Another cell phone question

ESM....hope everything worked out.

I always give the ship's contact number to a family member or any associates who may need it in a dire emergency. As mentioned, no one has taken advantage of contacting me on my cruises since I told them they had to cover the charges for the call(s)/data.

ESM....hope everything worked out.

I always give the ship's contact number to a family member or any associates who may need it in a dire emergency. As mentioned, no one has taken advantage of contacting me on my cruises since I told them they had to cover the charges for the call(s)/data.

it did in the most positive way in a negative situation....... I was able to be contacted, get on a flight home from Bermuda, and to have my time with an immediate family member who then passed ..... it all happened before the date my cruise ended..

Thank you for asking graphicguy! I didn't share my experience for sympathy or dramatic effect but more to shine a light on ridiculous advice to "shut your phone off", "you're on vacation and nothing can be so important it can't wait", etc. (by the way, not implying graphicguy gave that "advice").

Too many people on message boards and forums love to answer questions or give advice or make comments without looking at something in 360...... I'm guilty sometimes seeing a specific topic from one point of view but specific statements on a general topic boggles my mind when the advice is "well, vacation closer to home" or "well, I guess you just watch the travel channel if you need to be connected and available on a moment's notice", etc

Ramble is over

Thank you again for all the advice. While I would love to be able to not have my phone with me it's just not possible. I appreciate the info given and have contacted verizon regarding their global plan. We leave on July 24th and I can't wait:):D

it did in the most positive way in a negative situation....... I was able to be contacted, get on a flight home from Bermuda, and to have my time with an immediate family member who then passed ..... it all happened before the date my cruise ended..

Thank you for asking graphicguy! I didn't share my experience for sympathy or dramatic effect but more to shine a light on ridiculous advice to "shut your phone off", "you're on vacation and nothing can be so important it can't wait", etc. (by the way, not implying graphicguy gave that "advice").

Too many people on message boards and forums love to answer questions or give advice or make comments without looking at something in 360...... I'm guilty sometimes seeing a specific topic from one point of view but specific statements on a general topic boggles my mind when the advice is "well, vacation closer to home" or "well, I guess you just watch the travel channel if you need to be connected and available on a moment's notice", etc

Ramble is over

Making the best out of a bad situation is the outcome we all hope for.

I understand your thought process.

I'm on the other side of that same coin. Whether it be an illness, work crisis, friend crisis, family crisis, etc I believe there is very little I can do about any of it while at sea.

A death in the family is one of those (rare) occassions that you have to leave quickly, while at sea. That said, even then, you can't leave until you arrive at the next port, so even there, not much can be done. I do leave the ship's contact phone number with those who may need it.

But, as of yet, no one has used it.

I am serious about my offer for anyone who may need to contact me to let me know in advance, and I'll leave my cell phone on, if they cover the charges. Again, no one has taken me up on that offer. All those emergency work, family, friend calls, weren't so important once they had to foot the bill. I can guarantee if I were covering the charges, I would get phone calls to talk about the most mundane and silliest things imagineable, from work, family and friends. I put a stop to that....especially since the bill from my work ended up being several hundred dollars when they insisted on me taking my work cell phone with me.

We have all seen people on their cell phones on cruises. Dip into their conversations from the line your in, or the next table at the buffet or MDR, etc, and I've never overheard one of them strike a serious tone.

Yet, I've seen those same people in the customer service line later in the cruise loudly protesting the phone charges on their bill, or worse, airing out their grievances to me, like I was the one who made the phone call(s).

My advice is, and continues to be, turn your cell service off once you leave shore. If someone REALLY needs to reach you, NCL has a number for them to call to reach you. Use the iConcierge app to communicate on board with each other on board. Leave the number for NCL to anyone who might have an emergency and would need to reach you....(888) 627-4477.

That way, no ugly surprises about your bill at the end of the cruise or from your mobile provider when you get home.