Stockholm

jiminyC_fan

Hi,

We just booked our Viking Homeland cruise with a pre stay in Stockholm. Could someone please tell me what hotel or hotels are used by Viking. On our River Cruise I was able to plan our Amsterdam stay around the hotel that is used by them.

Also, if anyone has used a private tour company in Stockholm that they loved I would love to get some feedback on one. We had the best private tour guide in Amsterdam that took us out of the city.

Any must do's and don'ts for Stockholm?

Thanks so much.

You are very fortunate. Our first Avalon river cruise we did their hotels then we added up what it cost. Could have done a week long ocean cruise for that amount. Lucky you!!! On our second Avalon cruise we got the Mövenpick for $85...for the room not per person. The Avalon folks were at the same hotel- paying much much more. You are so lucky that you don't have to worry about $$.

Edited by stretchcruz

Thank you. I have considered it. We love the convenience so the $$ doesn't enter into it......for us.

$$ may not enter into it for you but being short changed really bothers me. Their offer includes nothing but someone to talk to and transfers. If you are traveling with someone, you probably already have that. You probably could book directly with the hotel for a fraction of the cost and the savings could be applied to the transfers, that the hotel would probably arrange for you and a good part of private guide cost. We saved 33% on our hotel and applied the extra money to Stockholm Pass for the touristy stuff. Your money and your idea of value.

I didn't want my question to come across bad. It's just when vacationing in Europe where I don't feel as comfortable booking on my own so we choose that route. Mexico, the US, places like that I do it all on my own. Europe intimidates me to no end so I like that there are reps looking out for us and can point us in the right direction.

Edited by jiminyC_fan

I did Viking's Stockholm pre-trip last month (prior to the May 15th Homelands sailing on the Star). We stayed at the Radisson Blu Waterfront. Location was great--next to the central train station, 5 minute walk to City Hall and a bit longer to Gamla Stan. The breakfast was great!

On our arrival day, we did the 4pm tour with Free Tours Stockholm. We met at Sergels Torg, which was a short walk from the hotel. Our guide was great--I never remember names but she's a British ex-pat. The tour gave us the "lay of the land" and all it cost was the tip. The remainder of our time in Stockholm was done on our own. We used the tram to Djurgarden to see the Vasa, Nordic Museum and Skansen (ferry for the return). I walked to City Hall for a tour and 2 minutes away picked up the ferry to Drottingholm Palace.

I decided to to Viking's pre-trip because this was the longest trip I'd ever taken and the planning for all the ports was a bit daunting. If I had to choose a hotel in Stockholm I think my head would have exploded! I found the staff incredibly helpful and not just people to talk to. They answered every question I had, made phone calls on my behalf, and pointed me in the right direction many times. When you transfer to the ship, you do not have to go on the bus if you don't want to--just let the representatives know. You still leave your luggage out and they will take it.

Please feel free to ask any other questions you might have!

I did Viking's Stockholm pre-trip last month (prior to the May 15th Homelands sailing on the Star).

Please feel free to ask any other questions you might have!

OK, it sounds like you and I might be on the same page. Did you make the trip to Berlin? I am trying to figure out where the bus tour lets you off for the time on your own and where you are picked up to be taken to the train in Berlin. There are so many things in the city to see and I know time will be limited. Many may be touched upon on the bus tour. I figure it will be panoramic but when we put feet to the pavement, I want to have an idea of what can be accomplished. Your insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Sorry I can't help with Berlin. We were there a year and a half ago (I loved it), so we opted for the Lubeck/Wismar excursion.

Here are the other Viking excursions I took in case you want to know more:

Helsinki included (then went to Soumenlinna island on my own)

Old Town Tallinn & Chocolate Factory

Stutthof Concentration Camp

Lubeck and Wismar

Copenhagen and the Coast, Evening Jazz Cruise (did go to Tivoli on our own)

Alborg included

Flam-Full day rail Journey to Voss

We had booked other tours with Viking in Tallinn and Stavanger with Viking that were canceled, so we had to adjust. We changed to the included tour in Stavanger, then the content of the tour was changed, so we did it on our own.

Our cruise ended in Stockholm and we had booked a Viking paid excursion that was a tour of Stockholm's waterways by boat. It was, unfortunately, cancelled by, according to Viking, their provider. When we got there and saw the islands that make up Stockholm, we were more disappointed to have missed that tour. There are boats sitting in the water near the Viking dock waiting to be booked for a water tour of the city's islands. I would recommend doing that if you can, but can't supply a name. Perhaps the tour will be offered by Viking by the time you arrive.

Dear Lucky Granny,

We’ve enjoyed following along with your posts and reading about your recent cruise aboard Viking Sea! While we are delighted that you enjoyed your overall experience, we have also made note of your disappointments, including the cancelled tour in Stockholm.

Your feedback is important us and, should you wish to review your experience with a Viking representative, we would be happy to hear from you at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Lucky Granny, thank you for the opportunity to respond and for your loyalty to Viking Cruises. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

Our cruise ended in Stockholm and we had booked a Viking paid excursion that was a tour of Stockholm's waterways by boat. It was, unfortunately, cancelled by, according to Viking, their provider. When we got there and saw the islands that make up Stockholm, we were more disappointed to have missed that tour. There are boats sitting in the water near the Viking dock waiting to be booked for a water tour of the city's islands. I would recommend doing that if you can, but can't supply a name. Perhaps the tour will be offered by Viking by the time you arrive.

Dear Lucky Granny,

We’ve enjoyed following along with your posts and reading about your recent cruise aboard Viking Sea! While we are delighted that you enjoyed your overall experience, we have also made note of your disappointments, including the cancelled tour in Stockholm.

Your feedback is important us and, should you wish to review your experience with a Viking representative, we would be happy to hear from you at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Lucky Granny, thank you for the opportunity to respond and for your loyalty to Viking Cruises. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

Thank you, Viking. I did not have many disappointments and have already reported them somewhere or another. And I am sure you are well aware of the problems with the shore excursion booking website. But, if the need arises, I will contact your email.

Thank you! I appreciate your response.

Our cruise will end in Stockholm in May of 2017. Trying to decide if we should do it on our own or just use Viking's post cruise @ $599/pp (which seems high for room, breakfast and transfers).

How far and does anyone know cost of transfer to the airport from a downtown hotel?

Will we be sorry that we dont extend the trip? we have one day during the cruise, arriving at noon and leave the following morning?

Our cruise will end in Stockholm in May of 2017. Trying to decide if we should do it on our own or just use Viking's post cruise @ $599/pp (which seems high for room, breakfast and transfers).

How far and does anyone know cost of transfer to the airport from a downtown hotel?

Will we be sorry that we dont extend the trip? we have one day during the cruise, arriving at noon and leave the following morning?

I guess that depends if you've been to Stockholm before. It will be at the end of a fairly extensive destination packed cruise. You might want to take in the sights on your own at a more leisurely pace. Do you think you'll go back someday? Though our cruise starts there and ends in Bergen we decided to extend on both ends of our cruise on our own. Also changed to doing our own air.

Now the other factors. Viking's price is high for what they offer. We're in a standard deluxe room in a hotel in Gamla Stan with a room over looking the Baltic. A European chain but not newly built but with the character of the area and it includes breakfast for $236 a night. They offered transfers arrangement for around $66 to the hotel. You can see the port from the hotel so that should be reasonable cost wise. We will take the Arlanda express from the airport since we're mobile and qualify for the Senior rate of about $20 for the 20 min ride on the express train. Regular traffic is about an hour transport. The Viking hotel is right at the central station and ours is about a half mile away. The ratings on these properties is basically the same. All the considerations we opted not to use Viking offer. I'm not sure what the rate is at Raddison Blu Waterfront(which is the hotel I heard about recently as their choice hotel). Our cruise is this Sept so we both are in that 'Shoulder' season. We have had the cruise booked since March 2014 and I've been watching the rates all that time and we finally booked in January. In all that time, they didn't really fluctuate all that much for that time of year.

There's our plan. The savings on not using the Viking package can be used for the Stockholm pass and a version of most of the things the cruise offers can be had with that pass. It was an easy decision for us. We're not world travelers so why not take the time to experience what you're going for if you don't have to break the bank to do it?

Thanks Dauntless

I will look forward to your review of the hotel.

thanks for the transfer info too...we will probably still use Viking air since it was a special 795/pp but we will have to pay the deviation and choice options......

Thanks Dauntless

I will look forward to your review of the hotel.

thanks for the transfer info too...we will probably still use Viking air since it was a special 795/pp but we will have to pay the deviation and choice options......

From you location that may be a very good price. From our location, even with a supposed $1000 off per ticket our cost was going to be $1495 each and that did not cover the deviation fee or any extra cost for special arrangements.

deec, all I can say is there is not one right way. Do what YOU feel comfortable doing whether on your own or through Viking. I must say that we took a Viking River Cruise. We added on a pre-cruise and extremely sorry now that we didn't do the post cruise, also. If you think you will be disappointed one iota then book it.

We are on the Viking Star departing from Stockholm on July 10. We have not been to Stockholm before and really doubt we will return, so decided to arrange our own 2 day pre-cruise stay and tour. I booked my wife & I into the Radisson Blu Waterfront, not realizing this is the Viking place for pre-cruise package stays. I paid $545 total for 2 nights in a business class room, including breakfast. I also bought us the one-day Stockholm passes as it included several of our desired itinerary items (Drotnigham Palace, HOHO boats cruise, Abba museum, and some others). Hope I did the right thing but we also enjoy venturing out around town on our own. Good to hear that the hotel staff is so accommodating!

Looking forward to the cruise and booked 3 of the Viking paid tours and 3 of the "freebie" included tours. Booked with private tours in the rest of the ports, that I found in TripAdvisor or in concert with some fellow passengers have met on this website. Glad to see the ship has ironed out the many bugs from their maiden and initial voyages since we booked over two years ago. Never booked with Viking before and never wanted to, but were very impressed with their planned itinerary for this cruise, and really happy to see all the great reviews the ship 7 crew are getting to date.

I think we have decided to stay in Stockholm for 2 additional nights... waiting for viking to tell us how much the deviation fee will be before booking the room....The Victory hotel looks interesting to us!

We just a DIY tour in Norway, Sweden and Denmark this May and we are booked on the Homelands Baltic cruise June 2017.

Stockholm city center is easy to get to on the Arlanda train from the airport. The Arlanda train is at the airport. Super easy. Everyone helps if you think you can't find the right way to go.

We stayed at the Radisson Blu Strand. We are going to do that again. Strand is in a superior position with fabulous restaurants all around. There is a bus stop, hop on hop off bus stop and a hop on hop off boat stop all there. More expensive than the Radisson Waterfront.

City pass is well worth buying if you are there for a few days. It does not include transportation unlike the Oslo and Copenhahen cards. Buy the cards at the passes at the train station or visitors center. You can buy transportation passes at 7/11's but they don't understand English. Much better at the visitors center.

Stockholm is a beautiful city that we enjoyed very much. Looking forward to more time there.

jiminy c fan--

Sorry I didn't see your question sooner. I googled free tour options in Stockholm and found Free Tours Stockholm. Their website gives you tour options, days, times, etc. Basically, you just show up at the meeting point and the correct time and go on the tour. There is no registration or anything. The tour itself is free. It's up to you whether or not you want to tip your guide. It worked for us as something to do on arrival day. We got to know the area around the hotel and how to get to Gamla Stan.