Irons in your suitcase

it made me laugh on the recent cruise, irons were being confiscated, smokers are banished to certain areas of the ship....................and then the crew light a big fire and start BBQ on the pool deck.

Ah but that barbecue soon goes out because it always rains when they have a barbecue - guaranteed.:D

That old can of worm's live & let live.

Hi folks I am really sorry to butt in on the wrong thread but I saw that Pensioncruiser did an Croatian cruise on Thomson Celebration early this year and wondered if she would mind sharing her experience of the ports. We haven't been on a Thomson cruise for 20yrs so no idea what to expect of the ship but its the ports of call that made us book the Adriatic Affair so any pointers would be much appreciated as there isn't a roll call for this cruise here is my email address Ladyannmarquis@gmail.com so I don’t take up any more space on here.

BTW IMHO the no iron business is just stupid - what are we 5 yrs old!!!! We are doing a 23 day TA cruise later in the year on the NCL Jade there isn't any self service laundry facilities onboard and no irons allowed in your luggage but you can go to reception and ask for an iron to use in your cabin!!!! I have been advised to try spraying a lenor solution on the garment and using the hair drier as a source of heat - really much more hazardous than using the tool for the job I would say!

Sorry again.

My point is surely smoking on wooden decks is more likely to cause a fire than using an iron!

According to the London Fire brigade, and I quote " Fires caused by smoking materials - including cigarettes, roll-ups, cigars and pipe tobacco - result in more deaths than any other type of fire" Three fires a day in London alone were liked to smoking.

I cannot understand how smoking is allowed on ships anyway, it's not allowed on any other means of transport. Why do smokers, who are now a minority, expect to get special treatment? Lots of people with asthma and other chest complaints suffer very badly from other people's smoke. Personally I think it is a filthy habit and should be banned altogether, so put that in you pipe and smoke it :p:p

Hi folks I am really sorry to butt in on the wrong thread but I saw that Pensioncruiser did an Croatian cruise on Thomson Celebration early this year and wondered if she would mind sharing her experience of the ports. We haven't been on a Thomson cruise for 20yrs so no idea what to expect of the ship but its the ports of call that made us book the Adriatic Affair so any pointers would be much appreciated as there isn't a roll call for this cruise here is my email address Ladyannmarquis@gmail.com so I don’t take up any more space on here.

BTW IMHO the no iron business is just stupid - what are we 5 yrs old!!!! We are doing a 23 day TA cruise later in the year on the NCL Jade there isn't any self service laundry facilities onboard and no irons allowed in your luggage but you can go to reception and ask for an iron to use in your cabin!!!! I have been advised to try spraying a lenor solution on the garment and using the hair drier as a source of heat - really much more hazardous than using the tool for the job I would say!

Sorry again.

The ship is much older than 5 years old and the electrics are not built to handle the load of irons in additional to all the other electronic stuff we bring aboard. The irons handed out will have been checked and approved but the ones you bring aboard won't be. There are insurance issues here as well. You take an illegal iron aboard, leave it switched on and the resulting fire destroys the ship. You might not like the multi million pound bill you get and maybe your conscience will not be happy about all those people you killed.

People leave irons switched on at home, they will on ships as well. Fire aboard is worse than sinking :eek:

so your stuff is creased, so what, who cares.

The ship is much older than 5 years old and the electrics are not built to handle the load of irons in additional to all the other electronic stuff we bring aboard. The irons handed out will have been checked and approved but the ones you bring aboard won't be. There are insurance issues here as well. You take an illegal iron aboard, leave it switched on and the resulting fire destroys the ship. You might not like the multi million pound bill you get and maybe your conscience will not be happy about all those people you killed.

People leave irons switched on at home, they will on ships as well. Fire aboard is worse than sinking :eek:

so your stuff is creased, so what, who cares.

Guess I deserved that for sticking my nose in where it wasn't wanted. Personally I have been known to forget to switch my hair tongs off but never the iron. However, not to be flip I do get the safety issue point and I suppose as long as we are all in the same boat all wrinkled and creased nae body cares. So Happy Holidays All....

Guess I deserved that for sticking my nose in where it wasn't wanted. Personally I have been known to forget to switch my hair tongs off but never the iron. However, not to be flip I do get the safety issue point and I suppose as long as we are all in the same boat all wrinkled and creased nae body cares. So Happy Holidays All....

Not at all, everybody is entitled to state their opinion so please keep posting here.

I cannot understand how smoking is allowed on ships anyway, it's not allowed on any other means of transport. Why do smokers, who are now a minority, expect to get special treatment? Lots of people with asthma and other chest complaints suffer very badly from other people's smoke. Personally I think it is a filthy habit and should be banned altogether, so put that in you pipe and smoke it :p:p

Check out this news article: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/daughter-says-sick-dad-was-kicked-off-po-cruise-abandoned-after-ciggie-flick-20160617-gpljz2.html

Basically a man flicked a cigarette off a P&O ship and they kicked him off.

Check out this news article: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/daughter-says-sick-dad-was-kicked-off-po-cruise-abandoned-after-ciggie-flick-20160617-gpljz2.html

Basically a man flicked a cigarette off a P&O ship and they kicked him off.

Basically there is usually a lot more to these incidents than we will ever know and you can't rely on news reports as facts.

I remember the report of a man 'thrown off' a Thomson ship because of epilepsy. It turned out he had gone on holiday without his medication and had a seizure aboard. The onshore hospital could not determine which drugs he needed and their dosage in the time before the ship had to sail. They decided he could not continue the holiday because the onboard medical team could not guarantee to deal successfully with another fit, it was too dangerous for the patient. This was reported as 'being thrown off the ship'

Apparently the insurance would not pay because he had left his medication at home. We never could find out any subsequent details.

BTW IMHO the no iron business is just stupid - what are we 5 yrs old!!!!

With the greatest of respect - no, it most certainly is not a stupid prohibition, it's 100% justified.

We were in a hotel in Malta in 2010 when an unattended iron was left switched on in a laundry room and caused a fire resulting in the evacuation of everybody very late at night and an emergency call out for the local fire brigade and police etc.

No doubt the negligent individual was older than 5 years old as well.

A fire onboard a ship is a nightmare scenario.

With the greatest of respect - no, it most certainly is not a stupid prohibition, it's 100% justified.

We were in a hotel in Malta in 2010 when an unattended iron was left switched on in a laundry room and caused a fire resulting in the evacuation of everybody very late at night and an emergency call out for the local fire brigade and police etc.

No doubt the negligent individual was older than 5 years old as well.

A fire onboard a ship is a nightmare scenario.

Hi WCM

I have already conceded the the point and taken the safety issue on BOARD.

So hopefully you can find it in your heart to treat your fellow WCW with some compassion for her stupidity.

Fire on the ship or anywhere else for that matter is a very very serious business. :eek: