posted was a scan of my funtimes that I sent to Gambee to post on his site. The Funtimes and the website do not match. On board the ship they do not say jeans are not allowed.

And the image posted was a scan of my funtimes that I sent to Gambee to post on his site. The Funtimes and the website do not match. On board the ship they do not say jeans are not allowed.

On the cruise I was on, he was turned away. Its ELEGANT night....common sense would dictate that jeans do not fall into the category of ELEGANT....Then again, to assume everyone has common sense is a reach on my part....my bad :rolleyes:

Edited by First and Ten

On the cruise I was on, he was turned away. Its ELEGANT night....common sense would dictate that jeans do not fall into the category of ELEGANT....Then again, to assume everyone has common sense is a reach on my part....my bad :rolleyes:

I'm only sharing what was actually posted on the ship I was on. Can you post what was on the ship you were on in the Funtimes?

Maybe from ship to ship they have some leeway in what they publish?

Here is one from this spring from the Ecstasy, matches the other two posted. The website matches none of them. Again, Jeans are allowed on elegant night.

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p624/VolzCruiser/Ecstasy%20Funtimes/ecstasy%20day%202_Page_2_zps5y1mbfos.jpg~original

Edited by LMaxwell

Okay, interesting find here. This is the new smaller Funtimes tri-fold version, on the cover it indicates elegant or casual, but on either there is NO description of casual or elegant dress codes. But on another page of this same one it says cruise casual night for the steakhouse...

IMG_3880.jpg

I'm only sharing what was actually posted on the ship I was on. Can you post what was on the ship you were on in the Funtimes?

Maybe from ship to ship they have some leeway in what they publish?

Maxwell, seriously....we going to debate this? I don't know you, but you seem like a reasonably intelligent person. You are going into the MDR on ELEGANT NIGHT....jeans or shorts, seriously? I am trying to come up with a scenario that this is acceptable. I guess if your luggage was lost, ok, in that case an exception can be made. Let's say you don't feel like getting dressed up, that's cool, you are on vacation....Go to the Lido deck and eat there. Why push the envelope and be difficult for the sole reason of being difficult?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

Maxwell, seriously....we going to debate this? I don't know you, but you seem like a reasonably intelligent person. You are going into the MDR on ELEGANT NIGHT....jeans or shorts, seriously? I am trying to come up with a scenario that this is acceptable. I guess if your luggage was lost, ok, in that case an exception can be made. Let's say you don't feel like getting dressed up, that's cool, you are on vacation....Go to the Lido deck and eat there. Why push the envelope and be difficult for the sole reason of being difficult?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

No, I usually wear some Khaki pants. But if Jeans are allowed I have no problem with people wearing them. It's fine by me. It is ALLOWED, so no one is pushing any envelopes.

And I don't do Lido dining for dinner. Just not interested. I try to go to the MDR as much as possible; breakfast/brunch/lunch/teatime when it is open. I enjoy the MDR. I am not bothered if people do things within the dress code. Heck, I'm not really bothered if they don't either. I do wear shorts on casual night, but not gym type shorts.

you're the one saying someone was turned away for wearing something that is WITHIN the dress code. I'm not buying it. There had to be some other reason. It's easy to find numerous ships this year that publish information different than the website, so I don't think any MD is going to cite the website over the Funtimes.

Edited by LMaxwell