What happens now .... scheduled Cozumel stops?

Pam713

What will RCCI do now about ships with future scheduled stops in Cozumel and Cancun? By the first reports coming in (albeit early and few), Cozumel is quite badly damaged with projected "weeks until power is restored".

Will they stop there anyway so we can all walk around and gawk at how bad the damage is? Make it an at-sea day? Schedule another port of call instead?

I'm finding nothing on RC's site except with regard to ships currently at sea and those departing tomorrow and Monday.

Has anyone had experience with such severe damage to a port of call?

From what I can tell, right now they are skipping the port with additional sea day but that is always subject to change. They could do anything from changing the port to another one to adding an extra day at sea. I can bet right now there are no definate decisions and it will probably be a week by week decision or something like that. Not the first time a port has been damaged and they had to make changes, and it wont be the last. Just part of choosing to sail in the Caribbean were hurricanes are going to happen.

What will RCCI do now about ships with future scheduled stops in Cozumel and Cancun? By the first reports coming in (albeit early and few), Cozumel is quite badly damaged with projected "weeks until power is restored".

Will they stop there anyway so we can all walk around and gawk at how bad the damage is? Make it an at-sea day? Schedule another port of call instead?

I'm finding nothing on RC's site except with regard to ships currently at sea and those departing tomorrow and Monday.

Has anyone had experience with such severe damage to a port of call?

There is no way for them to make any decisions at this time for most of the future cruises yet.They wouldn't even be able to have any kind of comprehensive report on the damage yet.There will be many ships to reschedule not just RCCL so finding another port of call with rooms for all the ships won't be that easy.Stopping there anyway and letting people gawk would interfere would interfere with the clean up and rebuilding efforts.

Last year we skipped Grand Cayman. We were sailing after the hurricane damaged the island and they weren't yet able to admit as many cruiseships as they would on a good day with perfect weather. We got an extra sea day. Having heard reports from some of the first cruisers to return to the damaged areas, I'm not so sure I'd want to be there when services were not in place and the damage so highly visible.

On the other hand, places like Cozumel thrive on the tourist industry. We can only hope that they receive the help they need to make a swift recovery after what looks like major destruction by Wilma.

I'm not one to react prematurely, but I certainly hope that RCCL can come up with something better than another "At Sea" day for the Grandeur 9 day sailing. The schedule calls for leaving Key West at 2PM on Tuesday, stopping at Cozumel on Wednesday, then Port Canaveral on Friday.

If they just drop Cozumel, that would put us "at sea" from Tuesday afternoon until Friday morning! Even the most hearty "at sea" lovers would start to get itchy there!

If they can't do Cozumel, I would rather they just punt Key West, and switch to an Eastern itinerary.

JMHO, your mileage may vary.

Theron

I wouldn't mind going to Cozy and even help with a broom or hammer. I might not get a relaxing port but it would help them.

Yep, me too, I LOVE Cozumel, supposed to be there on 11/5 (and obviously know that's not likely) but HONESTLY...my concern is not for my port stop, but for the the people there, and the loss of life and property they are enduring. :(

I think it's too soon to wonder where else any cruise line will go, other than Cozumel. The answer will no doubt become apparent in the next few days, once the full extent of the damage can be apprised.

I am only going to say her first name for security but Dorothy posted a web link ABOVE this that contained her login info. When clicked it will log people in under her profile.

someone might want to delete or EDIT this post for the generic tropical updates link like this:!

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentPage.do;jsessionid=0000e7h1XU1JRCrtPrU4_ASJ5U8:10ktmeta1?pagename=important_updates

thanks for the good thoughts and the link. The danger was that you were logged in when you cut/pasted it into your post. You should have done it AFTER you logged out so a more generic web site.

I told my browser I was not Dorothy xxxx.

Just as a side note...my wife/kids/I watched the Jewel debark Boston yesterday after we went to the New England Aquarium...it was super. There was a TA on the street that said she toured it and it was one of the most beautiful ships she has seen and that it was very big. My wife and I will sail for the first time with RCI on the Jewel in Dec.

thanks

Jay

If any of those ports are closed, I'm sure RCCL will look at it as a ship by ship basis depending on the itinerary they already have. My guess is they will find other ports to stop at like Key West, Costa Maya, or Georgetown. I'm hoping they get the dolphin excursion at Cozumel running by January.

One of the problems with selecting an alternative port at the last minute is available pier space. Many ports have limited pier space, and the ships that have already been scheduled for that port stop will be given first preference. Key West has very limited pier space. I've only seen two ships there at one time. Grand Cayman is a tender port, so ships can anchor out (I was on a HAL cruise once, and there were 13 ships there that day). The taxis and tendering were a nightmare, though! It's not as if the Captain/cruise line can just determine where a ship will go by making an instant decision to please passengers. It becomes a logistical situation in terms of pier availability, time getting to a new port, time in port, available tender piers, shore excursions, etc. I was on the 9-17 Caribbean Princess, which was originally scheduled to do an Eastern itinerary. Due to Rita, we were diverted to a Western itinerary, and really lucked out! We didn't get to Grand Cayman until noon, though, and stayed until 6 p.m. Since passengers with shore excursions tendered first, it wasn't until about 1:30 in the afternoon that general tendering became available, so many of us opted to just stay on the ship. There's more involved in the "Why can't we just go here? Or, why can't we just go there?" scenario.

First off...my thoughts and prayers are definitely with all those affected by Wilma...too much devastation this year.

We are scheduled on a West itinerary for January, with Cozumel being one of our 4 stops. For me personally, I would love an extra sea day because of our current intensive schedule...4 days in row at port. I was originally scheduled on Grandeur out of NO, which we picked because it had 3 stops and is the only 7 night one we could find with only 3 stops. We switched to Legend out of Tampa after the changes to Grandeur, this ship having 4 stops.

Whatever decision is made...I'll just be happy to be cruising and away from 0 degree weather and snow:)

We are on the 11/27 sailing of Rhapsody. From early word, it doesn't appear Cozumel will be ready for us. I'd rather have a replacement port - perhaps Costa Maya. But I imagine RCCL will be juggling as quick as they can to get decisions made and ports lined up.

I wish a speedy recovery to Cozumel/Cancun and all those affected by Wilma.

Poor Cozumel!! I'm not upset we won't be going there. I just hope they can get everything back up as soon as they can since tourism is a huge part of their income. Luckily they did not suffer a huge loss of life.

I don't even see how our 9 day leaving Baltimore this Friday will go to Key West. All the photos I've seen show lots of flooding there right now, and the power is out. Seems optimistic to get everything back up and running in 5-7 days. Even if they do - will they really want to see a cruise ship roll in? I know there's lots of pier juggling involved but I'm still hoping we somehow end up going to the Eastern Caribbean. Don't know what the odds of that are...

Anyone seen any info on Cococay yet - did they suffer much damage?

Although this is about number twenty on the cruise count I can only remember missing one port (Caymen twice) and other than getting a free drink or two there was no compensation...my cruise next week has the potential of not making any schedualed ports due to weather....Key West, Cayman and Cozumel...if this is true do you think RCL should compensate in any way...just your thoughts...not sure how I feel on the subject as intially I would say no...but when I look at possible substitutes it sort of dismal...just give me sea days and warm weather and I will be fine.

We are scheduled on Splendour out of Galveston 1-30 on a 5 night with 2 stops- Cozumel and Costa Maya. Would be a real bummer if we were not able to dock in Cozumel as that was really the highlight of the cruise for us. I have been watching RCI'S website for price drops for quite a while now and the ship has been full for quite a while...until Cozumel was hit. Now, I see cabins available in all categories at decent prices. We paid 370 for an inside, then they went up to 440 before filling up. Now, an inside is available for 400. We are getting close to our 90 day final payoff, WHAT TO DO!!!!! Does anyone have any idea whether or not Cozumel would be "doable" by Jan. 30th???? Do they typically move pretty quickly on clean up, pier repairs?? Would appreciate any advice!!

We are scheduled on a West itinerary for January, with Cozumel being one of our 4 stops. For me personally, I would love an extra sea day because of our current intensive schedule...4 days in row at port. I was originally scheduled on Grandeur out of NO, which we picked because it had 3 stops and is the only 7 night one we could find with only 3 stops. We switched to Legend out of Tampa after the changes to Grandeur, this ship having 4 stops.

Whatever decision is made...I'll just be happy to be cruising and away from 0 degree weather and snow:)

Yep...me too. We're on the Jan 14th sailing. Same thing, I felt 4 days of excursions/ports was tooooo much. But certainly wouldn't have wished it this way.

Thoughts and prayers to all those affected by Mother Nature lately.

A...

We are scheduled on Splendour out of Galveston 1-30 on a 5 night with 2 stops- Cozumel and Costa Maya. Would be a real bummer if we were not able to dock in Cozumel as that was really the highlight of the cruise for us. I have been watching RCI'S website for price drops for quite a while now and the ship has been full for quite a while...until Cozumel was hit. Now, I see cabins available in all categories at decent prices. We paid 370 for an inside, then they went up to 440 before filling up. Now, an inside is available for 400. We are getting close to our 90 day final payoff, WHAT TO DO!!!!! Does anyone have any idea whether or not Cozumel would be "doable" by Jan. 30th???? Do they typically move pretty quickly on clean up, pier repairs?? Would appreciate any advice!!

I'm in a similar situation to you, except that we are well past final payment for our 5-night Rhapsody cruise to Costa Maya and Cozumel on Dec.18th. We've decided to continue to look forward to the cruise no matter where we go and if we don't like whatever option they give us, we just stay on ship and enjoy the ship. We figure it is a win-win situation for us. We either go to a port we like or we get to spend an extra day relaxing on the ship, which was the purpose of the cruise.

Yep...me too. We're on the Jan 14th sailing. Same thing, I felt 4 days of excursions/ports was tooooo much.

OK, this is not a flame but I just have to ask....

If you feel like 4 days of excursions/ports are tooooo much, why did you book this particular cruise? It isn't like they tried to hide the itinerary from you??:confused:My family is going on this particular itinerary because we like lots of ports. Each to their own :)

btw... we are leaving in 25 days so I guess Cozumel is right out for us too. I'm anxiously awaiting some news of possible alternatives.

OK, this is not a flame but I just have to ask....

I think they were saying this...

Whatever decision is made...I'll just be happy to be cruising and away from 0 degree weather and snow

I have to think that the people and government of Mexico will have the ports back up to speed in short order, although I suspect the resorts will be much more of a challange.

We would trade Cozumel for Belize simply because we have been to Cozumel so many times already...that said, we are scheduled to be in Cozumel around Xmas.

Let's just keep in mind that the folks who live in the area. This has been a bad storm season for sure.

Archived