I can't make myself buy the in room bottle of booze...

john91498

I have never attempted smuggling alcohol but did purchase 2 bottles on our 1st cruise. It really didn't work out very well for us. Having to run back n forth to the cabin for refills was a PITA. Most times we just ordered from the bar and as a result really didn't save at all.

I have nothing but respect for the people who make this work but for us it just didn't pan out.

I don't use them on my Princess cruises. Only one person in a cabin has to buy drink packages. Plus the in room bottle prices are half of Carnival. Also Princess has a great happy hour. So no need to smuggle.

Princess liquor bottles are smaller, can't remember the differences but the prices are close. Rum runners are not invisible, they show up on X-ray machines really well. I know people who have been caught using them. They will never be able to catch everyone, they just don't have the man power or the time, not like TSA inspectors otherwise it wouldn't be safe to fly.

We get the cheers package but also get a bottle of Crown for the room, Its easy to stock up on a few beers in the room, but running up to get a drink for the DW while relaxing on the balcony is just to inconvenient.

That's because their guests are not as likely as Carnival's to overindulge and cause problems. The atmosphere on HAL and Princess is much more subdued than Carnival's is. JMHO Your opinion may be different.

I would have to agree with your opinion :D

That's because their guests are not as likely as Carnival's to overindulge and cause problems. The atmosphere on HAL and Princess is much more subdued than Carnival's is. JMHO Your opinion may be different.

Thats an apples to oranges comparison....the average age of a HAL/Princess cruiser is about 106 yrs old (ok, just a little exaggeration :D). So with or without booze they are more subdued

Edited by First and Ten

Princess liquor bottles are smaller, can't remember the differences but the prices are close. Rum runners are not invisible, they show up on X-ray machines really well. I know people who have been caught using them. They will never be able to catch everyone, they just don't have the man power or the time, not like TSA inspectors otherwise it wouldn't be safe to fly.

We get the cheers package but also get a bottle of Crown for the room, Its easy to stock up on a few beers in the room, but running up to get a drink for the DW while relaxing on the balcony is just to inconvenient.

Yeah they sell the 375 for anywhere between 15 and $20. That makes a 750 between $30 and $40. Less than a litre but still about half of what Carnival charges. But that is their main clientele. Retired folks on a limited income. But these folks cruise more often.

I'm with you on this one. $85 for a 1 liter bottle of Absolut? No way. I'm not condoning smuggling alcohol on board but I don't blame people who do.

I can purchase a 1.75 Liter bottle of Absolut for $27 at my local liquor store without coupons or loyalty card discounts.

I know someone that sails with her husband every year and manage to get it on in their case. Dishonest, yes, but if prices were not so high like they have said they would gladly pay the room prices. Of course there will be some out there that will condemn my friend and her husband for this but ask yourselves who are the smart one's ? I myself have purchased thru bon voyage but in all honesty I am not so desperate for a drink that I would continue paying those prices now I do without.

I know someone that sails with her husband every year and manage to get it on in their case. Dishonest, yes, but if prices were not so high like they have said they would gladly pay the room prices. Of course there will be some out there that will condemn my friend and her husband for this but ask yourselves who are the smart one's ? I myself have purchased thru bon voyage but in all honesty I am not so desperate for a drink that I would continue paying those prices now I do without.

I always bring on two bottles each cruise. Have never had a problem.

I do not support monopolies, especially on a cruise line that picks and chooses what rules they want to enforce.

And it's not even a legal issue.