What happens now .... scheduled Cozumel stops?

Pam713

My heart goes out to all affected...

We are to sail on the Jewel on the 13th, leaving from Fort Lauderdale. Definitely on pins & needles waiting to see what will come of all of this. The news tonight showed FLL with reports that it hasn't seen damage like this in over 50 years...Key West looks WET, but when I checked the webcam this morning Duval was flooded...this afternoon it was puddles. (Fantasy Fest still starts tomorrow, delayed by a few days) Nothing much to be heard on Grand Cayman, and hearing that Costa Maya was unscathed...Cozumel is another story all together...the pier(s) are in shambles, and the island itself devastated. :(

I'm laying low right now on calling the TA or the cruiseline since we're still over 2 weeks out...they must be "swamped" with others cruising this week and the next 2, so I'll wait til we're closer in or we hear from them. I'm sure there are lots of logistics decisions to be made prior.

Constantly repeating my signature..."A bad day of vacation is still....." and LOTS of serenity prayers.....

If anyone DOES decide to call C&A or RCI about their trip(s), go easy on them and just think of the sheer volume of others that are calling with the same questions!!! ;)

Even if the piers are repaired by 1-30-06, will the infrastructure of Cozumel be able to support the cruise ships scheduled to be there?? I really hope so, but seriously doubt it. I read in the Cozumel board that the beaches are destroyed, no sand remaining, and the beach clubs are wiped out. Sounds like a few restaurants/shops inland will be up and running, but if they are the only businesses functioning they will be overrun and probably not very fun. I am really bummed and feel for the Mexicans in that area that have just finished cleaning up from the last hurricane.

How does RCI handle a cruise cancellation if you have not made your final payment?

How does RCI handle a cruise cancellation if you have not made your final payment?

You can cancel without penalty up until the time final payment is made.

I'm not sure what itinerary you are sailing, but I hope you wait to see what alternate itinerary will be offered before deciding whether or not to cancel. I love Cozumel too, and I have full faith that they will rebuild and be fully functional sometime in the future...it may take many months or even a year, but it is an economy dependent on TOURISM and I know they will do all they can to have tourists back there as soon as possible.

Well today was my last day to cancel for my sailing on the Enchantment (1-2-06) and we were supposed to stop in Cozumel and Key West. We'll just have to wait and see. I didn't have my heart set on any certain itinerary, so any change will probably be all right with me. I am more worried bout the people in affected areas.

Well today was my last day to cancel for my sailing on the Enchantment (1-2-06) and we were supposed to stop in Cozumel and Key West. We'll just have to wait and see. I didn't have my heart set on any certain itinerary, so any change will probably be all right with me. I am more worried bout the people in affected areas.

marion10.........Thank you for your thoughts about the people, both tourists and natives, I hope. We have 5 weeks scheduled in our condo in Cancun, and we have no idea of what condition it's in right now. My DW and I are more concerned about the people down there that have taken such good care of us.

Cozumel will come back stronger and better than before. I have watched Cozumel grow since 1982, and the "old days" were great, but the new days will even be better. Cozumel is one of the best diving spots in the world. They have dolphen shows, that will not stop.. If the cruise ship docks are gone, they will rebuild them! The white sand will come back. This is "Gods land".

Rick

To pajara2 and All - Good to know I'm not the only one who enjoys sea time:) I definitely agree that this was not how I want to reduce my port days. We will be on the ship the week after you, leaving 1/21 from Tampa.

I doubt we will cancel since we have a 7 night with 3 other stops, being Cayman, Costa Maya and Belize. It would be great if Cozumel is back and running by then, but from what I've seen...I'll have my concerns.

Right now, we're just waiting to see what happens since our final payment isn't due till Mid November. After the situation with NO and the waiting to see what would happen then, I'll just be happy to be cruising and in warm weather...don't really care where we end up as long as there is no snow;)

I hope that all affected are doing alright and that those who are cruising in the next few weeks, will still be able to enjoy their cruising even if it means alternate locations.

Thoughts and prayers:)

Jen

I see the Enchantment cruise for this week is cancelled. I know the passengers will get a refund, but are they out of luck without travel insurance for their airfare if they didn't purchase through the cruise line?

I'm on Enchantment 12/15. If they announce an itinerary that I don't care for, would they allow me to transfer my funds to a different cruise? For example, if they made it a Bahamas cruise instead, I would not be pleased.

I see the Enchantment cruise for this week is cancelled. I know the passengers will get a refund, but are they out of luck without travel insurance for their airfare if they didn't purchase through the cruise line?

I'm on Enchantment 12/15. If they announce an itinerary that I don't care for, would they allow me to transfer my funds to a different cruise? For example, if they made it a Bahamas cruise instead, I would not be pleased.

I can't see that happening. My wife and I are booked on the cruise 10 days before you (12/5), a four-nighter to Key West, Cozumel, and Belize. If you have a multiple-port cruise (and I'd be willing to bet that Key West will be fine by then, and Belize escaped) I'm assuming that if Cozumel isn't ready for ships then we'll either get another "at sea" day or stop somewhere else, with minimal compensation. (Aside from, I'm assuming, my shore excursion money back... we were all set for the Atlantis Submersible.)

Just spoke with RCI and on a five night cruise you do not make final payment until 60 days before departure, so have some time to see what they will do with the itinerary and then decide. She said that if Cozumel is not an option that they frequently substitute Grand Cayman or Jamiaca. That would be fine, just don't really want another sea day on a 5 night cruise with only one stop (Costa Maya). Poor Cozumel!!! I am also watching for price reductions because this ship had been full for quite a while until Cozumel was hit, now there are plenty of cabins available!

Thanks to those who clarified my answer and to OP, I wouldn't have been offended. You asked a reasonable question in a respectful manner. Just FYI, this is the only week that DP has approved for vacation so the time couldn't change. We are driving so already driving to Tampa instead of N'awlins is going to be an inconvenience, driving to Galveston or Miami would have been imposible. I wanted a 7 night cruise...:o and quite frankly when I called the TA I was freaking out because my cruise was all changed on RCCL. So when he offered the Legend I honestly had no idea where it was going. LOL I'm just ready to be on a ship anywhere.

So no insult taken, as none was intended.

A...

Look at the daily updates on the boards.One shipis already talking about Cozumel on Friday if posssible. Tourism is important for Mexico. Cancun said on the news tonight that Dec will be the latest. I am sure Coz is the same. They won't loose all that money!

Archived