(An almost) Standing Ovation - Dubai to Singapore (review)

We are also going on the Xmas cruise departing Sydney around New Zealand.

Really enjoying reading your cruise experiences on the Ovation and the useful tips re dining and the shows.

Looking forward to reading more.

Edited by Fortunatefew

We are also going on the Xmas cruise departing Sydney around New Zealand.

Really enjoying reading your cruise experiences on the Ovation and the useful tips re dining and the shows.

Looking forward to reading more.

Glad you are enjoying. No doubt you are counting down to your cruise!

Daytime activities

We had lots of sea days and having only previously been on Enchantment, I was worried about all the sunbeds being taken or lack of things to do during the day on our many sea days. The worry was mis-placed.

While the sun beds right beside the outdoor pool were always full, there was plenty of Beds in the sun on deck 15 and lots in the shade elsewhere. The solarium was always busy but we always managed to get a spot. The indoor pool similarly always had a spot. I really enjoyed the spots beside the floor to ceiling windows for looking out to sea and napping! There was waitor service. I had a few days where I'd partake in some afternoon beverages! I like the frozen daquerries and the frozen mojitos!

One thing that annoyed me about solarium was a group from a country that are known for their chair hogging. They took 8 beds for 8 of them in the sun in the solarium. So far, no problem! However they also took 4-8 beds in the shade behind their other ones in the sun. RUDE RUDE RUDE. They would use towels and beach bags etc to hold their second spot. I found it annoying and moved as I dont need negative energy on a cruise!

Poolwise they had pool volleyball etc but as I like the shade and peace and quiet I didnt partake.

There were activities all day in the seaplex - rollerskating, bumper cars, soccer, basketball, etc. These are all done in same space so you have to check the compass to see when you can rollerskate etc. They also used the space to teach ballroom dancing.

The sports deck had lots for the active types. There is the usual rock clumbing wall and flow rider. New to Quantum class is the i-Fly. I did it on the second last day. You should book but I managed to get in as a walk in. You need runners / trainers or socks. It was great fun, although I was terrible at it managing to flip over a few times!

Also during the day there is the lots of trivia and meet and greets with CD, etc. To summerise the daytime activities I can say I was never bored and there were options for those who wanted lively avtivities and those who preferred it nice and quiet.

Next up - drinks package, bars and night time entertainment

Drinks Package

We had the Select drinks package from our travel agent. You get beer and wine by the glass up to $8. You also get the coca cola cup for the freestyle machine. As my wife likes frozen cocktails ($11) and prosecco ($11) and I like the odd cocktail and am partial to a Bombay G&T we upgraded to the Premium Package just after we boarded. I dont remember the difference in price between Select and Premium being so much last year, but we went for it. Im not sure I got value for money as I drank beer more often than not but we did take a shining to the Kim Crawford Sauv Blanc at $12 per glass. The PP covers all drinks up to $12 and worked well for us.

Entertainment

I felt RC really pulled out all the stops for us to keep us entertained. There is something for everyone. One night we went to watch a 'virtual' show of the American Symphonic Orchesta in Two70. With the definition on screen and quality of sound it was really enjoyable, especially the John Williams medley!

There was so much put in course of two weeks - comedians, shows, guest entertainers. We didnt see Love and Marriage (watched on Stateroom tv) or Live Love Legs, but we did see Spectre. Im not a big fan of 'shows' but it actually blew me away. Singing, dancing and production in Two70 were to such a high standard.

One of the highlights of the cruise for me was The Bohemiens - a Queen tribute. They boarded in Dubai and played two shows in Music Hall and one in Two70. To say they are amazing wouldn't do them justice. Vocally, musically had it nailed. They were also really nice blokes to boot as we had a few beers with them after the shows. They disembarked in Cochin and a Beatles tribute came on board.

Their first show in Royal Theatre was enjoyable but, being a massive Beatles fan, I didnt think they quite had it down.

To give you an example of how much variety there was on any given night I was walking from where Royal Theatre is and there was a show on in there..coming round I could hear the piano singer up in Schooner, House Band (Rock the Boat) in Music Hall before walking into Michael's Pub where Stephen the guitarist / singer was on.

Steve is a fantastic entertainer who uses a loop pedal to great effect and takes requests from the floor. He had people coming back night after night. We were also privilaged to see Renee (sax player from Spectre) join him one night playing sax "lead" solos! Another night Spectre himself was in and got up to sing Stairway to Heaven. One of the two lead females from Spectre also got up with Steve to sing Proud Mary. Steve is on Indy from next week - check him out! Michael's Pub was my favourite spot for a beer, especially when Steve was on.

Bottom line, something for everyone, although not sure if similar approach will be taken in China...

Next up - my fellow pasdengers and my final verdict...

RE: Getting an INDIAN visa ~~~~Its an absolute nightmare, and it was the WORST part of getting ready for an otherwise wonderful 61 days recently spent on the Queen Elizabeth from Hong Kong to Southhampton.

I know this is a RC board/ but getting the visa as REQUIRED by India is the same--- no matter which ship/line you choose.

Using VISA CENTRAL, as was recommended by the cruise line----

results in HIGH costs & delays as the rules of what they want, changes.

The billing by VISA CENTRAL is padded with incorrect charges, which they do refund quickly when you call them on their "clerical" errors.

If you use VISA CENTRAL, as I had to do, as no INDIA consulate is within normal travel distance, for me ~~~~~~ Buyer Beware.

YouTube video of chair hogging on this cruise.

Shoes are provided for Ifly and Rock Climbing if you are not wearing any. :)

I would've ended up in that kind of conversation if I hadn't left the 'hoggers' and moved somewhere else. I blame two things- the first is the a-holes who think leaving a towel and bag on a chair for 4 hours is ok, but secondly the RC crew who should police it.

They do give you shoes for i-Fly but only if wearing socks so rocking up in your flip flops will have you disappointed!

Ok, first I hope they didn't really throw someone's bag in the ocean, that's just beyond the pale. Second, I mean really is claiming a chair that important. While it's not okay to "hog" the chairs, folks just need to calm down and relax. You are on vacation drama is stressful lol. Just find a new area or if there isn't one at all maybe talk to a rci employee to help you. Better than wasting an hour arguing with folks that probably don't care in the first place and will only make you more angry. SMH...[emoji41][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Tom, I enjoyed reading your review and thanks. Also thanks for bringing back the wonderful memories we had on this cruise from Dubai to Singapore. We are looking forward cruising on the Ovation OTS again. :)

On the side note for the shows. Even though you have made reservation, it would be advisable to be there at least half hour earlier for better seats without blockages. :)

Ok, first I hope they didn't really throw someone's bag in the ocean, that's just beyond the pale. Second, I mean really is claiming a chair that important. While it's not okay to "hog" the chairs, folks just need to calm down and relax. You are on vacation drama is stressful lol. Just find a new area or if there isn't one at all maybe talk to a rci employee to help you. Better than wasting an hour arguing with folks that probably don't care in the first place and will only make you more angry. SMH...[emoji41][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I agree Jenn in relation to throwing someones stuff overboard....not only over the top but also breaching maritime law! I also agree with avoiding an argument, but it can be a big deal if, for example, there's no space in the shade when people are hogging two spaces. It all comes down to respect for fellow passengers.

Tom, I enjoyed reading your review and thanks. Also thanks for bringing back the wonderful memories we had on this cruise from Dubai to Singapore. We are looking forward cruising on the Ovation OTS again. :)

On the side note for the shows. Even though you have made reservation, it would be advisable to be there at least half hour earlier for better seats without blockages. :)

Glad you enjoyed the review and glad you had a great cruise.

Good point re. the shows. I forgot to mention that having booked Spectre we arrived in Two70 about 40 mins before to get a good spot. They scan your seapass card but do let those without bookings in if there's space when it gets closer to showtime.

• 2 years later...