NCL Epic Rome 28/9/16, shore excursions

Hi everyone

Other than a 2 night taster cruise, this is my first venture on the high seas. My first question and no doubt not my last is relating to shore excursions. It's very unlikely I will book any through NCL and wondered how easy it is to leave the ship and track down a private excursion and how much (ish) these tend to cost? Are they affordable for 2 people or is it advisable to get a few similar minded people together to keep costs down?

Destinations are Barcelona, Naples, Marseille, Cannes and Florence. Of these, which are the best and which are nothing special?

Thanks in advance for any tips you are able to give.

More questions likely to follow as time passes!

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

The best way to find like minded people to do excursions is to go to the roll call for your cruise. Have you discovered that yet?

As far as the excursions, my family is doing private excursions the week before to Rome, Pompeii, Florence, and Monte Carlo. As far as Marseilles, we are going on NCL's excursion to Les Baux de Provence. It is relatively cheap and the departure of the ship is so early (4pm) that we did not want to chance missing it. Many people will say to skip a trip in Marseilles but I'm very excited to see Les Baux.

Keep asking questions -- that's what we are all here for!

Mallory

Like Mal&Jason said check your Roll Call for your sailing to see if other folks are looking to fill up a tour group. Simply look for your ship/sailing date here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=110

Secondly, read through the Europe Ports of Call forums where you will find tons of useful information. Here is the link for that:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=110

Come back after that if you still have questions, especially specifically about the EPIC.

Welcome to the forum. EPIC is a fun ship.

Yes find your roll call. I can tell you from experience though, try the amalfi coastexcutsion through italytoursharing.com. It includes lunch positano and sorrento. My very favorite. I just got back ( in fact I'm not home yet) and I also really enjoyed Pisa Florence and Chianti with lunch through italytoursharing as well. We went to Marseilles too but just walked around. A lot of people recommend Barcelona day tours. Cannes I went to a couple years ago and also just walked. I would for sure do s tour in Naples.

We're on the Epic the week after you - leaving Barcelona 2nd October

I have written the following in the 'Roll Call' - hope it helps:

Excursions....

Last year did Florence/Pisa excursions. Florence is beautiful and a definite to visit. Pisa is worth an hour to take a picture of the Tower!

This year I will definitely be doing a trip to Rome (as this was not a port on last year's cruise).

NCL's own excursions seem overpriced. Best I have found independently is http://www.cruisingexcursions.com This website allows you to enter your ship/itinerary and then tells you all of the excursions that are available for every day of your trip.

They also do discounts for 'packages' - for example a package of Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Naples (Pompeii, Sorrento, Positano) and Marseille (Aix) - all three for £164

Rome tour - £64

We're considering Florence - just coach returns - £42 - and then use Hop on/Hop off bus (which is £18) and a good guidebook!

(UPDATE: - now booked this)

Thank you all for responding, very kind of you.

If all we wanted to do at any of the destinations was walk around the cities/towns, are they easily accessible on foot or taxi/bus from the port? To be honest we aren't going to be able to afford to take excursions at every stop but to just walk around and savour the local delights would be just fine.

We will need to select either 2 or 3 places to go on organised tours so of the itinerary mentioned, which would you select if you had limited funds?

Thanks again!

We're on the Epic the week after you - leaving Barcelona 2nd October

I have written the following in the 'Roll Call' - hope it helps:

Excursions....

Last year did Florence/Pisa excursions. Florence is beautiful and a definite to visit. Pisa is worth an hour to take a picture of the Tower!

This year I will definitely be doing a trip to Rome (as this was not a port on last year's cruise).

NCL's own excursions seem overpriced. Best I have found independently is http://www.cruisingexcursions.com This website allows you to enter your ship/itinerary and then tells you all of the excursions that are available for every day of your trip.

They also do discounts for 'packages' - for example a package of Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Naples (Pompeii, Sorrento, Positano) and Marseille (Aix) - all three for £164

Rome tour - £64

We're considering Florence - just coach returns - £42 - and then use Hop on/Hop off bus (which is £18) and a good guidebook!

(UPDATE: - now booked this)

Thanks for the cruisingexcursions link. Seems to be a very useful site

Thank you all for responding, very kind of you.

If all we wanted to do at any of the destinations was walk around the cities/towns, are they easily accessible on foot or taxi/bus from the port? To be honest we aren't going to be able to afford to take excursions at every stop but to just walk around and savour the local delights would be just fine.

We will need to select either 2 or 3 places to go on organised tours so of the itinerary mentioned, which would you select if you had limited funds?

Thanks again!

You need to research "getting to Rome from Civitavecchia" - there is load of advice on the internet. So that is an easy DIY day.

Naples is easy to DIY - to Capri/Sorrento/Pompeii

Cannes is an easy walk off - to stay in Cannes or get to the train and go to Nice or Monaco.

From Livorno you can take an easy shuttle to Pisa or a shuttle to the train station and take the train to Pisa - but probably would do better with an organised

As Marseilles is a shorter stop I think an organised tour is helpful - but we have spent a couple of cruise days there taking the shuttle into town and walking around the port and up to the church at the top of the hill.

My advice is to read reviews and decide what you want to get out of your trip.