Smoking?

Well, this is a Carnival Ship, and if you read most posts, the common thread is often times, it's my vacation, and I will do what I want. That's one of the many reasons, why Carnival is considered the WalMart of the Seas

Believe me, bad behaviour and rule breaking happens on any cruise line. Some people will always try to get around the rules.

On our last Princess cruise, on embarkation day I looked down over our balcony and see a guy 2 decks below smoking a cigarette, which is against the rules on Princess. Then I see him flicking his ashes down onto the top of the lifeboat below him. I have read stories about fire at sea, and seen the photos. I was extremely angry and got on the phone to the front desk right away. They said they would send someone up to investigate right away. So I assumed they had looked after it. But then a day or two later I see the same guy doing the same thing. I called the desk again and told them he was still at it. They must have done something because I never saw him do it again.

The differences we found between RC and CC were more favorable towards Carnival. The room was larger on Carnival, the entertainment better (less cheesy) and the food pretty much both the same.

We are on oasis right now. This is our first Royal Caribbean Cruise. And while we enjoyed it carnival is definitely home to us. The state rooms are tiny compared to Carnival. The food is inferior to Carnival. Don't get me wrong there are some things that Royal Caribbean does better than carnival but at the end of the day we prefer carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by KPfromCT

As far as the smoking goes.... On Wednesday we were in San Juan with the carnival magic and the Carnival glory. I must have seen at least five people smoking on their balconies while the ship was in Port.

It's happening on Royal Caribbean as well. I think it's almost impossible to enforce unless one of your neighbors turns you in.

Story in the Australian press yesterday about a man booted from his P and O cruise for throwing his cigarette overboard:

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/daughter-says-sick-dad-was-kicked-off-po-cruise-abandoned-after-ciggie-flick-20160617-gpljz2.html

So the daughter at one point says he flicked it and at another point says he "accidentally dropped it". Sheesh, at least keep your story straight while you're telling it. Then says he has "cancer and cholesterol problems" and yet he's smoking. Seems he was warned not to do it, did it, got caught, and was penalized in line with the warning. Harsh, but consistent.

Story in the Australian press yesterday about a man booted from his P and O cruise for throwing his cigarette overboard:

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/daughter-says-sick-dad-was-kicked-off-po-cruise-abandoned-after-ciggie-flick-20160617-gpljz2.html

As he should've been. And I'm a smoker. I would never flick one over the side. There is just too much of a chance that it's going to come back into the ship somewhere. Sad, but the rules do need to be enforced.

We were on RCI Freedom in January. There was a group below us who chose to smoke on their balcony the first day and did nothing to hide it. They were two decks below us, so I began taking pictures of them. Did the same that night after dark, when they saw the flash, they looked directly up at me, and I took several shots of their faces, with cigarrettes in hand. The next morning, when arriving in port, the lady directly below us confronted them, to which they replied some snide remarks. I was prepared to take the pictures to GS and report them, and had a picture of them flicking the still burning cigarette over the side. But alas, they either got caught, and decided it wasn't worth the consequences, or they were booted off, because the rest of the week not only did they not smoke, but were never seen on their balconies agian. I would hope they were booted, but can't say for sure. So go ahead and say Carnival is less superior, but I haven't seen this type of behavior on CCL yet, but if I do, they will be reported, with pictures in hand. :D:D

I didn't believe the guy either. He insisted. He said that the steward when and got his friend an ashtray. Someone asked what rumors, and just stating the specifics of one. Honestly, the idea really ticked me off if it were true. It's my understanding that fine was per occurrence and if it someone repeatedly violated they would be put off the ship. That idea that it actually happens gets a lot of laughs.

Sadly after the smoking ban inside the cabin my MIL and her roommate somehow threw enough of a fuss that they gave them an ashtray go smoke in an interior room. I wish it was not true but it is. It was an older ship but I felt bad for everyone around them that week.

This was many years ago went they went smoke free in the room but I would not be surprised that they did this especially if it was not that long after the ban.

I'm asking for my sister, who smokes. Can you smoke on your balcony? Were sailing on the Carnival Spirit in Feb next year. I know there is designated areas around the ship, but I keep getting conflicting stories about smoking on your balcony.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO smoking on balcony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!