Some "Silly" Questions for Star "Vets"

molymoo

Apparently I have too much time on my hands ... the date is getting closer for our Viking Homelands cruise and I have some "silly" (ie: not really important ... just wondering!) questions for those who have sailed already with the lovely Star.

This is our second booking for this trip ... we were booked for last summer but some serious health issues prevented our travelling at that time so we had to cancel less than two months before our departure date. I spent a lot of time "trolling" the boards for general information and of course the communications from those on the maiden cruise so some of our information is coming from the past, and things do change ...

- We are booked in a PV stateroom. It was my understanding that (at least originally) the items in the "mini-bar" were replenished daily (or as needed) and they were complimentary at this stateroom level. Is this still the case? The descriptions in both the mailed brochures and the Viking website no longer specify this. Again this is not important ... we are not generally "mini-bar" people but sometimes you just NEED some gummy bears!

- Anybody peruse the shops on board the ship? Just curious as to what they might sell in these (there appear to be three ... ?). We have been on several of the river cruises and have enjoyed checking our the merchandise! It varies a lot from itinerary to itinerary and wonder what is available on the Star.

- Last year's cruise "chatter" included some issues with purchasing liquor in port and bringing it back to the ship. What are the rules regarding this, or do they vary from port to port? We generally don't do a lot of liquor purchasing when we travel but might want to buy a bottle of wine here or there for consumption on board.

Thanks to all for your indulgence ... obviously getting excited and actually starting the packing "process" already! I'm recently retired and still figuring out how to fill my days! :D

Apparently I have too much time on my hands ... the date is getting closer for our Viking Homelands cruise and I have some "silly" (ie: not really important ... just wondering!) questions for those who have sailed already with the lovely Star.

And what a better way to spend it than with your friends on Cruise Critic!?

This is our second booking for this trip ... we were booked for last summer but some serious health issues prevented our travelling at that time so we had to cancel less than two months before our departure date. I spent a lot of time "trolling" the boards for general information and of course the communications from those on the maiden cruise so some of our information is coming from the past, and things do change ...

:(

- We are booked in a PV stateroom. It was my understanding that (at least originally) the items in the "mini-bar" were replenished daily (or as needed) and they were complimentary at this stateroom level. Is this still the case? The descriptions in both the mailed brochures and the Viking website no longer specify this. Again this is not important ... we are not generally "mini-bar" people but sometimes you just NEED some gummy bears!

From what I have been reading here, not only do you get snacks and soft drinks in PV but also alcohol and yes, all replenished daily gratis. It also seems that if gummy-bears are all you want (and they offer them) that you may ask your room attendant to refill with only gummy bears--and the same for the alcohol and soft drinks that you prefer.

DH and I were talking about this yesterday; he was asking if we should bring peanuts to snack on and I explained about the mini-bar. "Okay, then, I guess we don't have to worry about trying to pack that." If peanuts aren't available on board, then we will shop for them in Edinburgh on Day 3 of our journey.

- Anybody peruse the shops on board the ship? Just curious as to what they might sell in these (there appear to be three ... ?). We have been on several of the river cruises and have enjoyed checking our the merchandise! It varies a lot from itinerary to itinerary and wonder what is available on the Star.

I'll try to remember to check it out. E-mail me and remind me. My Day 2 At-Sea project--besides a long nap to fix the jet-lag-- is to explore the ship top to bottom and take pictures lots of the things people have asked about.

- Last year's cruise "chatter" included some issues with purchasing liquor in port and bringing it back to the ship. What are the rules regarding this, or do they vary from port to port? We generally don't do a lot of liquor purchasing when we travel but might want to buy a bottle of wine here or there for consumption on board.

I don't know what you read about issues but Viking has no problem with guests buying alcohol on shore and bringing it on board for consumption. I don't know if it is limited to wine and beer and I don't know if those purchases may be consumed in the bars and lounges. At least on the river cruises, your purchases could be consumed in the dining room. I can't remember if they charge a corkage fee.

Thanks to all for your indulgence ... obviously getting excited and actually starting the packing "process" already! I'm recently retired and still figuring out how to fill my days! :D

Always the hardest part for me. DH has all of his stuff lined up already and I continue to dither (and watch the weather).

Save

Molymoo, we were on the Star at the beginning of the year and had a delightful time despite the weather not always being so cooperative! The ship is every bit as beautiful as you have seen in photos. The crew is so friendly and helpful. And the food...oh my my we have never eaten as well on a ship as we did on the Star. I had liver one night (yes, LIVER) and it was so delicious. I devoured my plate. The sushi is so fresh and tasty and it's fun watching the chef assemble it. But. To answer some of your questions--the shops? we walked by but never bothered to actually shop because they didn't seem so interesting to us. They're small, too, so when you do visit them it really won't take up much of your time. The only one I even remember is the jewelry shop and that's only because I like pretty baubles. ;) About the alcohol: if you buy a bottle or two of anything while in port, it's perfectly alright to bring it on board and enjoy it wherever you like. There's no corkage fee so if you want to drink your own wine during dinner, do so. If you want to sit anywhere on board with your drink, simply ask any bartender for the appropriate glasses and they'll happily oblige. You don't have to sit in your cabin and drink your wine, as you do on many other cruise lines.

Any other questions, ask away. The anticipation of a cruise is part of the fun!

I think you may have limited replies by asking only about the Star. From what I understand, the Sea is identical. I was on the Sea and can answer a couple questions from that angle: The shops had a variety of items. One shop had costume jewelry, cosmetics, small purses....typical cruise ship items. Another had all the items with the Viking name on them: jackets, shirts, etc. Also in that shop were local souvenirs. For instance, if you didn't find the wool sweater you wanted in Norway, they were for sale on the ship. Or if you forgot someone you should have bough a Russian nested doll set for, there are a few in the shop. Items are limited in number, however, so buy if when you see it if it's what you want. This shop also sold small jewelry-type Faberge eggs, some more valuable than others. Prices ranged from $28 to $300 or so. There was a third shop that sold the really good stuff. The only brand name jewelry I remember was Trollbeads. They were priced higher than ordering online. This third shop was where the expert on Russia who was on board and who lectured about Russia, Faberge, amber, Russian painted boxes and nested dolls, displayed the museum- quality items he had for sale. These items were expensive but many were sold along the way. The expert himself was often in the shop to talk to customers about the items and show you how to avoid buying fakes, etc. Very interesting. The items in all the shops change, I am sure, with the itinerary, but you get the idea. There was also a small shop selling toiletries, etc. that you might have forgotten to bring. The snacks in the cabin were replaced daily, but not in unlimited supply. Each day we had two candy bars and one bag of chips. If we ate them, more were left the next day, but a price list is supplied if you want to request more than the allotted amount. I don't know if they have peanuts. And about the alcohol, I was told that Viking does not mind if you bring yours onboard, but they request that you do not drink it in public areas. But, if you get a glass and pour in your cabin, no one can tell where you got it. I guess they discourage bringing an ice chest of your own beer to the pool. lol I recommend the Vana Tallin in Estonia. Best place to buy small plastic bottles is from the shops at the dock. I don't think you can get it in the US.

Edited by Lucky Granny

We made a purchase in the jewelry/watch shop on the Sea. DH's watch band broke, and we couldn't find anyplace to get it fixed, so he decided to buy a Tissot.

We didn't do well with the Duty Free items we bought. The watch was about $400 and the salesperson said the VAT taxes would revert to our account at midnight. Well, they didn't, and we didn't realize it until embarkation day. But they had given us the customs form, so we had that stamped at the Barcelona airport and mailed it.

He recently got an email saying no refund of VAT because the Passport and credit card did not match. The ship account was in my name, same last name.

Anyway, I wouldn't count on any VAT refunds. They make it pretty complicated. Nice shops though, fun to look.

Anyway, I wouldn't count on any VAT refunds. They make it pretty complicated. Nice shops though, fun to look.

Agree with that; most countries don't want you to get a refund. In the mean time, you've spent a lot of money and jumped through a lot of hoops. I don't even bother trying to get VAT back.

Didn't use the mini-bar snacks much, except an occasional soda. However, back in the fall, according to a form we received in the room, Deluxe Veranda mini-bars were stocked and replenished daily with chips, Twix and Mars bars. You could order more (i.e., above the one per day of each) for a $1 each. 2 each of Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite and Tonic Water cans were stocked and you could order more for $2 each. No alchohol was in the Deluxe Veranda mini-bars, but you could order setups for Smirnoff, Beafeater, Dewar's, Bacardi and Kronenbourg (beer, I assume!) for $4 each.

This may have changed since the fall, and/or occasionally other snacks or sodas are added to the minibar. This info is for Deluxe Verandas; assume people in suites got the alcohol for free each day.