??? re Uber

sharkaymon

More and more often I see references to UBER. I looked it up. Good information, but I need some real time stories here.

Have you used UBER? Do you think it is better than a taxi?

We will be staying one night in Seattle pre-cruise and three nights post cruise and i was wondering if UBER would be a good choice for getting us from our hotel, Embassy Suites near the airport, to the attractions in downtown. It is 13 miles from hotel to the pier. We are a group of 5 with the average amount of luggage for an eight day cruise.

We will be getting the shuttle to and from the airport. Everything else will require public transportation or taxis or maybe now UBER.

I've used it several times alone and with others and I think it's great. The cars are clean and comfortable and the price is lower than a cab. You'll need two uberx or maybe get by with one xl. I am using it everywhere I can instead of a taxi now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uber won't necessarily be a cheaper option if you have a lot of people and a lot of luggage. When we were traveling with 4 adults and our luggage from our hotel to the port in Texas, my Uber-savvy daughter priced things out and said getting a taxi would be the cheaper option because the taxi company would send a van for the same price as a sedan. With Uber, we would have had to pay a premium for Uber XL.

The cars, drivers, and entire experience are much better than taxis, not to mention the ease of using the app.

However, please be aware that around rush hour and other busy times the rates can go up to double the normal price.

My DIL works for the federal reserve bank and travels to Wash DC frequently with other people. Since my DH is an UBER driver in St Louis she decided to try UBER one time. No more taxis for her. They will no longer use taxis in Wash DC. You might have to wait 1-2 hrs for a taxi whereas an UBER ride will come very quickly. You will actually know approx how long it will take the UBER driver to get to you. Also with UBER you don't pay in cash. Your account is tied to a bank account so when the ride is over your account is debited.

We (3 adults) used Uber for the first time in May. We were staying at Disney's All Star Music Resort. We needed a ride to Universal Studios. A taxi would have been at least $50 each way (I looked up the rate online).

Since this was our first time using Uber, the ride to US was free. The ride back was $15!!!!! Both times the driver was nearby and was very friendly (woman first time, man second). The woman had a full time job, but drives on her days off. Man also had full time job and drove at night.

Both cars were very clean and the drivers very personable. I would recommend using Uber. The app is a bit confusing .... to me anyway.

You may use my promo code for your first ride, if you wish (anyone can use it for their first time. I will get credit for anyone that uses it).

pauls2361ue

Questions?

LOVE Uber. Tried it for the first time in February in Miami. No more taxis for me. Much less expensive, nice, friendly drivers and since I travel alone often, I like the fact that I am being GPS tracked and the company knows who picked me up and where I am. I feel safer that way. Get in a taxi and there's no record whatsoever on who has me or where I was. Sure things can happen with Uber, but I prefer it a million times over a taxi. Oh and the fact that I don't need to pay them anything as its all done electronically through my account is wonderful!

I actually use the competitor of Uber called "LYFT". I have found them to be quick, courteous, and far less expensive than a taxi.

I like the fact that everything is handled though the app, including the tip.

There have been too many times that I have been in a cab and the driver claimed the credit card machine was "Broke". This problem has been eliminated.

I have been in too many dirt, smelly, hot and nasty cabs. It is nice to be in a clean car with someone who seems to care.

The beauty of Uber is that you don't need to carry money around, it's linked to your account. However, I personally like to give a couple of bucks (usually $2-5, depending on their helpfulness and length of trip) to the driver. I find that drivers are really courteous and helpful, whereas more times than not I feel like taxi drivers have that "hurry up, I don't have all day" attitude, as if they're doing me a favor for free.

It's obviously not required but I know it's greatly appreciated because every Uber driver I've given a tip to gets the biggest smile and expresses extreme gratitude (I once gave a taxi driver 10% tip when I really should have given 0% because I felt like I was going to die with his driving. He actually had the nerve to confront me about giving him a low tip. You know, that non-required thing). I'm getting such a good deal on pricing when compared to other modes of transportation plus I'm getting door to door service at my beck and call that I don't feel the small amount of extra money is much.

Well I guess it kind of does, Carnival people probably use Uber they provide transportation and Carnival passengers need modes of transportation so the two go hand in hand

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Uber? what does Uber have to do with posting on the Carnival board? Nothing.

The OP is cruising on the Carnival Legend. That is why.

The thread has since been moved to West Coast Departures.

That could end up an expensive Uber ride. There is a light rail line that travels from the airport to downtown. It's called Link Light Rail.

We have used Uber and have been very happy. I would think twice before using a taxi when we could Uber.

I recently had difficulty using Uber in Copenhagen. I have a Spanish SIM to get internet on my iPhone. No problem requesting a car, but when the driver couldn't find me I tried to contact him. For whatever reason, Uber does not use in-app messaging, like Airbnb does, it uses texting, which my Spanish plan doesn't support. So I think I am messaging the driver, but he isn't getting them, and can't contact me.

I tried again and got a different ride. Uber reversed the no show penalty.

Twice I got hit with surge pricing. One was 1.3x and one was 1.5x. Not sure I saved any money, but I am more comfortable using Uber than a random taxi.