Stockholm

jiminyC_fan

We were on this cruise last summer and stayed two extra nights at the Sheraton Stockholm on the Executive Level. Very nice hotel and the executive level comes with free food and drinks almost all day long. We thought it was very nice and a great deal if you were on the Executive Level with all the freebies. A/C worked great and we actually needed it. Also you can walk from hotel to train station (about a block max) to catch the Arlanda Express train which gets you to the airport in 20 minutes. Very easy to do!!!

• 2 months later...
Thanks Dauntless

I will look forward to your review of the hotel.

thanks for the transfer info too...we will probably still use Viking air since it was a special 795/pp but we will have to pay the deviation and choice options......

Back from the cruise and you better plan on really enjoying yourself on the journey. It offers many opportunities for memories of a lifetime. Our hotel was First Hotel Reisen in Stockholm.

We did use Arlanda Express from the airport. Getting through customs and to the train was quick and easy. They now offer discounts to all on their website. The amount of discount depends on how early you book. We wound up taking taxi to the hotel after we picked up Stockholm Pass near Grand Central. We paid in SEK but the taxi driver thought we had paid too much(don't remember exact rate but we did ask for estimate before we got in) When he tried to give us the money back we pointed out that we had not paid in Euro(so I guess that happens often there) and then he agreed the amount was indeed correct. Though he knew we were new to the city, I tried to point out a few things to my friend along the way so the driver would know I had some knowledge of the city and would not try to take the long way. I don't know if it made a difference but I felt like it was a kind of insurance.

We arrived at the hotel around 10:30 am and our room was ready so we could put bags there and headed out to explore after we looked over the options of the Stockholm Pass. We arrived 3 days early. The hotel was charming from the entry off the street. The desk help could not have been more helpful throughout shift changes. I did experience some difficulty with wifi and my computer but my friend had no problems gaining access through his Kindle. We overlooked the Baltic and could see where the ship would dock from our room. It could be walking distance but I would not recommend it due to the construction around Slaussen. We had time on our Stockholm Pass and took the hop on hop off option to the port. We arrived early so there wasn't a problem with the luggage and there is a space on the lower level for the short trip if there is not a wheelchair on board. If it had been occupied we could have able to use excess seating on our trip. It is about a 2-3 block walk from where you are let off to the ship's location. Factor in your variables to see if this might be an option for you.

Back to the hotel. It is diffidently a European clientele. English is easily found but there will be other languages heard in conversation. Elevator available but no AC or safe in the room(though you can use front desk storage--we did not). The restaurant had charm and I must say that their included breakfast was plentiful and a delight to choose from each morning. Inside or street side seating.

You are in Gamla Stan so nothing in central Stockholm is far. There is a bus stop a few steps out the front door for easy access. If you take the travel option with the pass, public transportation is included. It is about a 15 minute walk to the metro but it is also included with the pass and an option.

Your room key card will work the lights, elevator and door lock. We found this to be the pattern while we were on our vacation.

It is a European chain but it has old world charm, not Scandic design. It won't be mistaken for the Marriott Marquee in NYC but that is not why I'm going to Europe.

For the overall experience, I would certainly reccommend.